It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lyrid meteor shower tonight April 21st

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by FireballStorm

Wow FireballStorm!...
Thank you so much for this information.... I had forgotten about the perseids lol...and have learned a few things

Anyway have bookmarked this for the rest of the year.!. I most certainly appreciate the finger save
and this being bookmarked will keep me on my toes - to not miss a thing......weather permitting of course!

Thanks so much.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerLou

Ths skies here in Tucson were crazy dark, but meteors were few and far between. We did catch a couple of nice ones, but none where my cameras were pointing (typical for me
).

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
every meteor shower we've had its been cloudy for me

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
The kids and I were able to go out for a bit and saw a few but it was to cold to stay out for long. Was hoping to actually see a fireball but no such luck for us.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by stargate73
Was hoping to actually see a fireball but no such luck for us.

Like I've said in other threads recently, the Lyrids is not really known as a "big" fireball shower.

It does occasionally produce the odd fireball, but usually they are not that big.

Thomas Ashcraft managed to catch one on camera, which you can see/download here.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by gavron

lol sounds like my luck

Wow nice ! Brings back memories on these cloudy nights.... Beautiful photo

Yeah, lol Hard to catch as I well know. One really needs to have a video camera recording the sky.
... I 'll never master being "fast on the draw" with my Sony camera....even if I did catch one, it probably wouldn't show on the photo..... I def need to UPdate.....but soon , I hope!
You should make a thread of your beautiful photos..as I'm sure you have many more to share??

Happy for you all -that got to see! Am sure you guys had fun observing, partying lol whatever

On my toes now with the bookmark
, & crossing fingers for clear weather on next peak!
Happy hunting , all!
edit on 23-4-2012 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Here's a compilation of some of this years Lyrid meteors that someone recorded and uploaded to youtube, for those of you who didn't get to see any this year.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by FireballStorm

Thank you Fireball. How very thoughtful of you to post the vid for us. THank you so much. Have to say I think
You and Gevron both are really sweet to consider those of us who missed out.

Maybe next time, the weather will be clear for the rest of us ! Still crossing fingers.
especially for the Perseids in Aug. since the full moon will be interfering in Aug with the Eta Aquarids . Especially nice to know this info.

Again, appreciate ya so much!

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerLou

My pleasure Lou.

Not sure if you noticed spaceweather.com already has a piece up on the eta Aquarids including some footage.

Good luck and clear skies.
edit on 1-5-2012 by FireballStorm because: typo

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Here is a very useful link directing to the best viewing locations/times! Looking forward to it!

spacedex.com

(But why do they show all the meteors IMPACTING?!)
seriously though...

edit on 21-4-2013 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Aqualung2012

That's the media for you... Apparently there was also quite a bit of hype about this year's Lyrids. Whilst it is considered a "major shower" in the calender, it tends to be quite weak compared to the stronger annual showers like the Perseids (this year's Perseids is predicted to be an above average year too), Geminids, and Quadrantids.

Of course, any meteor shower can produce an unexpected surprise/outburst, so it's always worth a look - just don't expect too much from a shower like the Lyrids or there is a good chance you will come away disappointed.

No surprises for me this year - clouds have rolled in just at the right time to spoil the view!

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
every meteor shower we've had its been cloudy for me

The times with the best northern lights, it has been cloudy here. Same with the meteor showers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join