It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House set to revise CISPA language to add more privacy protection

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Ah this sounds like a great way to protect peoples privacy, untill somebody learns the lagnuage, which in todays world over the internet will not take long.. Funny thing is they will probably think it won't get learnt

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
The US House of Representatives has a "find your Representative" function on its main page. A US citizen can enter his/her zip code, find their Representative, and from there, link to that Rep's office contact info, including the telephone # for that office.

Congress is due to consider whether or not to pass HR 3523 (CISPA) tomorrow, Thursday, 26 April, & to vote yea or nay on Friday, 27 April. You might want to give your Rep's office a call, & inform them that, as a voter & constituent, you're urging your Rep to vote no on HR 3523, the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act of 2011, or CISPA. By all means, Google an online petition you can "click-sign" as well, but a last-minute groundswell in phone calls on this issue won't fail to get their attention.

As cynical as I am, I'm still convinced that enough response from intelligent, aware, concerned constituents (who, after all, have the voting clout to end the gravy train if enough of them are fed up), will override any other consideration. A phone call demands a little more commitment, & personal involvement than an online petition. I'm sure that for that reason, phone calls are taken seriously if there are enough of them. Enough voter outcry against past legislation helped to turn the tide, most notably, as it did with SOPA.

They'll keep trying, so we need to keep responding. Be as cynical as you like, but remember, we still have a lot of clout if enough of us demonstrate that we are a direct threat to the continuance of our elected representatives' lucrative careers, if their work doesn't reflect our interests.

ETA: Given today's volatile political climate, I hasten to clarify that the "direct threat" to which I refer is using one's vote to oust an undesirable elected official. I'm sure most of you understood that, but not so sure about certain governmental agencies anymore.
edit on 4/25/12 by BuzzCory because: Increased clarity, & a desire to stay off the radar

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Incoming "news"...

CISPA veto recommended by White House, bill's authors defend it

Not a fan of CISPA? Fear not. President Barack Obama isn’t either.

A Wednesday e-mail released by the Office of Management and Budget made very clear that should the bill reach the president’s desk in its current form, "his senior advisors would recommend that he veto the bill."

I sure hope this isn't a political trick... it would prove to be a highly manipulative strategy designed only to pander and create the illusion of "support for privacy."

Not surprisingly, the authors of the bill have fired back with their own retort. They say Tuesday’s revisions take into account "nearly every single one of the criticisms leveled by the Administration, particularly those regarding privacy and civil liberties of Americans."

The bill is set to come up for a vote before the House of Representatives on Friday.

Tuesday's revisions?

I have yet to see any revision.... anyone else?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

I sure hope this isn't a political trick... it would prove to be a highly manipulative strategy designed only to pander and create the illusion of "support for privacy."

Privacy is very important my friend. The government and corporations already have every tool at their disposal to data mine. Social networks are icing on the cake in this regard. The biggest(but somewhat slow) asset is project echelon in which several countries are involved with.

Then we have the Digital Millenium Copyright Act passed into law in 1998 by Bill Clinton.

Basically we have not had real privacy for a long time, if ever!

Not surprisingly, the authors of the bill have fired back with their own retort. They say Tuesday’s revisions take into account "nearly every single one of the criticisms leveled by the Administration, particularly those regarding privacy and civil liberties of Americans."

The bill is set to come up for a vote before the House of Representatives on Friday.

Tuesday's revisions?

I have yet to see any revision.... anyone else?

I am actually perplexed and exhausted by the sheer insistance of big business trying to have everything in its favor, while totally neglecting the right to consumer privacy. It seems companies have way more influence with their big bucks on government than the common sense approach.

Maybe we should demand an end to trade secrets, to see if companies value privacy?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
This is a disgrace. Those "politicians" that voted this through are all either stupid or bought and paid for corrupt puppets. I hope a new internet is set up soon that's beyond their control. And if they go for that one, we make another, and another, and another.

We can do it, we have the ability and the technology, it's time to wake up and move on. But seriously, those people pass the laws in the US? I'm surprised America hasn't had a revolution already sometimes. Then again, I'm surprised most countries haven't.
edit on 26-4-2012 by robhines because: added

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Here's a list of who voted yea or nay on this.

206 Republicans and 42 Democrats voted yes, 28 Republicans and 140 Democrats voted no.(15 nonvotes)

clerk.house.gov...

I guess the GOP like Big Government as much as the Democrats, maybe even more in this case.
edit on 26-4-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
Here's a list of who voted yea or nay on this.

206 Republicans and 42 Democrats voted yes, 28 Republicans and 140 Democrats voted no.(15 nonvotes)

clerk.house.gov...

I guess the GOP like Big Government as much as the Democrats, maybe even more in this case.
edit on 26-4-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

I hope the president follows through on this threat and vetos this POS legislation back to congress where it belongs. Then hopefully they won't get the 70% necessary to overide the president and the bill dies a painful death!

seriously, enough is enough. And yes the republicans are WAY WORSE than the democrats. I have been saying this a long time but nobody really listens. The typical cop-out of a conservative(who deep down LOVES corporations) is "both parties are the same".

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Looks like it passed at the House already. Here we go.

finance.yahoo.com...

The U.S. House of Representatives passed a cybersecurity bill on Thursday that would allow the government and companies to share information about hacking, but which has raised privacy concerns and a veto threat from the White House.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by cnoland

While listening to NPR this morning I was mildly surprised to hear that the "reason" the leader of the Executive Branch would potentially veto this bill is because..... "it's too weak; it doesn't go far enough."

How's that for kick in the face America?

Of course, this is the media reporting... so who knows what really is behind such a notion?

