It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Analytic Thinking Promotes Religious Disbelief", Science 27 April 2012

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Hi, found this one today and thought you might be interested in it:
www.sciencemag.org...

Abstract of the abstract: "..Combined, these studies indicate that analytic processing is one factor (presumably among several) that promotes religious disbelief.."

In other words: If you thought about even a simple question like "if ball and cub cost 1.10$ and the cub costs 1$ more than the ball, what are the prices?", the analytical part of your brain will kick in - afterwards your are considerably less religious.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Here is a bunch more analytical thinking, even on the part of Jesus:

ebionite.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ManFromEurope

A different article but same subject... seems interesting.

Deliberate analytical thinking can cause people to believe less in God, according to a new study. The researchers, who found that religious belief arises from gut feelings, were quick to say their study was not a referendum on the value of religion. Both analytical thinking and the intuitive processing that seems to promote religious beliefs are important, said study researcher Will Gervais.

"Both are useful tools," said Gervais, a doctoral candidate in psychology at the University of British Columbia. "Ultimately, these studies are looking at cognitive factors that might influence belief or disbelief, but they don't have anything to say about the inherent rationality or worth of religion."

www.livescience.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Yea its amazing what data will confess to if you torture it enough ..And just how about these scientist ,Back in the 60s they were saying we were going to go threw a ice age ..then of course they changed that to global warming oops climate change ...now I guess the data is saying so many conflicting things that they are forming a task force made up of tea leaves reading experts so they can form a consciences ....peace

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

There are scientists who would give you money if they could scan your brain while you were thinking just like that - nuns weren't hardcore enough, I guess.

Honestly, you just can't negate the wholeness of science by using errors made (and corrected up to now) by a subsample of scientists. If you do, you discredit only yourself.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Personally I don't have the amount of gray material to be a scientist ..but I can see how scientific studies tend to change on what seemed to be just opinions in the first place ...Well maybe they were something more than opinions to begin with,you do know some Corps.hire scientist to create the opinions in the first place ...It may have something to do with $$ ..And it wouldn't be too hard to look threw the archives of history to find professionals making statements that we might find either draconian or just plain false today ...peace

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   

It might just be that as God believing people occupy their minds with other things of this world ,it could result in what is known in the field as weak faith ..that would explain why some have more than others ...Its not like they don't believe there is a God but they have less faith that He does exist.. I know that is how it works for me.. .peace

edit on 27-4-2012 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-4-2012 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Here is a thought ...If Analytic Thinking Can Decrease Religious Belief, how could Famous Scientists Who Believed in God have arrived at their beliefs ..www.godandscience.org... There is a short interview with Dr Francis Collins that may hold some clues ....peace

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by the2ofusr1

Here is a thought ...If Analytic Thinking Can Decrease Religious Belief, how could Famous Scientists Who Believed in God have arrived at their beliefs ..www.godandscience.org... There is a short interview with Dr Francis Collins that may hold some clues ....peace

I would like to say fear of persecution and ridicule, now its more open and easy to come out as a non-believer than before.. they probably were skeptical but kept it in them... but its definitely true, the more you think, the more you question about things you believe which is the best way to break out of the mould.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I've been called an "over-analyzer" and I consider myself religious.

2nd line.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
My favorite observation of this little study is this one:

www.latimes.com...

First, students were randomly assigned to look at images of Auguste Rodin's sculpture "The Thinker," or of the ancient Greek statue of a discus thrower, "Discobolus." Those who viewed "The Thinker" were prompted to think more analytically and expressed less belief in God — they scored an average of 41.42 on a 100-point scale, compared with an average of 61.55 for the group that viewed the discus thrower, according to the study.

This would tend to suggest that all the Sports minded are the intuitive types not given to logic and critical thinking. Sports minded do things on impulse. Toss them an idea and they'll run with it, even in the wrong directions and without checking for accuracy.

As an example of the problems this causes. This would explain why this lower realm type mindset would take off on making Jesus god with the rejection of Jesus' own words of not being god:

ebionite.com...

Perhaps more importantly is the fact that Yeshua referred to himself as a prophet, as seen in the words: "But Jesus said to them, ‘A prophet is not without honor except in his own country and in his own house’" (Matt 13:57 RSV). When conversing about his crucifixion, Yeshua again spoke of himself as a prophet, as seen where it is written: "Yes, today, tomorrow, and the next day I must proceed on my way. For it wouldn’t do for a prophet of God to be killed except in Jerusalem!" (Luke 13:33 NLT). Thus, Yeshua told his disciples and followers that he was a prophet.

It appears this study has found a valid point or two.

join