It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assembly GAC Files will it make a difference?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Okay looks like on my restore disk for XP, that most of the Assembly/GAC files are corrupted. Now, would it make it difference if I just copied and transferred the Assembly/GAC files of Windows 7 to XP? I think that's all I need to do correct my Windows XP.

Now I do have a Windows Media disk but it's not the same version as the one on my restore disk. I can't find the Assembly/GAC files on it without actually installing it.

I'm just curious. Seems like it would be an easier task. I just figure it would be easier to transfer the ones on my computer to a disk and just transfer it to the same directory on my other computer for the XP. Rather then trying to search all over for it on restore disk and actually having to install the Windows media disk.

Thanks.
edit on 26-4-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Versions are definitely not interchangeable in that way. Heck, I've had 100% valid CD-Keys be rejected on me using the right version in the right context. Go figure.. Windows is Winblows but it's all we have.

Do you not have a clean Win 7 disk to just reformat and start fresh? After the thread last night, I'm guessing your in one of those Microsoft Purgatory places where nothing works right and every set of directions leads to more frustration?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

No. You'll just increase your existing problems. Here:

How to copy an assembly from the GAC

The problem is that you can't copy/access the files directly without doing some fiddling. You may have to use the "subst" command to refer to the GAC as a hard drive. Or you can change a registry setting to make it browsable (that's what I'd do).

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Oh this is for XP not my Win 7 version. That is already corrected with the disk. Win 7 is not corrupted. It's my emachine windows xp restore disk that is corrupted Wrabbit

Hmm.

Wonder if there is a way to copy the restore disk onto another disk to try to save those files or repair those files without losing it.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Before you walk into another circle of Hell like last night, here's another suggestion: Download a copy of Windows from the Internet. There is nothing wrong or illegal about getting a copy from some source, any source, and installing it. Then you'll have to call Microsoft to register it, using your existing legal key. They don't need to know, and won't care, where you got the installation copy....

ETA: Download an .iso and create a bootable CD to install from. Try the demonoid.me or isohunt.com sites.
edit on 4/26/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2

No. You'll just increase your existing problems. Here:

How to copy an assembly from the GAC

The problem is that you can't copy/access the files directly without doing some fiddling. You may have to use the "subst" command to refer to the GAC as a hard drive. Or you can change a registry setting to make it browsable (that's what I'd do).

Gosh darn, why does that look difficult and time consuming? I checked yahoo but I was only getting wiki answers. Thanks for finding that. Thank you. That looks very very useful.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

I already have my OEM key. I should have no problem registering it online right?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   

OK. It's past my bedtime again, so I'm going to leave it at that. You're a smart cookie; you'll figure it out. Good night.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
reply to post by Ex_CT2

I already have my OEM key. I should have no problem registering it online right?

Correct, I think. You shouldn't have any problem. If you do, I know some tricks. I'll check back sometime tomorrow....

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
If someone didn't steal all my OEM XP editions wouldn't be having this problem. So, annoying.
I hate thieves.

Thanks

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Hmmm that website you brought me too, looks like there is a program called GACView where you copy files, I'm going to try that.

See if that works.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I'm just buying another restore disk at restore disk.com $26 bucks. What would be nice if Microsoft replaced the disks that got stolen. Yuh, I don't even mind paying for the disks. But I shouldn't have to spend over $200 on disks that I already paid money on. Bah. I had XP Pro and I would of used that. But I don't think I can.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
MUHAHAHA

I RULE!

Got My windows XP Pro back from the restore disk and everything works. Now I have to download again. BAH..

What happened on on my emachine is when the neice to Justin Bieber's website, I think she may have gotten some type of virus or something, because it totally wiped all the files out of the start menu and the Programs menu and I had 0 access for anything.

[I'm bad, I'm bad, I know I'm bad] Singing....

Sister is going love me.

Persistance persistance persistance.

Even got rid that dang GRUB error.

+Don't know why I have to always make things so difficult. (Restore disk worked) But GAC files are missing and probably be replaced with the latest updates.

top topics

join