It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twelve More U.S. Families Pledge Majority of Wealth to Philanthropy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Hi to all,

I've searched and found some threads about the "giving pledge" iniative, but they are a bit older and date from the time the initiative started.
I remembered back then that i felt this happiness for seeing the intentions of these billionaires to contribute to a better world. At that time i wasn't very "awaken" as i am today (and didnt know about ATS). Today i came across with another press release from this iniative, where 12 more families have joint the project in a total of 81 (only from US for now) I've got pleased that the project is still running.

I really don't know what to think about this. I feel happy because apparently this is a good project. But when i see some names like the rockefeller and the gates couple and that they meet to share ideas, i kind of distrust this project, but really wanted to think that there are wealthy people that really care about others but themselves.

I apologize to create another thread on this but really wanted to know the opinion of some ATS users.

Do you trust? Why
Do you distrust? why?

Regards

givingpledge.org...

The Giving Pledge is an effort to invite the wealthiest individuals and families in America to commit to giving the majority of their wealth to the philanthropic causes and charitable organizations of their choice either during their lifetime or after their death. Each person who chooses to pledge will make this statement publicly, along with a letter explaining their decision to pledge. At an annual event, those who take the pledge will come together to share ideas and learn from each other. The Pledge is a moral commitment to give, not a legal contract. It does not involve pooling money or supporting a particular set of causes or organizations. While the Giving Pledge is specifically focused on billionaires, the idea takes its inspiration from efforts in the past and at present that encourage and recognize givers of all financial means and backgrounds. We are inspired by the example set by millions of Americans who give generously (and often at great personal sacrifice) to make the world a better place.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by quelmarth

That's really great quelmarth. So 12 elite families of silver spoon fed, trust fund babies are going to donate all of the ill gotten gains stolen from the poor and middle class to philantropic organizations of their choice...lovely..hip..hip hurrah! I'll bet that the poor and middleclassed families would like their stolen wealth back. I'll bet that those victimized poor an middleclassed would have liked to have the ability to use THEIR own hard earned money the way that they could have chosen.... before it was stolen by the myriad of economic scams being orchestrated by these very elite. Economic scams, felonious criminal enterprises made legal by corrupt legislators, executives and judges..all thrown unwanted scraps from the table of their lords and masters.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Well judging from some of the names in the list of twelve, a good portion of those guys seemed to have started off non rich and worked their way up to being fabulously wealthy. Guys like Elon Musk are not stealing your hard earn money to make themselves rich. Not that there isn't corrupt rich people out there that should be in jail, but I think its nice to support actions that move things in a better direction then before.

Anyway its pretty interesting and hopefully the money they pledge will do some good.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Koffee

Why can some people hog all the resources while others starve, are thirsty and go homeless? This is the great inequtiy of our time and it must stop. I do not believe you become wealthy by the sweat of your brow. I believe you become wealthy by the sweat of the brows of others. I would suggest that people stop falling for "The American Dream" B.S., because it is all just propaganda.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by HEYJOSE

in-equality is simply a fact of life

there will always be people smarter and more evil than the rest, no system can fix this

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by HEYJOSE

Ah yes, let's ignorantly label everyone who is rich as silver spoon fed, trust fund babies.

You suffer tall poppy syndrome and there is no cure.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by HEYJOSE

Ah yes, let's ignorantly label everyone who is rich as silver spoon fed, trust fund babies.

Hes somewhat right though. Rich people generally dont have the same struggles as teh common man. They lack experience with them and it comes back to hurt them later on-such as when selecting a philanthropic orginaztion to put their money to. It will ALWAYS cater to their class. You can polish a turd but at the end of the day it still a turd.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by HEYJOSE

"Tall poppy syndrome"? Isn't that why we are in Iraqistan, to promote the growth of poppy's and the illicit opiod drug traffic? "Behing every great wealth, lies a great crime", De Balzac The ignorant fail to see the predicament that they are in. I respectfully submitt that you re-evaluate your position.
edit on 24-4-2012 by HEYJOSE because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
"...the wealthiest individuals and families in America to commit to giving the majority of their wealth to the philanthropic causes and charitable organizations"

Sounds like a replay of the 'philanthropic foundation' scam. That's where they officially 'give' all their money to charity though somehow their net worth continues to skyrocket and in which the majority of their wealth is no longer taxable. So the rest of us get to pay more taxes while their own tax rates sink to almost nothing.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by HEYJOSE
reply to post by Koffee

Why can some people hog all the resources while others starve, are thirsty and go homeless? This is the great inequtiy of our time and it must stop. I do not believe you become wealthy by the sweat of your brow. I believe you become wealthy by the sweat of the brows of others. I would suggest that people stop falling for "The American Dream" B.S., because it is all just propaganda.

Sorry I didn't see this response till the thread got bumped, but let me tell you about a story of a guy who comes from my hometown. He started off doing trucking and had to get a loan from local guys to buy his own first truck. He did that for a while and came up with a new idea of how to make cargo containers be more efficient, patent it and sold it and then took proceeds to build up his own trucking empire in which people get paid good wages and have to maintain a certain level of cleanliness and style and kept the corporate HQ located near the hometown.

Where in that story did he steal the wealth of others? Or in the case of somebody like Elon Musk who sweat of the brow did he steal to get his fortune?

top topics

join