It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds of thousands may lose Internet in July

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

WASHINGTON -- For computer users, a few mouse clicks could mean the difference between staying online and losing Internet connections after early July. The problem started when international hackers ran an online advertising scam to take control of infected computers around the world. In a highly unusual move, the FBI set up a safety net months ago using government computers to prevent Internet disruptions for those infected users. But that system will be shut down this summer.

Wow...

www.kvue.com...

They're going to take the internet and now they're saying it.

They have even setup a web site to "detect" and "clean" our computers so we "won't lose service."

WTF?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
This happened a month or so ago as well. Supposedly a higher number were under threat of losing their internet connection, but I don't remember anything coming from it.

ATS Thread.
edit on 20-4-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I tried looking and didn't find anything about DNS addresses or losing the internet from before this. Maybe they were talking about this before and it's now being implemented?

Or maybe I just missed it? Wouldn't be the first time.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Why am I reluntant to click the link?
Maybe later - anyone want to go
first?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

I checked it out. Didn't see anything weird and they "cleared" my computer as okay.

Just waiting for my HD to explode or the DoD to come-a-knockin'. I'll let ya'll know if either happens.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
There was a criminal conspiracy that put up fake DNS Servers (Domain Name Servers) and then infected computers all over the world to make them use their DNS Servers. They collected millions in advertising payments. The FBI put their DNS Servers in place when they busted them so that the infected computers would not become disabled due to not being able to resolve Domain Names through the DNS Servers. They are going to take those servers out and if your computer is infected (changed the DNS Servers to use those instead of the ones your ISP or third party DNS providers like OpenDNS offer) and as a result you won't be able to surf the web. You need to make sure your not infected, and clean it up if you are and make sure you are accessing the correct DNS servers. The internet is NOT being taken down. It is just an effect on the infected computers which can be fixed fairley easily.

edit on 20/4/12 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
first?

I went already just to check. Also did a whois on it. Its out of Cali, a guy by the name of Barry Greene.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by thesungod

Well, that's good to know, but my paranoia meter kicked on with the FBI offering up a site to "check and clean" your computer if it's infected? How do we know this isn't a way for them to hide a little surprise on our computers? I don't know, maybe it's on the up and up. (shrug)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

first?

Ha.. Not me. I think anyone that does is allowing a backdoor trojan monitor that will enable them to be tracked and shut-down at will by the Effa Bee Eye.

Too skeptical of the the establishment? I don't think so!... LOL

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Here is a quote from that site
www.kvue.com...
,"The FBI is encouraging users to visit a website run by a security partner that will inform them whether they're infected -- and explain how to fix the problem. After July 9, infected users won't be able to connect to the Internet.
To check and clean computers, try: www.dcwg.org
When you access the site, click on "Detect" in the upper left corner, or on the Green Button next to it.
You will be directed to a new page. Pick your language from the list and click on the link next to it.
If your computer is not infected, you will see a green logo with the message: " DNS Resolution(equals)Green. Your computer appears to be looking up IP addresses correctly!"
If you see that message, you don't need to do anything more.
If you see a message with a red logo saying your computer appears to be infected, you will be directed to a new page. You will be directed to websites that will provide antivirus tools that cybersecurity experts have identified as being effective in removing the malware.
The website also provides information on the case and the malware."

Quick, some one out there hook up with www.dcwg.org, and let us know how it works.

edit on 20-4-2012 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by thesungod

wow I might get something done around the house then, this is good and bad both.

link   
reply to post by spirit_horse

Simply eliminating the servers would be enough I would think.

As would Malware Bytes and say Peerblock. Hell even that new Microsoft Security Essentials should eliminate any issues.

So why the government pull and link?

link   

Originally posted by EarthChilde

first?

Ha.. Not me. I think anyone that does is allowing a backdoor trojan monitor that will enable them to be tracked and shut-down at will by the Effa Bee Eye.

Too skeptical of the the establishment? I don't think so!... LOL

Just remember the old ATS adage "Just because your paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you."

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

first?
I went ahead and click on it and this popped up....

Oops! Wrong link..!

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Propulsion

That would have been hilarious, but no hoax here unfortunately.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
This is so obviously a false flag. The people probably affected will be alternative media and conspiracy forums. I expect infowars to disappear almost right away to stop getting thier message out. Something new and big cometh this way i think.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

Maybe, but I'm not going to make that leap.
Just keep an eye out for the push.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar
This is so obviously a false flag. The people probably affected will be alternative media and conspiracy forums. I expect infowars to disappear almost right away to stop getting thier message out. Something new and big cometh this way i think.

Lol Infowars being alternative media. Controlled opposition is more like it.

Infowars wont be going anywhere, they got burke water filters to sell, and truth movements to make look bad yet.
edit on 20-4-2012 by Lazyninja because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
My paranoid bone is aching here.It sounds like a commo killer to eliminate by content .Does anyone know if PROMIS could be used this way?
we'll wait and see.Someone said the beast was coming about that time too.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

I hope to whatever Divine being that PROMIS can not be used this way.

Link to ATS thread on PROMIS for those that don't know about it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join