It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do the Milky Way's companions spell trouble for dark matter?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
in a release from physorg,

Team member Pavel Kroupa, professor for astronomy at the University of Bonn, adds “We were baffled by how well the distributions of the different types of objects agreed with each other”. As the different companions move around the Milky Way, they lose material, stars and sometimes gas, which forms long streams along their paths. The new results show that this lost material is aligned with the plane of galaxies and clusters too. “This illustrates that the objects are not only situated within this plane right now, but that they move within it”, says Pawlowski. “The structure is stable.”

physorg

the bit that caught my attension,

Kroupa concludes by highlighting the wider significance of the new work. “Our model appears to rule out the presence of dark matter in the universe, threatening a central pillar of current cosmological theory. We see this as the beginning of a paradigm shift, one that will ultimately lead us to a new understanding of the universe we inhabit.”

very interesting considering that the movement of satalite globular and dwarf galaxies have a prefered axis of rotation

you want to watch the video as it is short and explains it much better than me,

imagine a universe without dark matter

xploder

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I always felt like dark matter was a handwave.

If it exists why doesn't it all slowly collect in gravity wells making the gravity wells deeper in a positive feeback loop until everything is black holes?

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Right Angles:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

In a way it's reminiscent of a slightly too-good night at The Pub.
"They lose material"
They lose things, keys, wallet, the ability to walk...
"They lose stars"
They lose the ability to see clearly
(hope it's not the illegal and dodgy vodka, that will blind you!)
"They lose gas"
Well, nuff said methinks. Another pint for you John?

In all seriousness it sounds a little weird when you consider that science has apparently proven (I could be wrong) that The Universe is in fact expanding and speeding up and...getting further away from things constantly?

edit on 25/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

ETA I think dark matter might turn out to be darker than we imagined...
edit on 25/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

edit on 25/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Correction

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by XPLodER

In a way it's reminiscent of a slightly too-good night at The Pub.
"They lose material"
They lose things, keys, wallet, the ability to walk...
"They lose stars"
They lose the ability to see clearly
(hope it's not the illegal and dodgy vodka, that will blind you!)
"They lose gas"
Well, nuff said methinks. Another pint for you John?

In all seriousness it sounds a little weird when you consider that science has apparently proven (I could be wrong) that The Universe is in fact expanding and speeding up and...getting further away from things constantly?

edit on 25/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

ETA I think dark matter might turn out to be darker than we imagined...
edit on 25/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

edit on 25/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Correction

well a logical consiquence of dark matter problems is galaxy rotation curves,
and a miss count in the mass density calculations could "account" for the need for dark matter,

Using the data they’d extracted, the team built several models (varying the dark matter composition) to generate galaxy structures. In so doing, they found that the ratio of mass to light from just the stars in their models (minus gas and dark matter) for some elliptical low mass galaxies did indeed look like spiral galaxies. But they also found some that did not, which means that the IMF is not universal. They also found generally the same results no matter which dark matter composition they used, which means of course that the results obtained were independent of mass.

physorg

so by refining the techneique used to aproximate the mass and number of stars,
the amount of stars and their masses can under some simulations be simulated to form spiral galaxies.

a post from a subscriber to the story,

And thus the Dark Matter can be removed from the equation.

very interesting things are starting to happen in the field of measuring the universe and its contents

simply by having a new more reliable way to calculate group mass, we can do away with some dark matter,
and when you add the group orbital velicity functions of the smaller satalite galaxies the need for dark matter is reduced.

an interesting side note is the effect of the orbiting dwarf and irregular dwarfs in mass gravity to the total amount of mass density of the group as a struture that shares veloicty as a group.

after all they look to be orbiting a common axis of rotation.

xploder

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Americanist
reply to post by XPLodER

Right Angles:

A Jewish Swazi....... really now....?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dayve

Little more detailed in fact... You'll notice the "trinary" system trailing off each end.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by dayve

The swastika is not a racist symbol, it is religious and was just used by the nazis.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Americanist I've seen you post that twice now.

Can you give us a link or tell me what it is? I am curious

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Cecilofs

Lines of magnetic force (clockwise/ counterclockwise rotation) with voids as energy. Our Universe in action. Top to bottom...

Link
edit on 27-4-2012 by Americanist because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join