It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Once Needed 'to Take a Subway or a Bus Just to Find a Fresh Piece of Fruit’

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Obama Once Needed 'to Take a Subway or a Bus Just to Find a Fresh Piece of Fruit’
By Penny Starr
April 18, 2012

That's a quote from another administration genius.

This one is the Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan.
(His "boy wonder" picture is in the article along with a video)

But he's actually talking about Michelle Obama's program to close the grocery store gaps known as "food deserts".
(Perhaps with some justification and merits)

(CNSNews.com) - Barack Obama's vision as president is shaped by the fact that he knows what "it's like to take a subway or a bus just to find a fresh piece of fruit in a grocery store," Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan said last week.

Donovan seemed to be suggesting that the president had once lived in what First Lady Michelle Obama now refers to as a "food desert"--a place without a nearby supermarket. The First Lady has launched an initiative to eliminate these places.
I bet the "initiative" includes plenty of studies and analysis reports -- for $millions !!
And how did he know when to get off the subway ?

“Why has all this work been such a priority for the president and every one of us in the administration?” Donovan said. “Because he knows what you know: He knows what it’s like to walk the halls of public housing because he’s worked there.”

“He knows what it’s like to walk the streets of some of our cities’ poorest neighborhoods because he’s lived there,” Donovan said. “What it’s like to take a subway or a bus just to find a fresh piece of fruit in a grocery store.”

Donovan also said the president had to “wonder” about whether he could “afford a college education or decent health care” or be “judged” unfairly.

and this classic

“And [Obama] knows what it’s like to be judged not on your merits or your talent but because of where you come from, what your name is or even what you look like,” Donovan said.
Obama IS the expert !! re-elect Obama 2012
Does Obama run the country the same way too ? -- not on merits or talent

In March 2010, Mrs. Obama announced what she called a $400-million-per-year Healthy Food Financing Initiative to eradicate "food deserts" in the United States.

"Right now, 23.5 million Americans, including 6.5 million kids, live in what we call 'food deserts," Mrs. Obama said in a March 10, 2010 speech. "These are areas without a supermarket. And as a result these families wind up buying their groceries at the local gas station or convenience store, places that offer few, if any, healthy options."

Mrs. Obama said her goal was "to eliminate food deserts in America within seven years."
Well it's been two long years now. Is there any progress on this massive problem ?

I guess we have no choice but to establish satellite fresh food communes every one mile.

All administered by government managers and subsidized by taxpayers naturally.

Who really took the first bite from the Apple ??

Related Thread from last month: --> Walking a Mile With Groceries is a Hardship That Could Prevent Families From Getting Healthy Foods

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Most areas that don't have grocery stores nearby DON'T have buses or subways. Come on Obama!

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Well, in two years of hard work to eliminate those "food deserts", I still drive a couple miles to get to a well stocked Grocery store and I imagine I always will. Gee... What a hardship. I'll trade him for the subway ride these days. It's sure cheaper than my gas!

Now I will say I see real progress in one area. Every time I see a picture of Michelle away from a podium, she seems to have a hand or mouthful of some form of greasy or doughy food and plenty of it too! The First kids seem quite..ahem..well fed! I believe we can say that there isn't a "food desert" anywhere near the Obama family. Even when they go to a desert, you can bet a food oasis is following the First appetites.

I'm sure it didn't cost us too many hundreds of millions for all this nonsense. At least Nancy Reagan gave us a catchy buzz phrase. Heck, who will *EVER* forget "Just Say No". I think she wins the award for all time best tag line for a White House human interest campaign.

On the other hand..Well.. Michelle Obama lecturing the nation about eating habits is like her Husband lecturing us about smoking or Betty Ford lecturing the nation on drinking alcohol.
When they clean up their vices, we can be told to clean up ours.

edit on 19-4-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: minor change

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by BrittanyLea

“He knows what it’s like to walk the streets of some of our cities’ poorest neighborhoods because he’s lived there,” Donovan said. “What it’s like to take a subway or a bus just to find a fresh piece of fruit in a grocery store.”

It didn't say he was relating the two ideas. The speech was supposed to try and connect with poor people because statistically poor people use public transportation. The speech about food deserts happened two years ago, I'm not sure why the article joined them together?

---------------------------------------------------------

In March 2010, Mrs. Obama announced what she called a $400-million-per-year Healthy Food Financing Initiative to eradicate "food deserts" in the United States.

But anyways to the OP, what does eliminating food deserts mean? Government subsidized walmarts? More fascist ideas from the Obama admin?

edit on 19-4-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

In other news, last week, I had to
drive my car 6 miles
to reach the grocery store. I bet that cost more money than a subway would have.

We don't even have subways where I live. I'm so deprived!!

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I just meant that subways and buses are generally in urban areas. Urban areas usually have stores and shops. I don't really know though. I've always been in rural areas. Some of us have to drive up to an hour to get to a grocery store. That's a food desert.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by BrittanyLea

Yeah I know, I'm just saying the speech didn't correlate food deserts with cities or public transportation. The article blended two speeches that seem to have nothing to do with one another together for propaganda purposes I suppose.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Ahh, I see what you're saying. I think you have it pinned.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Dr. Phil needed to live of 2 dollar value menu's from Mc Donalds, and look how he turned out.

What's your point?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Required01

Dr. Phil needed to live of 2 dollar value menu's from Mc Donalds, and look how he turned out.

What's your point?

I can't make a point until I know more.

Who is Dr. Phil ?

And how Did he turn out ?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I remember the 49 cent cheeseburger from Mcdonalds when I was a kid. My mom had us eating those until the sale ended.

Poor, poor Obama.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrittanyLea
I remember the 49 cent cheeseburger from Mcdonalds when I was a kid. My mom had us eating those until the sale ended.

Poor, poor Obama.

We had a fast food place called the "29 cent hamberger stand"

Thats pretty much all they had.

and fries.

Then inflation turned it into the "39 cent hamberger stand".

then it went out of business.

I ate all kinds. all day.

edit on 19-4-2012 by Frankenchrist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Required01

What does Dr.Phil have to do with this thread?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

What's your point?

Who is Dr. Phil ?

LOL April Fools day is 2 weeks ago, no way that a person from Las Vegas has no clue who Dr. Phil is!

The big time tv Dr. who helps people with there lives etc. He was broke as hell when he grew up and he now is a big fancy doctor with millions.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Look beyond the obvious.
2nd

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

What's your point?

Who is Dr. Phil ?

LOL April Fools day is 2 weeks ago, no way that a person from Las Vegas has no clue who Dr. Phil is!

The big time tv Dr. who helps people with there lives etc. He was broke as hell when he grew up and he now is a big fancy doctor with millions.

Oh That Dr. Phil !!

I had to verify your implication.

Well then he must be living proof that the food desert program has no merit.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Required01

Dr.phil is clinically overweight and visibly out of shape so eating those Mc Donalds burgers didn't help him out much. Again, I don't see the connection to this thread.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
yeah?

Well I had to WALK to school.
UPHILL.

BOTH WAYS.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   

new topics

top topics