It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the government up to???? This smells like a trap

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ripcontrol
They are not attempting to email the vicitms..

Think about it for a moment, there is no list of email addresses of people who have been infected.
There never could be.

If you catch a cold, does a doctor you dont know send you a letter in the post about it?

Also as some put - no notification from dell...

World's Stealthiest Rootkit Pushes DNS Hijacking Trojan
dell.com

norton and other services...

Norton guru's discuss it, at norton.com

also symantec.com

edit on 21-4-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
No thanks. I never allow any other computer to "help" my computer...

If they punch thru, they do it without my permission.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Oh, for crying out loud. Just go to Comodo Secure DNS and change your damn DNS addresses.

Comodo Secure DNS

If you people would bother to go GATHER some information instead of mongering fear, you'd have this done by now and quit worrying about it....

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Well, that took 3 seconds and I am clean. It checked how my DNS accessed other DNS. Quick and efficient.
the link on the gov website has several different URL's to check if you are afraid of 'big brother'. Isn't it sad that people are so paranoid that they won't trust anything or anyone or any government??

BTW Thanks OP. I read about this early today and was thinking.......what if I am infected?
edit on 22-4-2012 by redbarron626 because: to show some appreciation!

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by redbarron626
Well, that took 3 seconds and I am clean.It checked how my DNS accessed other DNS. Quick and efficient.
the link on the gov website has several different URL's to check if you are afraid of 'big brother'. Isn't it sad that people are so paranoid that they won't trust anything or anyone or any government??

and what if during that "3 seconds" "It" has downloaded some sort of file, while "it" was checking your computer? Did you check for that as well?

Nope...not gonna trust "big brother" or trust the government...
edit on 22-4-2012 by edaced4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I never knew about this and I probably wouldn't have heard of this if not for this thread. Apparantly I'm green, though they say it's not 100% error proof.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by edaced4

If the government wants to look in your computer, they will and there is little or nothing you can do about it. Unless you are a serious hacker(and even THEY get busted) the likelihood of at least one government entity, at one time or another, snooping on you nears 100%. How would you know if they were and what would you do if you found out?

This sounds like a good thread to start, thanks.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

reply to post by edaced4

If the government wants to look in your computer, they will and there is little or nothing you can do about it. Unless you are a serious hacker(and even THEY get busted) the likelihood of at least one government entity, at one time or another, snooping on you nears 100%. How would you know if they were and what would you do if you found out?

That's all good and dandy that they will and can, but I'm not gonna go to a site that is supposedly sponsored by the FBI and INVITE them in!! That's like inviting a vampire into your home
You just don't do that!!

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

ANONYMOUS and their Sycophants = Big Brother = 1 in the same entity.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
I went googling, and found a Canadian site that checks for this. Maybe it is legit

www.newswire.ca...

I just checked mine, and I'm ok.

I trust the Cdn site, I don't trust the US government site - it's just too hard to trust the US government

I just saw above that BobAtHome found the site too.

Strange that our provider didn't say anything. Or Dell.
Maybe they'll just fix people's computers as they phone in with them broken?
edit on 21-4-2012 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

Really? You trust the Canadian government? What does that feel like?

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I call Bs. It would be very easy to take this on face value if it wasnt for a simple formula that plays a major part in this particular issue;

PROBLEM! REACTION! SOLUTION!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by edaced4

reply to post by edaced4

That's all good and dandy that they will and can, but I'm not gonna go to a site that is supposedly sponsored by the FBI and INVITE them in!! That's like inviting a vampire into your home
You just don't do that!!

Why don't you do it yourseft manualy using cmd

Manually Checking if your DNS server have been Changed

The following pages would help check to manually see if you have DNS Changer DNS servers configured on your computer. Use of the “check up” pages are more effective, but some would want to check manually.
•Checking for DNS Changer on Windows XP
•Checking for DNS Changer on Windows Vista (pending)
•Checking Windows 7 for Infections
•Checking OSX for Infections
www.dcwg.org...

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by patmac573

anonymous is not big brother ,it is me ,you and the spotty little hacker,all as one but seperate,

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Crypto Tech- 2nd class, by chance

Monterey, california, by chance

Id go with a 25% chance still active duty... you go civilian for the pay and stay in the area... its pretty good for CT and other intell jobs-

I do do my research, the english language is still a beautiful language but logic of it sucks...me and search engines have trouble with each other over keywords and bolian operators

Thank you however for adding a seperate link for DNS cleaning (if I am using the wrong language I am not insulted by a more accurate description..

