It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

question about one modem, xbox and desktop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I'm moving and we have one dsl line in the house on the first floor. :/
My son wants his xbox upstairs but as it has to connect to the modem, I'm going to run a dsl line up the stairs to his xbox.
My pc will be in the living room by the modem. Can you hook more than one wired to one modem or would I have to get two modems in two separate lines? Right now I have a wireless laptop but it's just breaking and half the keys dont work a lott of the time unless i beat them so Im getting a desktop for real cheap from a friend.

Would this set up work or is there a way to make a desktop wireless? I'd rather go modem since it won't cost me any extra (unless I have to do two modems). Advice?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

You need a router to do that effectively.

I'd suggest one like this www.amazon.com...

It has everything you need. Both wireless, and wired connections.

If his xbox is the newer slim model, it should have internal wireless. If not, the cables are inexpensive and work just as well.

link   
I'd run wireless from pc to avoid wires,

and have Xbox connect wireless if possible

link   

You need to hook up a wireless router after the modem. Then just purchase a cheap @$20.00 wireless card for your desktop. They work great I have a few D-Links. A Wireless Router should have at least 4 ports for ethernet lines. What kind of computer do you have?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Router. You can pick up a linksys from tigerdirect for about 30 bucks or less.
There are plenty of website available on how to set one up.

www6.nohold.net...

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
It's my personal opinion that Xbox and the PC are a huge waste of your time. I've spent years digesting and consuming all forms of digital information and entertainment. Get out and see the world before it's destroyed. But if you really want to solve this problem I can help. It sounds like you need a router. A router is to a modem what a Semi-trailer is to pickup truck. Try to avoid wireless routers as people can piggyback off your signal, even with encryption. Routers aren't that expensive and somewhat simple to setup. A good brand is Linksys or D-Link. You can find them at Best Buy or any major electronics retailer. The high performance ones usually run between $75 and $100, but you can find an average one for $25 to $50. You might have a neighbor or computer geek friend who is willing to give you theirs for free. All you have to do is connect the Router to the Modem using ethernet cable (Cat5). Typical routers have about 4 connection ports in addition to the one that connects to a modem. If I were you, I would also look for someone who knows computers and networking.

This is the back of a modem. Your modem should look very similar. The yellow square is the ethernet port. Run a Cat5 cable from this port to the "Internet" labeled port on the router.

This is what the back of a router looks like. Run a cable from the modem to the port that stands alone from the other four ones that look like it.

edit on 20-4-2012 by questforevidence because:

top topics

join