It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cades Cove TN, Memories, History and Reflections

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
We, my wife and I, have discovered what we consider to be a Heaven on earth. Cades Cove Tennessee.

It is quite simply a valley in the Great Smoky Mountains that is rich in history, wildlife and scenic beauty.

I will be posting some of the more fascinating history and photographs we have taken while vacationing there.

Let me start with some of the beautiful scenery

Enjoy and stay tuned for more

Semper

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Star and Flag!

I grew up in the Smokies. Cades Cove was practically my back yard. I can't tell you how many hours I spent hiking the trails and playing in the Cove.

My first teaching job was at Smokey Mountain Elementary, which borders the national park. My first day of school, I lined up my 24 first graders and prepared to go outside to recess.

The principal stopped me and asked if I'd checked the playground for bears, bobcats, and rattlesnakes.

It was a couple of weeks before I realized he wasn't joking.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

WOW!!!!!

We just "discovered" it a couple of years ago and we are just now really getting into some of the more difficult hikes and finding some of the little "jewels" that are all over that place..

I grew up in West Virginia and still own some property there. West Virginia is beautiful but there is something magical about Cades Cove for sure. I love history and this place is certainly full of history..

Here are some of the cabins we took pics of this trip

Millionaires Row, Pink Cabin

Grist Mill

Semper

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
If you start at the Grist Mill and hike through the fields, you will eventually come to the Abram's Falls Trailhead. You have to go off-trail but it would be very difficult to get lost doing so.

One fall my friends and I decided to park at the Grist Mill (bathrooms!) and then hike over the fields to get to the Abrams Falls trail. What we stumbled across was absolutely magical.

This was fall, and the rutting season was in full swing. We stopped in the divot of a couple of hills for a rest break.

About five minutes later, a small group of deer ventured into view. Couple of does, couple of bucks. For the next twenty minutes we watched the bucks fight. Amazing.

Then the does left, and the bucks just stood around looking at each other. Eventually a lone doe came back, and the fight resumed.

While the two bucks were distracted, another buck came out of the woods....and the doe went with him. Still cracks me up.

Below is a picture of Max Patch. It's officially in the Pisgah National Forest on the NC side, but easy driving distance from Cades Cove. Beautiful heath bald and you can see forever.

edit on 21-4-2012 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Those pictures are awesome but seeing it in person is still the way to go. Cades Cove is always a favorite when I go toward Pigeon Forge. It really is a humbling place that's frozen in time.

I camped inside the cove about 20 years ago. It wasn't allowed back then either but since we only had sleeping bags and made no fire no one was the wiser. We hiked out, got the car, and drove the loop spending the rest of the day there.

Awesome place! Thank you for the pictures and the rush of memories.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I drove past a road that goes to Max Patch just last week and a friend was telling me I needed to go there. Out in the middle of nowhere

The picture has sold me. I do need to go there.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive

I drove past a road that goes to Max Patch just last week and a friend was telling me I needed to go there. Out in the middle of nowhere

The picture has sold me. I do need to go there.

Its on the appalachian trail, so bring a tent! Legal camping!

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
More information for those planning a trip to the Great Smoky Mountains:

To help you plan your hikes, go by Sugarlands Visitor Center. Its about five minutes south of Gatlinburg on US 441. Inside Sugarlands Visitor Center, you can get a free map called "Great Smoky Mountains Trail Map."

Also recommended, purchase two books (available at Sugarlands or any other bookstore). "Day Hikes of the Smokies" by Carson Brewer and "Hiking Trails of the Smokies" by multiple authors.

For a different type of hiking experience, go to Cosby Campground. From the campground, you can access the following trails: Mountain Trail to Hen Wallow Falls; Low Gap Trail; and the Mount Cammerer Trail to the Mount Cammerer Fire Tower.

If you would like any more info about hikes and events, just let me know!

smylee

top topics

join