Being that we both probably went through Great lakes, I will respect you on this and explain my thoughts

1) Notification of victims not mentioned, in fact

In a highly unusual response, the FBI set up a safety net months ago using government computers to prevent Internet disruptions for those infected users. But that system is to be shut down.

So we will out of the goodness of our heart use government computers to let web surfers keep surfing...

Data capture while technically legal, (tracking what the criminals did,) morally they should have put up a singular website notifying the users

and

FBI officials said they organized an unusual system to avoid any appearance of government intrusion into the Internet or private computers. And while this is the first time the FBI used it, it won't be the last.

Where the users notified...No, but we will keep doing it because now we have precedent

makes me wonder how many active 'cases' they have, and this has forced the to run your servers off of their computers...

"This is the future of what we will be doing," said Eric Strom, a unit chief in the FBI's Cyber Division. "Until there is a change in legal system, both inside and outside the United States, to get up to speed with the cyber problem, we will have to go down these paths, trail-blazing if you will, on these types of investigations."

2) notification was easy

"Hey agent would you like to be a go getter and have something extra in a brag sheet"

design a simple one page notice in you off time we can post here... I'll make sure you get a positive little extra note

they click on anything and poof here we go.....notice pops up...

this is the easiest way

yet they defined it as well the time is up sorry if you didnt read the news or anything tough luck....

The whole thing smells like a successful data capture operation....

either way, just remember

Never Again Volunteer Yourself....

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Catatonic

Originally posted by snowspirit
I went googling, and found a Canadian site that checks for this. Maybe it is legit

www.newswire.ca...

I just checked mine, and I'm ok.

I trust the Cdn site, I don't trust the US government site - it's just too hard to trust the US government

I just saw above that BobAtHome found the site too.

Strange that our provider didn't say anything. Or Dell.
Maybe they'll just fix people's computers as they phone in with them broken?
edit on 21-4-2012 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

Really? You trust the Canadian government? What does that feel like?

I don't totally trust them, no, but the Cdn site I found looked more like an internet safety site. There are still areas that our government doesn't have much to do with, and we have so many regulations that help the people instead of the government.
We're set up different than the US. Our opposition government is always looking for ways to stick it to Harper, so we get better legal help up here when something goes awry with our dicktator in charge.

If we had to go through CSIS , to have our internet workings fixed, I would have NEVER clicked on the link. That would be like trusting the FBI, or the CIA :shk:

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I see it as limiting communications.

If 150,000 people all lost their internet connections, and if solar flares shut down satellites, preventing phone communications. To create the tri-fecta imagine Gas is at $5/gal and with diminished personal funds, it'll be extremely hard to travel. The government could participate in any number of insidious events across the country, and we as a people wouldn't see it coming. Our "awareness" is only as expansive as our ability to communicate and travel.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Sometimes I worry about people and technology and how they don't understand the basic building blocks of the internet, the problem here is that the DNS (the things that turn www.xxx.com into an ip address 127.0.0.1 etc) for some people has been rerouted to naughty servers so they can send you to naughty sites while trying to pretend to be the proper ones

if you cant secure your computer against stuff like this you deserve no internet access really since its like putting a sign over an open door saying "please don't rob me since i'm away for the next 6 months" and expecting your house to be as you left it

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Yeah, I wanted to post something about this myself, but you guys are obviously on it. I had an uneasy feeling about this when I had a client call me about seeing an article in the Roanoke Times, a local paper, mentioning the FBI, and this is where to go to check to see if you are infected. Seems suspicious to me.

Like I really trust my government with my computer. Are these "hackers" working for our own government? Just another way to try and silence those who are vocal? So, they would infect you, then deny access to the internet? But, then again, DNS changers can already deny access to the internet, or make it nearly impossible to get where you want to go, if you don't know how to fix it.

So, yeah, what is the government up to?

We're told to fear terrorists, evil leaders, fear other people because they might be terrorists, now we must fear hackers, so go to www.giveoveryourinformation.org. Just doesn't feel right.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

If you can't connect to the internet, then obviously once you're connected, you won't need to scan for infections, right?

Also, how in the world are you supposed to fix your computer if you can't get online to access the debugging programs?

Do they give a list of computer shops in the user's area that they recommend seeking consultation from?

Other than that, it's obviously a control mechanism. It's a pregame for CISPA...speaking of which, have you signed the petition as Avaaz.org? Everyone should do it.

Protect our internet rights!
edit on CSundaypm010154f54America/Chicago22 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
In today's would of hacks / scams and such if it not from a trusted site then do not go , i have friends that are "IT" and they say it is best to use your op sys security like this one for XP or win users, i posted this in another thread www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join