It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lyrid meteor shower tonight April 21st

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Skies nice and clear here in Ireland hopefully we will get a chance of a nice show.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Any idea what places around the world this can be seen?

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Crap wrong forum
Mods please move to Space Exploration.
Sorry
My bad.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
www.space.com...

Here's a link that's got some information on the whole ordeal. Should help direct your attention in the correct direction tonight.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheProphetMark
Any idea what places around the world this can be seen?

For observers in North America, about 20 meteors per hour should be visible in a clear, dark sky. The meteors can appear anywhere in the sky, but they will seem to come from a point called the radiant in the constellation Lyra the Harp, which gives the shower its name. Lyra's bright white star Vega will be almost at the radiant, and the meteor count should be highest when Vega is well above the eastern horizon between late evening and dawn.

Source
This is interesting because those meteors originate from comet
edit on 21-4-2012 by zilebeliveunknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
It should be great fun and lots of beautiful! It does not show up where I am until late, almost morning, enjoy it for me will you?

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Thanks guys. Although, I don't think I will be able to catch it due to somewhat dark cloudy skies in my area. It looks as if it's going to be raining tonight. What a shame.

I hope those who watch it enjoys it

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
It should be great fun and lots of beautiful! It does not show up where I am until late, almost morning, enjoy it for me will you?

Most certainly will

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheProphetMark
Thanks guys. Although, I don't think I will be able to catch it due to somewhat dark cloudy skies in my area. It looks as if it's going to be raining tonight. What a shame.

I hope those who watch it enjoys it

Unlucky, unusually it isn't raining/cloudy here so hopefully we will get to enjoy it.
Cheers

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Here is a sky chart showing just where to look. Our skies cleared up today so I am hoping to catch a few tonight.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
It is half past midnight here in Europe and i have just seen a bright, blue light flash in the sky. For a sec i waited for the thunder(sound) but it never came so i think i've seen a meteor flash for the first time in my life. Awesome !!

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Guess I'll be up late tonight star-gazing. Fortunately for me, I live in an area with zero light pollution, so every star is visible as long as the moon isn't full. It should be crystal clear tonight and not cold.

I like to take the truck out into the field and lay in the back looking up. Since there are no trees or hills out here, I have a 360 degree view of the sky. Star party tonight!

Thanks for the head's up!

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Aaaaaaaaaw crap!
In a quiet peaceful light pollution free place
and it has started
Raining.

I am so disappointed, I absolutely love meteor showers, still its only half past midnight so hopefully it will clear up a bit.
Anybody with clear sky, enjoy!

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exitt
It is half past midnight here in Europe and i have just seen a bright, blue light flash in the sky. For a sec i waited for the thunder(sound) but it never came so i think i've seen a meteor flash for the first time in my life. Awesome !!

Cool, I remember camping as a child and will never forget my first skyful of meteors. Loved seeing them ever since.

Still magical to me (in a scientific way of course)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Thank you for reminding me of the showers! We are in the DFW area, and unfortunately, due to the brightness of the city lights we only saw one in about a 15 minute period. Still though, it was neat to see even the one that we did!!!

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Inconceivable
Thank you for reminding me of the showers! We are in the DFW area, and unfortunately, due to the brightness of the city lights we only saw one in about a 15 minute period. Still though, it was neat to see even the one that we did!!!

My sister lives in Burleson, wish I was there so I could see the shower. It's solid cloud cover here.
Thanks for the heads up OP. I hadn't heard about this one tonight. I love meteor showers, but for some odd reason, I can never remember when they are.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Hi OP

Wanted to thank you for the ''shower'' reminder. I truly appreciate it and was so looking forward to observing. Yet again, my spirits were dampened ...and the earth as well lol....

For the past several years, seems the mist/rain and clouds have taken over and ruined a good show..here in my neck of the woods in TN. Crossing fingers that it will clear during the Leonids!!...or is there another good shower in between? Am thinking that is one of the best...

Anyway.... Always interested in the showers ...and your thread was a reminder .
Thanks for that..... just too bad you couldn't control the weather for me !

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Too bad it was so cloudy here, I couldn't see a thing

I woke up at 5am to spot some meteors, but I couldn't see anything because of the clouds.
So I went back to sleep after 30 minutes xD

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Me and my lady friend went out about 2:30 am and saw about 20 combined in about 45 minutes.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
We had a weather system moving in, so it's been mostly cloud and rain here. No Lyrids for me this year.

Originally posted by SeekerLou
Crossing fingers that it will clear during the Leonids!!...or is there another good shower in between? Am thinking that is one of the best...

The Leonids were in storm mode a few years back, but they have now returned to "normal" rates, which are usually in the same ball park as the Lyrids. We actually have quite accurate predictions for many meteor showers now, and although there may be some minor Leonid outbursts in the next decade or two, most researchers agree that the next big Leonid outbursts/storms will be at the turn of the century.

Anyway, there are still some more active showers between now and then, and this year has been one I have been looking forward to for a while, since there is good potential for some showers this year.

The Eta Aquariids (max: May 7/8) can be quite variable in activity (around ZHR 40-60 usually), but this year the near full moon will make observing the peak difficult.

A better bet is the Perseids which are expected to peak @ 13:19 UT 13 August. The moon is only a problem later on in the night, and because the Perseid rates are usually quite good the nights either side of the peak night, you have multiple chances to catch some.

The Orionids in October can be quite good, but in December we have the Geminids (peak @ 23h30m UT December 13 ), which is probably one of the most reliable showers of the year for good rates (ZHR 60-200), and this year will be free from any moonlight interference.

Whilst any shower is capable of a surprise (or a disappointment), the Perseids and the Geminids are the probably going to be the best showers to watch this year IMO.

Sources:
Meteor Observing Calander (Meteor Showers Online)
Meteor Observing Calander (The International Meteor Organization)
Live ZHR graphs (The International Meteor Organization)
Major Meteor Showers (The American Meteor Society)
Meteor shower activity predictions (Mikhail Maslov)
Meteor shower activity predictions (The Institut de Mecanique Celeste et de Calcul des Ephemerides)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join