It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is the Crowley of Today?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Who is the crowley, the lavey, the esoteric of today? I was wondering on this front. I know the website hermatic order of the golden dawn exist, www.hermeticgoldendawn.org...

but i have heard of no "new" people updating or further progressing what "Crowley" (rather than lavey) anton lavey) did. I wonder if someone else is pushing throughh and I figured during the dawn of technology, metaphysical majick (magic?) is being taugh. Obviously we hear no media about these things. Just the progressiveness of new ideas and the such.

In all honesty I see gnosticsm replacing what I just asked, nothing more, no front runners
edit on 22-4-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

It is fitting that my six-hundred-and-sixty-sixth post should be this: Peter Carroll. The man is one of my biggest heroes. He puts Crowley to shame.
edit on 22-4-2012 by Q:1984A:1776 because: grammar

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Most of Crowley's followers are in the OTO or the Ordo Templi Orientis. It has a website that tells you its lodges and international lodges. I think Crowley also made the A.A. (Argentum Astrum or Silver Star) but I don't know the differences or if there are any around.

I think the most famous magician of our time is probably Lon Milo Duquette. He is a great author that makes very readable books on esoteric subjects. He also has a sense of humor as his book The Chicken Qabbalah of Rabbi Lamed Ben Clifford is a very fun way of learning about the qaballah, or is it kabbala, or cabala? Rabbi Ben Clifford would say, "Spell it however the hell you want!"

Duquette is also very high up in the OTO and is an initiator.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by schlomo

The Chicken Qabalah is such a great read.

"Hell no! You're a Chicken Qabalist!"
XD

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

I'd say if you're looking for someone who's breaking new ground it's Peter Carroll. If you're simply looking for the biggest names it's probably the Ciceros. Even though he's been dead for 5 years I'd also say that Robert Anton Wilson could fill the role of "modern Crowley."

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Q:1984A:1776

It is fitting that my six-hundred-and-sixty-sixth post should be this: Peter Carroll. The man is one of my biggest heroes. He puts Crowley to shame.
edit on 22-4-2012 by Q:1984A:1776 because: grammar

I agree! Peter Carroll has revolutionized ritual magic. But let's not forget Phil Hine.

However, looking at "magical systems" in a broader sense and with an open mind, I would like to add Robert A. Monroe to the list of nominees because of his replicable results using binaural beats and somewhat reliable "roadmap" of the nonphysical realms. Plus, his "mystery school" (of sorts), TMI, pumps out highly-qualified practitioners (myself included LOL) on a regular basis. Of course, Monroe has passed on but I can assure you that he is still with us.

I'm sure, though, that Michael W. Ford would nominate himself as Crowley's successor but everyone knows he's a douche and a charlatan as well as a cowan.
edit on 4/22/2012 by SimultaneousFinal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by schlomo
Most of Crowley's followers are in the OTO or the Ordo Templi Orientis. It has a website that tells you its lodges and international lodges. I think Crowley also made the A.A. (Argentum Astrum or Silver Star) but I don't know the differences or if there are any around.

I think the most famous magician of our time is probably Lon Milo Duquette. He is a great author that makes very readable books on esoteric subjects. He also has a sense of humor as his book The Chicken Qabbalah of Rabbi Lamed Ben Clifford is a very fun way of learning about the qaballah, or is it kabbala, or cabala? Rabbi Ben Clifford would say, "Spell it however the hell you want!"

Duquette is also very high up in the OTO and is an initiator.

If I recall correctly, OTO teaches the magick that Masonry used to teach.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
ME!

Screw AIWASS....

Appollonysus is my medium through which the spirit of the cosmsos has communicated revelations of the most high, Deldecah Krhistumbous.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
In concert with the other nuts in this thread, Peter Carroll is the closest thing to a modern Crowley that we've got. Nobody else comes remotely close imho, and in many ways I think Carroll did it better by not injecting insane amounts of unnecessary dogma into the discussion, as Crowley tragically did.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I'd have to say the skank called Madonna.
Mandatory second line,like what else can I add to that ?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I would vote Alan Moore, who actively practices magick. The guy that wrote V for Vendetta.
He was influenced by Crowley and Wilson.

With all the Guy Fawkes masks running around, he would be my pick.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
If, by "Crowley," you mean an innovative leader or pioneer unaccompanied by notoriety, then in sacred geometry this man has no peers:
smphillips.8m.com...

Only, you need to be an eclectic genius to understand completely what he has discovered......

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Isreal Regardie... But he be dead...

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by hudsonhawk69

I thought of mentioning Regardie but he was more or less a contemporary of Crowley. That's not to say that he isn't the largest influence on modern magickal practices. I just wouldn't say he is a modern practitioner.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
We live in an age of networks, not individuals. Indivdual hero-worship is a 20th century concept. Now its ideas that count, not people. And that's a good thing.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254

I thought of mentioning Regardie but he was more or less a contemporary of Crowley. That's not to say that he isn't the largest influence on modern magickal practices. I just wouldn't say he is a modern practitioner.

I've only recenty discovered Isreal Regardie. It is my understanding that he did a lot more research after leaving the Golden Dawn. He built a lot and expanded upon Crowleys ideas and I feel that he really took the art to places that Crowley never did.

The more I learn about Crowley, The disappointed I am by his work. Perhaps that's because I'm more neo-pagan in my beliefs...

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Regardie's pretty much the only reason the Golden Dawn tradition has continued to this day. With the dissolution of the original order Regardie saved as many documents as possible and published them in a single book that pretty much formed the basis for magickal practice throughout the 20th century. I believe he also did some work preserving Thelemic texts. While he was never a Thelemite himself he did function as Crowley's personal secretary for a time.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
How do you find a replacement for Crowley when few, if any, have been drawn into Scientology as Hubbard did Aleister?

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AlchemicalBinoculars

I think you're mistaken or at least that's how I interpreted your post.

Crowley influenced L.Ron Hubbard in the occult and that's where he came up with his theory of Dianetics. I've also heard that scientology kind of helps occultists because they've learned (or paid to learn) that they are just energy in bodies in this material realm, so they're less constricted when say traveling out of body.

top topics

join