It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Celebrity worship and why the west is so stupid?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
reply to post by fxtrademark

There are a few actors that I truly admire, Harrison Ford, Tommy Lee Jones, Mel Gibson, to name a few but as for shows like American Idol etc.. I could give a F**K

Mel Gibson lol....ok...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Text "Panem et Circensus", literally "bread and circuses", was the formula for the well-being of the population, and thus a political strategy. This formula offered a variety of pleasures such as: the distribution of food, public baths, gladiators, exotic animals, chariot races, sports competition, and theater representation. It was an efficient instrument in the hands of the Emperors to keep the population peaceful, and at the same time giving them the opportunity to voice themselves in these places of performance.

www.capitolium.org/eng/imperatori/circenses.htm

So in Ancient Rome it was gladiators and chariot races, today we have reality celebutards. I think there is an agenda of dumming down. If you watch tv today ( i don't have one), it's full of over dramatic music that will encorage you to go along with the view that music suggests, jerky repetitive camera Techniques and constant recaps and ad. breaks that train people to have the attention span of a goldfish. This together with the fact that
The frequency of tv sends the brain into a receptive state, means people are unable to think for themselves or be aware of their surroundings in my opinion.
edit on 21-4-2012 by DrHammondStoat because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-4-2012 by DrHammondStoat because: Typing on phone, sorry!

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I think it's just a way to create a cushioned fantasy world, people can turn on the T.V and instead of seeing the bad things they can fill their mind with simple things like Kim Kardashian's last dress. Just a way to distract and keep people in a bubble.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by libertytoall
I don't get it. Australians think they have it all figured out, yet they're so far detached from the rest of the world on an island nobody cares about, they mistake ideas for facts.. It's a mental illness actually that develops from lack of outside contact from others. Often times the only contact involves kangaroos in the garden. Sometimes it's a relative like say your brother aboriginal bill, or sister spearme nancy. But most of the time it's building thatch huts in a desert of a nuclear wasteland picking at bugs to eat.

See what I did there? Just as ridiculous as everything you've said.

edit on 21-4-2012 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

Congrats for summing up australia in bold.
Not sure why you put the rest in there.
But australians are incredibly ignorant people, i never said otherwise.
I don't think they're ignorant because of a mental illness.....australians are just stupid in general.

I'd say the celebrity worship fiasco is more prominent and widespread in australia than in the us.
I just wanted to really get other people's perspectives on why though, never meant to offend you or anyone in the us

edit on 21-4-2012 by fxtrademark because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by fxtrademark
Im not going to reveal where im from, but i currently live in australia.
When i refer to the "west" i refer to the english speaking countries, not continental europe, since they are clearly a few generations ahead.
The average person in the west watches roughly 6-7 hours of TV as opposed to less than 1 hour in europe, and germany's biggest TV network is sought of public access.

Living in Germany, i can tell you that TV is still popular and it's about as dumb as USA TV or British TV, in fact we have the same # like Pop Idol, the same celebrity news shows. It's not different. A lot of people waste hours in front of the TV. In fact, i always get weird looks, when i say that the only time i watch german TV stations is during Football/Soccer World Cup and European Championship and nothing else. They rarely can't believe how i can exist without watching TV every day.

As for Celebrity Worship: I live in Gruenwald, i don't think anyone outside Germany has heard of it. It's a small town south of Munich, the Bavaria Film studios are here, several music studios are here and a big load of so called celebrities, from sports people (TSV 1860, FC Bayern, Tennis players (and ex players like Boris Becker) and so on) and music and movie stars live here.
And the worship and fan crazyness is not much different to anywhere else. In fact, because i live here, a lot of people ask me on IM or in Chats if i know where exactly this or that person lives, so they can visit their hero.
I distinctly remember the time around the FIFA World Cup 2006, when i was constantly annoyed in ICQ by people asking if i know where guys like Oliver Kahn, Philipp Lahm, Bastian Schweinsteiger live exactly (even though Schweinsteiger doesn't even live here)

As for Celebrity Worship: Those people create something that entertains us and we fans are thankful for it, we like those people because of it. I worshipped Ronnie James Dio, met him twice (nicest guy in the world he was so much fun to talk to) and was really shocked by his death. I don't think anything's wrong with it

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Hey despite, apparently, being anti-semetic Mel Gibson is pretty boss. Apocalypto was awesome and I was really looking forward to his newest picture, but I guess that's not going to happen now
It really is tragic he can't get his personal life in order.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Good points you have made, try looking at it this way. Each ruling power in each country looks for a way to keep their nation entertained and trapped in a dream. Bit like most parents with their children, some would stick a dummy in brandy others would sing them a song, others would stream TV . All of this stops you asking questions. One you are trained to be superficial, its very heavy to even try to look deeper and burst the dream bubble.Each nation has their own particular escapism method, so although you are pointing at a particular type. Its like Pinocchio, we wouldn't want him to know who he is, we want him to serve our needs. So to ensure that, we give him the run around, and show him what a great world we have created. When he ages he may question the whole thing but by then it will be easier to create another idiot just like himself and then name himself the wise old man. So why does it happen? there are two possibilities perpetuate lies or search for the truth. The search may not be something you will always be able to share, as for lies they are easier to spread than peanut butter.The choice is there, its just a question of whether you choose in time or not.Thanks for questioning the truth of the matter.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

No you are right there is nothing wrong with it, I love the pink panther. Do you know where he lives?

