It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK cancer scare puts Shanghai on alert

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   

UK cancer scare puts Shanghai on alert

www.shanghaidaily.com

Heinz and Nestle were found to have raised levels of acrylamide, a chemical identified as a possible carcinogen.

The UK agency said its findings didn't indicate an immediate risk to public health

However, it also warned that long-term consumption could increase the risk of cancer
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Seems UK Food has an increased risk of causing cancer and Shanghai are not happy about it. The UK can pass off this crap to its public but other countries will not accept it.

However, two kinds of Nestle's Nescafe Gold Blend freeze-dried instant coffee are available in some supermarkets and on Taobao, the online shopping site.

Heinz Banana Biscotti, a biscuit for babies and young children, is also available online in China.

Shanghai Daily failed to reach Heinz officials for comment yesterday.

Seems Heinz and Nestle may well be cancer causing food suppliers.

www.shanghaidaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   

The UK agency said its findings didn't indicate an immediate risk to public health and there was no need to change diets.

However, it also warned that long-term consumption could increase the risk of cancer

www.shanghaidaily.com...

isn't this the same as smoking???

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Hmm China...Pot Kettle much?
Get your own house in order before you start having a go at our food...if you don't want it,you don't have to buy it-stick to all your nice safe chinese crap instead...

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
Get your own house in order before you start having a go at our food...if you don't want it,you don't have to buy it-stick to all your nice safe chinese crap instead...

thats a mature response.

you don't care if there is carcinogens in your coffee?

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Sort of explains why this coffee tastes like crap though.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

Not really, no. As long as it is small doses. If you actually look into most food stuffs, there are small amounts of harmful chemicals in pretty much everything. Slightly burnt sausages contain more carcinogens than a cigarette, for example.

What with excessive fluoride in water and toothpaste and dodgy chemicals in pretty much everything else, why worry about one more?
edit on 24-4-2012 by Flavian because: grammar

ETA:

Good spot though. Star and flag.

edit on 24-4-2012 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Poses "no immediate risk" mmm now where have I heard that before?

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Not really, no. As long as it is small doses. If you actually look into most food stuffs, there are small amounts of harmful chemicals in pretty much everything. Slightly burnt sausages contain more carcinogens than a cigarette, for example.

Doesn't this come down to the standards of the manufacturer?

Are you happy for this to be the case if it is easily preventable? Or should people just not care about it at all and let Nestle and Heinz carry on making their profits and not improving their standards?

Is it okay if it's willful rather than a genuine by-product of the manufacturing process?

Oh, and I also agree that this could simply be a part of the "trade wars" going on since '08 (and probably longer too).
National brands are boosted if you can knock a competitor by exaggerating something about their products or business, so I fully accept that this could be all it is.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Obviously, i would be far happier if all of our food stuffs were as pure as could be. However, that sadly isn't the case. As such, i see little point in worrying about it as that will not achieve anything.

Not been a fan of Nestle ever since the baby milk scandal broke (well, actually before that but that is because they bought out Rowntrees!).

I actually purposefully avoid information these days about what is contained in the food i eat - i would simply rather not know! For example, i have rather a sweet tooth and one of my favourite "crappy snacks" essentially contains loads and loads of crushed insects. Tastes horrible when i think about it, tastes bloody lovely when i don't!

No, to answer your question, if it is willful then that is a different story as that would corporate negligence (or some other fancy sounding charge that would mean little to no prison for any execs found guilty).
edit on 24-4-2012 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

WTF?! are you saying, you happy they are putting cancer causing chemicals in our food?

If so you need your head examined

I shall be contacting heinz and advising them I shall be doing youtube videos about this and passing the links about.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

If there are cancer causing compounds in foods at unsafe levels they need to be removed. Regardless off what country they are in.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Ok, just fnished emailing heinz, told them if i find out they have been purposely poisoning my children i will be taking legal action in addition to writing to all mps in the uk.

Will let you know what they say when they get back to me

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Well it has taken the UK a while to start getting with the US cancer epidemic bandwagon, sadly we in the US have cancer poison in everything we eat including lots of pharma drugs and vaccinations.

Hell welcome to cancer haven western way, If you in the UK are getting GMOs you are going to get cancer too.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum

thats a mature response.

My reaction as well. That was a very immature response. Its about the cancer chemicals that Heinz is allowing/putting in our food, and not just coffee, BUT BABY TOOTHING BISCUITS.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Previously acrylamide was only thought to occur as a result of heating/cooking certain foods.(particularly frech fries and bread)

Higher levels of this posion have now been found in products belonging to Heinz and Nestle. I would love to know why they have these higher levels in their products? I would wonder would it by any chance be an addictive substance?

Cigarettes are a major source of Acrylamide, so it follows that there should be warnings on other products that contain this.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Previously acrylamide was only thought to occur as a result of heating/cooking certain foods.(particularly frech fries and bread)

Higher levels of this posion have now been found in products belonging to Heinz and Nestle. I would love to know why they have these higher levels in their products? I would wonder would it by any chance be an addictive substance?

Cigarettes are a major source of Acrylamide, so it follows that there should be warnings on other products that contain this.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Nestle just LOVE addictive chemicals in their products.

The problem (as i see it) though is i just do not see a way to get off chemical foods. By this, i mean there are far too many of us around to get by with natural foodstuffs solely. As such, we will have an ever greater dependency on chemicals.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Well I think we all know, they had to have been put there deliberately. Which means our corporations are trying to give our children cancer. And yet people don't pull the crooks that endorse all of this out of office.

It is a public duty to not allow any corruption or have a zero tolerance to anythign that is going on, to educate yourself past your bubble gum news media, and to demand accountability from your servants you have paid enormous salaries and pensions to, including the corporate heads of various companies who have been enormously enriched by your patronage, and have lobbied and changed rules/laws for average people, to ensure little or no competition exists.

They all need prison sentences. People need to get very riled up and start to act.

Even, letters and some tough line phone calls, in frequently, from large numbers would help. They wouldn't know what to do, if 2/3'rds of the people did this. Of course they can easily ignore 1% or less.
edit on 24-4-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Whilst i agree with you, that still wouldn't solve the problems of population outgrowing food supply (hence proliferation of chemicals).

Sod faster internet capabilities or smaller, shinier smart phones - we need our scientists to be working towards credible solutions to our problems. If we get new shiny shiny as a spin off then great but it isn't what they should concentrate on. Problem is though, how do we go about ensuring that they look for solutions to problems?

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

thats a mature response.

Its not that I do not care-just that China are hardly in a position to be critical of our food exports when you consider their track record.
Remember the melamine baby food and other food safety scandals?

<<   2 >>

join