It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coming Soon To A Forest Near You... Franken-Trees! Courtesy By Monsanto & ArborGen

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Monsanto and ArborGen set their sights on GM trees and grasses

What's wrong with out trees?

Can't we just leave nature alone for once?

Not satisfied to own or control our food crops, Monsanto and its spinoff ArborGen have also set their sights on genetically modified trees and grasses. Despite a groundswell of objections by scientists and activists, the USDA has turned a deaf ear to their concerns and has instead aided and abetted Monsanto's plans.

Talk about bought and infiltrated huh?

In recent years, Monsanto and ArborGen have been developing GM trees including trees modified to withstand Monsanto's Roundup, trees designed with a reduced lignin content to appeal to paper making and construction industries (lignin gives trees their strength and rigidity) and "terminator trees" which don't produce seeds. In Hawaii, there has already been a contamination issue with GM papaya - the world's first commercially planted genetically engineered tree.

Why are we cutting down the things that provide us with our much needed oxygen, for paper?

You know that thingy when you paint it green and put a presidents face on it, suddenly has value.

Yes that one.

We should use hemp for paper.

I wonder what problems this will cause, since their roundup has been killing of bees in massive numbers.

One of the GM trees currently being readied planting is GM Eucalyptus, despite numerous unresolved and unstudied concerns such as:

*Cryptococcus neoformans gattii, a yeast pathogen hosted by a variety of Eucalyptus species. It causes systemic fungal infections in humans, leading to fungal meningitis and death.

*Cold tolerance C-Repeat Binding Factor (CBF) genes such as those found in transgenic Eucalyptus trees that have been associated with stunted growth and production in potatoes. CBF gene modification produces highly pleiotropic effects but there does not appear to have been any investigation on the production of unintended metabolites, proteins, or nuclei acids in the modified trees.

*Transgenes, such as the ones involved in the Agrobacterium vector used in creating the transgenic trees, which can enlarge their host range to infect other species and exchange genes with them through hormones produced at the site of plant wounds.

*As reported by MSNBC and PLoS Pathogens, a new strain of a deadly fungus, Cryptococcus gattii, that has been causing fatal human illnesses throughout the Pacific Northwest. The fungus, which is known to grow on eucalyptus trees, has killed 40 out of 220 people infected throughout the region. The reduced lignin in GM eucalyptus has raised concerns that the trees could be more susceptible to infection.

*Pollen from GM Eucalyptus trees can travel almost twice as far as the ArboGen application stated. Pollen from other GM trees can travel for over 40 kilometers.

This powerhungry monster that is called Monsanto should be stopped people, how much are we going to let them take?

Soon our whole world will be genetically modified....

source
edit on 27-4-2012 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-4-2012 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Something tells me the name Monsanto will become as synonymous with disaster and evil as Adolph HItler or Genghis Khan for centuries to hear and learn about in the future.

All they're doing is just fine and the neatest thing since sliced bread and the 8-Track tape ..in a LAB. I don't think these white coat God types fully consider or perhaps just don't care that Nature isn't their lab and every mutation THEY make will be met with dozens or hundreds of tiny little adaptations and mods by nature herself when SHE gets a crack at things. They think they know how Nature will want to tinker back? ugh......

Known for centuries I tell you... that name WILL repeated long after they're gone.
edit on 27-4-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
kewl now we can have cheap grass

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Can't we just leave nature alone for once?

I totally agree with you! This really gets my blood boiling. I for one I am sick of these genetically altered plants. I think it spells big trouble. Who the heck are these people playing God with our perfectly fine mother nature. The consequences will fall on us all!

Meanwhile I try to plant only heirloom veggies and flowers but it is becoming more difficult to find them every year. My hopes are that the demand is high so more people are doing the same.

edit on 4/27/2012 by restlessinMT because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Is there any entity more evil than Monsanto?

Peace

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
So, what is anyone doing about it other than complaining about it here? It may not be much but I call and email my congressman every time someone posts more of this info. I try to encourage others to do the same at my office and within my family. I will be sending this info after this post. I also try to boycott monsanto products. It is hard since they have so many subsidiaries but I try.

So, what are you doing about it?

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Maybe they are doing this so we wont be able to plant our own food when the SHTF.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Terrible.