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

reply to post by cnoland

While listening to NPR this morning I was mildly surprised to hear that the "reason" the leader of the Executive Branch would potentially veto this bill is because..... "it's too weak; it doesn't go far enough."

How's that for kick in the face America?

Of course, this is the media reporting... so who knows what really is behind such a notion?

Who knows? The lies come so fast and switch from one side to the other, you can't keep up. Ultimately, it's a political side show and legislation for the convenience, not the support or the necessary legalization of, practices that are already in effect.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

seriously, enough is enough. And yes the republicans are WAY WORSE than the democrats. I have been saying this a long time but nobody really listens. The typical cop-out of a conservative(who deep down LOVES corporations) is "both parties are the same".

Here I must disagree strongly.

I am vigorously rejected by so-called "conservative" thinkers and I am a staunch proponent of the observation that the corporate construct has become a social evil as applied by our society.

.... and as far as I am concerned my alleged "cop-out" equated to "both parties are the same" but to a higher degree...

There is only ONE party. It's ALL theater... and has been for a century.

I suspect your assertion that Republicans are WAY worse than Democrats is an indicator that you seem to have "bought what they are selling".... like the idea that we have a voice by "choosing a side."

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

I suspect your assertion that Republicans are WAY worse than Democrats is an indicator that you seem to have "bought what they are selling".... like the idea that we have a voice by "choosing a side."

One bird.
Two wings.
All corrupt.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I heard that on NPR this morning too.

It was like the administration was trying to sound righteous by threatening a veto while at the same time working to get total control in demanding enforcement and oversight be the sole property of DHS rather than a cooperative agreement between private ISP's, other corps and law enforcement.

I swerved a little while by brain tried to figure out the gymnastics.

The same guy out of the same mouth saying "the privacy of the people isnt protected so we need to give the federal government complete control of this information."

I guess it all comes down to who you think can screw you more, the government or some private company.

Well, I've never had a private company threaten me with action, send armed paramilitary forces to my door, throw me in a cell or ship me off to some black site for torture. The government however........

So who should I be more concerned with securing my privacy against?

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

Here I must disagree strongly.

I am vigorously rejected by so-called "conservative" thinkers and I am a staunch proponent of the observation that the corporate construct has become a social evil as applied by our society.

I believe the theory behind the creation of corporations is good, but the power they possess via money and backroom legislation is too excessive. Anyone can be bought-out if the price is right which means the system itself is at fault, not the politicians.

.... and as far as I am concerned my alleged "cop-out" equated to "both parties are the same" but to a higher degree...

The end goal may be the same, but I am not willing to state this as fact yet. How far are people willing to dig to find out the root cause of societies problems? Are we going to dig into masonry, dig into unbalanced globalisation, dig into who has more influence with corporations, who gets the most campaign money from who, dig into who wants a huge military industrial complex, dig into who wants to perpetuate the ufo&alien cover-up more?

I think the hate towards the two bush families and the reagans was justified without a doubt! Republicans cause more problems than democrats....usually!

Might as well call it the illuminati party run by the annukaki! Is that close enough for you?

When the only choice you have is a)evil and b)extremely evil, I think the best choice is voting for the lesser of two evils or alternatively prepare for a revolution that the modern world has never seen before that will make the arab spring look like a summer picnic.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Corporations are tools like knives and like knoves they are as good as the operators.

There are many, many things, technologies in particular, that would not be explored, created and implemented if it were not for the corporate shield from personal liability.

Which leads to a lack of personal accountability when in the wrong hands.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by Maxmars

The same guy out of the same mouth saying "the privacy of the people isnt protected so we need to give the federal government complete control of this information."

I guess it all comes down to who you think can screw you more, the government or some private company.

Well, I've never had a private company threaten me with action, send armed paramilitary forces to my door, throw me in a cell or ship me off to some black site for torture. The government however........

So who should I be more concerned with securing my privacy against?

The government has been infiltrated by big business to such a huge extent, that it is virtually impossible to seperate the two. They are siamese twins!!! We let this happen because we gave too much trust into the american dream, where everyone can come to the big bad ole usa and make a fortune out of nothing. Then play wall street and encourage big business to be as greedy, wreckful, expansive as possible so that we grow more earnings.

Our fear of the government was too much in relation to our fear of big business. I hope this answers your question in my biased opinion. All opinions are biased right?
edit on 4/27/2012 by EarthCitizen07 because: fixed bold tag

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I am a bit conflicted on this Cispa is pure # that has so many holes in it that it can't be "intrepreted" a hell of a lot of ways.

The bill needs to die the death of a thousand deaths and never see the light of day the primary beneficiers of this bill is the Federal Govermnent and Corporations.

While hacking costs this nation trillions of dollars this bill is not going to solve it if Govenrment security and Corporate security is that crappy.

DO something about it on their own!.

For the conspiracy theorist out there Government created to problem so they can "offer" the solution.

Can't stand Obama but he doesn't veto it not really going to change my opinions of him.

It should be vetoed.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
So, to those who have placed so much faith in the Tea Party Caucus in the House, how come nearly every single one of them voted FOR this?

Does this mean the tea party are just a sheep dog to herd people back under the neocon tent like so many have been speculating?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlchemicalBinoculars
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Corporations are tools like knives and like knoves they are as good as the operators.

There are many, many things, technologies in particular, that would not be explored, created and implemented if it were not for the corporate shield from personal liability.

Which leads to a lack of personal accountability when in the wrong hands.

Lack of enforcement of anti-trust laws, repealment of the glass-steagle act(that used to seperate banking from investment) and leveraged buyouts are what brought DOOM to america. Even a progressive such as myself sees benefit in corporate structure but it needs to be managed effectively by someone. That someone is/was government!

<< 1   >>

join