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

What does the magician do?

what does the devil do?

What do we do?

transmission over, please return to your next illusion.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Yikes, if you think this doesn't happen in Asian countries, or Muslim ones or any place other than "European" & "Western" nations then you have NOT seen japanese television, or Korean Television.

It's the same kind of indoctrination they just use a different format. In Korea for example it's gamers. In Japan is anime and really bad pop music ( sorry fans), but the end result is the same.

Keeping you busy worrying about insignificant millionaires instead of yourself, the people around you and the well being of your nation and world in general.

Propaganda exists in almost everything in media. The only way to get around it, is to stop paying attention.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85

Originally posted by fxtrademark
Im not going to reveal where im from, but i currently live in australia.
When i refer to the "west" i refer to the english speaking countries, not continental europe, since they are clearly a few generations ahead.
The average person in the west watches roughly 6-7 hours of TV as opposed to less than 1 hour in europe, and germany's biggest TV network is sought of public access.

Living in Germany, i can tell you that TV is still popular and it's about as dumb as USA TV or British TV, in fact we have the same # like Pop Idol, the same celebrity news shows. It's not different. A lot of people waste hours in front of the TV. In fact, i always get weird looks, when i say that the only time i watch german TV stations is during Football/Soccer World Cup and European Championship and nothing else. They rarely can't believe how i can exist without watching TV every day.

As for Celebrity Worship: I live in Gruenwald, i don't think anyone outside Germany has heard of it. It's a small town south of Munich, the Bavaria Film studios are here, several music studios are here and a big load of so called celebrities, from sports people (TSV 1860, FC Bayern, Tennis players (and ex players like Boris Becker) and so on) and music and movie stars live here.
And the worship and fan crazyness is not much different to anywhere else. In fact, because i live here, a lot of people ask me on IM or in Chats if i know where exactly this or that person lives, so they can visit their hero.
I distinctly remember the time around the FIFA World Cup 2006, when i was constantly annoyed in ICQ by people asking if i know where guys like Oliver Kahn, Philipp Lahm, Bastian Schweinsteiger live exactly (even though Schweinsteiger doesn't even live here)

As for Celebrity Worship: Those people create something that entertains us and we fans are thankful for it, we like those people because of it. I worshipped Ronnie James Dio, met him twice (nicest guy in the world he was so much fun to talk to) and was really shocked by his death. I don't think anything's wrong with it

Really? damn
I thought In Germany, the biggest TV stations are non-profit "Anstalten öffentlichen Rechts" which are independent in the sense that politicians cannot directly influence their decisions, and the top managers are appointed by councils that represent the major groups in society: political parties, unions, churches, business etc.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Yikes, if you think this doesn't happen in Asian countries, or Muslim ones or any place other than "European" & "Western" nations then you have NOT seen japanese television, or Korean Television.

It's the same kind of indoctrination they just use a different format. In Korea for example it's gamers. In Japan is anime and really bad pop music ( sorry fans), but the end result is the same.

Keeping you busy worrying about insignificant millionaires instead of yourself, the people around you and the well being of your nation and world in general.

Propaganda exists in almost everything in media. The only way to get around it, is to stop paying attention.

~Tenth

I would think they would be to poor to have a TV.
Sorry im not racist, but thats what ive always thought.

But your right, it does seem to be 10x worse in asia and the arabia.
I guess people unfairly criticize the us, its probably the least there.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
The way I see it, America is one giant high school, celebs are the popular kids and everyone wants to be like them, we're pretty immature, we pick on people who are different, we experiment with drugs (Yo, you got that GMO!?!) and we just can't seem to graduate...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Some of it is the media. They kind of build and certainly promote the celbs. But, if people didn't watch or buy their stuff the media wouldn't do that. So, even though I'm making it - I realize its a circular argument.

I think some of it is escapism. People look to celbs as an escape from their own dreary existences.

I think sometimes it is a something people hope they can achieve. Lets take two "celebrities" whose names begin with "S".

Stephen Hawking

Snooki

One is a genius - the other is well.. Snooki. One is best known for his work in physics, the other is best known for well.. all things that being Snooki involve.

Not many people could actually do what Stephen Hawking has done, even if they work really, really hard.

Most young ladies could achieve the level of drunkenness and antics of Snooki.