I am sure the flora's defences won't be pretty.

My opinion is that they are more concious than people give credit for.

Not everything and probablly nothing is unconcious of us and our actions againt it.

Hopefully our lack of vision as a species brings us a beginning and not an end.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Bakatono

What i'm doing about it.

Well first of all i inform all that visit this thread.

I trie to inform others in intellectual manner, hoping to enlighten those people as to how evil monsanto is.

Took part in a demonstration as well.

But since we're emailing people, i'll make sure branc of monsanto that is located here, get a pie e of my mind.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Treespeaker

Just think about how things are going to be when we can't kill certain plants since monsanto has made these abominations immune to herbicides. So, now we have an unkillable mutant tree/grass/corn/soy/wheat/etc... Who knows what sort of nasty things these plants will turn into and then there is no way to easily get rid of them or their progeny.

We sure know how to # up the planet.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I feel sick just reading this, I cry for humanities future with Monsanto engineering anything, thanks for the heads up.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Can I ask if you agree with in-vitro fertilisation in humans before I read any further....?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   
News like this just kills my morning.

I cannot understand how come it's possible to business like monsanto to be at existence.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by pacifier2012
Can I ask if you agree with in-vitro fertilisation in humans before I read any further....?

Yes i do.

Why am i to sat that people who are unable to concieve a child the naturel way, cant try IVF.

I don't agree messing with nature to make trees more resistant to bugs etc, those are here for a reason.

Just look at what it did to the bees around the world.

Your comparison is moot imo.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Monsanto invulnerability is based on their corrupted political control and government connections, as we all know. They forgot GOD, big mistake. This is His creation, expect His wrath.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman
Monsanto invulnerability is based on their corrupted political control and government connections, as we all know. They forgot GOD, big mistake. This is His creation, expect His wrath.

Well Monsanto obviously think they can do a better job at creating nature then Him.
They took over the role of God and i sincerely hope they get punished for it.

I don´t hope he punishes all of humanity, because we didn´t do a whole lot to stop this madness that is Monsanto.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I read about this last year and reported it on the Boycott Monsanto FB page. The FB group was started by one of our ATS members and I joined it right away. After a few weeks of being the only one to post anything, I gave up on it. Just recently I removed my posts and quit that FB page.

I'm very paranoid lately about my internet presence and have decreased my internet foot print as much as I can. When the real opposition to Monsanto rises up, I'll do what I can under the radar, until then I'm basically keeping my mouth shut. Actions will speak louder than any words.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Is this real life? I feel like I'm on a permanent bad hallucinogenic trip. I agree that hemp should be used to make paper, but that would be too easy now wouldn't it? Not enough profits in using a quick, cheap and replenishable plant? I just don't understand what's going on in the world anymore. I have lost all hope for humanity these ruthless elites have too much power and control and I just don't see any way to bring them down. Monsanto is probably one of the most evil corps on this planet and yet they thrive and prosper more each day while destroying us and our planet.

It's pretty obvious that congress works for the lobbyists. You can see how many people that were appointed government positions worked for these big corps or vice versa. I feel hopeless and hope that this won't be for too much longer.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I don't understand why we are not doing an Occupy Monsanto? These companies need to be destroyed and all their funding pulled and never be allowed to exist again. This is absolutely and outright disgusting and is going to result in starvation and famine.

Monsanto needs to be wiped out of existence by multiple litigations, law, occupy, anti-monsanto billboards, and a whole ground movement to instill in people just how evil this corp is. If Satan exists, then Monsanto is Satan.

I

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Well one thing I'm doing about it is I avoid all GM foods and GM anything. This takes a bit of effort and getting used to, making all my own food and rarely buying any packaged food (which would be NICE sometimes to be able to do!) But yeah, I know so many people who say, "Monsanto and GM are BAD" and they still eat it. I mean what does it say when the people KNOW what GMOs are and are against them can't even be bothered to avoid them? People say they're unstoppable, have too much power, etc., but no corporation OR government would be successful with this crap if no one bought it! I go out of my way to find out if certain things have GMO in them. I email the companies who make certain foods I like. And I tell them I won't buy their product if it contains GMOs and in one case, they changed it!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join