So which one is the biggest celebrity?
edit on 21-4-2012 by Frogs because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-4-2012 by Frogs because: fix bolding

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Once you kick the TV addiction, weaning yourself from the celebrity infatuation becomes pretty easy. I disconnected cable and ditched TV many years ago... one of the most positive decisions I've ever made in my life.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Just wanted to say the following couple of words.
People are SHEEPS!
They follow what the industry says,
they follow what they tell them to watch and to listen.
Funny that they say that there is no such thing like brain controlling the public anymore.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Two points I feel drawn to make in regards to the content in the OP...

1) Sources please

2) How NOT to make "Blanket Statement" thread titles and/or posts

I guess people unfairly criticize the us, its probably the least there.

But it appears as though you are coming around to at least one of the two points above.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
If you really want to know here it is. Thousands of years ago, people worshipped idols made out of carved stone or carved wood and they could not walk, or talk or do anything. Those idols "evolved" into people to make them seem more lifelike. It's idolatry and we even have American Idol were people can watch the idols do their magic on the tv set to the cheering masses of the world and other countries are erecting their own Idols. Modernday idolatry.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Oh yeah? Well, Madonna says: "Papa don't preach", and Mariah Carey says: "Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the world, I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that but not with all those flies and death and stuff." Besides, Joe Theisman once said: "The word 'genius' isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." Of course, Terry Bradshaw once quipped: "I may dumb, but I'm not stupid." Also, as that wonderful French celebrity, Gustave Flaubert once said: "Here is true immorality: ignorance and stupidity; the devil is nothing but this. His name is Legion." Indeed, Adolf Hitler was an immensely popular celebrity in his day, consider what he has to say: "Humanitarianism is the expression of stupidity and cowardice."

Hell, celebrities just might be the answer to all this stupidity. Consider this tidbit by Will Rogers: "If Stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?" Another beloved French celebrity was Napoleon Bonaparte. Consider his words: "In politics stupidity is not a handicap." Robert A. Heinlein may never have been a celebrity (but if he were alive today I suspect his fame at ComicCon would thrive) but he did have this to say about stupidity: "Never underestimate the power of human stupidity." Albert Einstein (Normans cousin) was that wild and wacky celebrity who said: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Frank Zappa was really more a pseudo-celebrity, but still: "Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." That Stranger Albert Camus, also a pseudo-celebrity, said this: "Stupidity has a knack of getting its way." Edgar Allen Poe, on the other hand, had this to say: "Stupidity is a talent of misconception." Now, neither Zappa, Camus, or Poe were nearly as big a celebrity as Suzanne Field was, so we might give her words more credence: "Stupidity fuses notoriety and celebrity."
t
Pope John Paul II was probably the hugest celebrity of the 20th century (if you take The Beatles out of the picture) and here is what he said: "Stupidity is also a gift from God, but one shouldn't misuse it." Oliver Wendell Holmes was some what of a priest class lawyer sect celebrity, and he said: "Stupidity often saves men from going mad"...one might think that Justice Holmes was a big fan of The Three Stooges...

Norman Einstein's cousin Albert, also said: "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." So, with that in mind are you attempting to place limits on stupidity? What kind of tyrant are you? Stupidity is the last bastion of freedom and right on schedule, some nomad residing in Australia decides that stupidity has to be reigned in. Is this your purpose? To squash the hopes and dreams of stupid people everywhere? Let me end by quoting that famous celebrity of psychology, Frederich Nietzsche: "To forget ones purpose is the commonest form of stupidity." Have you no idea that the purpose of stupid people the world over is to be stupid? In understanding this purpose, these stupid people are flat out genius!

Save the whales? Save the celebrities!

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
After a hard days work people want to unwind, relax and enjoy themselves during the few ours they have time in the evenings, in fact it is almost necessary to do not to go crazy. They don't want to turn on the news and see all the fighting in Syria, the alleged nukes in Iran, Strait of Hormus, fighting in Egypt, missile launch North Korea, Missile launch India, Missile defense systems, wars, fighting, wars, the economic collapse, wars, nuclear threat, mass protests, rising taxes, rising unemployment, shrinking value of money, obvious conspiracies, corruption, global warming, oil running out, threat of solar flares, running out of phosphorus and freaking 2012 doomsday prophecies..

Instead they subconsciously at the very least chose to listen to the tabloid crap and live in a dream world, the tabloid sells so it soon becomes the 'actual' news.. The forms of escapism are many World of Warcraft, second life, star trek, days of our lives, big brother or Idols.. it has even come to a point where many are unable to even have feelings about things in their own lives and instead are only able to experience them in the illusory reality they like to escape into, it has somehow become more real to them.

But of course TPTB use that to indoctrinate the sheeple, and the corporate media thus gets more monneey. While the people are none the wiser and corrupt and greedy corporations and corporate government slowly but surely destroy our planet for their materialistic and vain needs, bit by bit.

Expose them.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join