It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sound Cannons to be Used Against Protestors in Chicago (Video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Sound Cannons to be Used Against Protestors in Chicago (Video)

youtu.be

The 38th G8 summit is coming up next month. Police in Chicago have made the decision to use sound cannons against protesters. The LRAD, or Long Range Acoustic Device, was developed for use by the military, but has since been used to shoot civilians from 2009 and on. The LRAD may be capable of causing permanent hearing loss.
President Obama has moved the location of the G8 summit from Chicago to Camp David, where it will be inaccessible to the public. There has been speculation that the…
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.democracynow.org
edi t on 17-4-2012 by Terrorist because: embedded Youtube video

edit on 17-4-2012 by Terrorist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Seems kind of authoritarian that they are already PLANNING to use sound cannons on protestors. It's just gonna be a peaceful protest. That sort of thing seems to be illegal lately though…
Also, what other possible reason could the president have had to change the location of the G8 summit from Chicago (public) to Camp David (isolated)? He changed it immediately after he found out there were gonna be protests and as far as I know, all the other G8 summits haven't been in seclusion like this…

Here's the full episode the clip was from:
youtu.be...

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
We were talking about this the other day here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Crazy isn't it? I wonder if 'sonic testing' has anything to do with the sounds heard around the world?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Does hearing protection work against this?
Surely it has to have some benefit.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Terrorist

This will be a tough decision, as an attack on the protesters and possible injuries may reflect on Obama and his reelection bid. These demonstrations, as I understand it, are organized and will be attended by nonviolent protestors. Anyone who comes and creates violence or breaks windows, etc., is not part of the organized protest and should be considered simply for what they are, criminals using the cover of peace for their crimes.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed

I wonder if an anti-sound weapon could be developed and deployed to counter. A white-noise anti sound defensive system could possibly be deployed to nullify by returning opposing frequencies. No expert, just thinking out loud.Any thoughts on the possibility?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed

It would surely help, but OMG how can this sort of weapon be turned upon the citizens of this "United States" without total outrage and revolution? Seems its the United Satanists now...

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

It depends largely on which device they are use if ear protection has any effect. The Sea Shepard Conservation group has faced the LRAD devices over the last few years as the Japanese whaling fleet has used them. Sea Shepard has had some success in using hearing protection to diminish the effects.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

While I'm not really sure, I have heard that the acoustic effects of the LRAD are comparable to those of IEDs that NATO troops encounter in combat zones. So, I would think that you'd have to have some exceptional hearing protection to be able to not be adversely affected…

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terrorist

Seems kind of authoritarian that they are already PLANNING to use sound cannons on protestors. It's just gonna be a peaceful protest. That sort of thing seems to be illegal lately though…
Also, what other possible reason could the president have had to change the location of the G8 summit from Chicago (public) to Camp David (isolated)? He changed it immediately after he found out there were gonna be protests and as far as I know, all the other G8 summits haven't been in seclusion like this…

Here's the full episode the clip was from:
youtu.be...

Wait. He "changed it immediately after he found out there were gonna be protests"? Wot the HELL? Was there ever any question that there would be protests?

I aim this not at you, OP, but am just questioning how isolated and disconnected our Beloved Presidente is. Does he know what the G8 is and what they represent to us at all? [Shakes head in disbelief and sadness....]

Oh--S&F for you.
edit on 4/17/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

This will be a tough decision, as an attack on the protesters and possible injuries may reflect on Obama and his reelection bid. These demonstrations, as I understand it, are organized and will be attended by nonviolent protestors. Anyone who comes and creates violence or breaks windows, etc., is not part of the organized protest and should be considered simply for what they are, criminals using the cover of peace for their crimes.

Police in Chicago made the decision, not the president. Besides, I really doubt conservatives would care about the suppression of left-wing protestors. And even if they did, they're not voting for Obama anyway.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Ok, then how would this sound compare to what I heard on the flight deck/line full of F-14s and F-18s? I mean these things are not quiet either and will surely do considerable hearing damage without it. My hearing protection did indeed work and I can still hear just fine.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Oh, well considering that, I actually think it would work, you're probably right. I underestimated what the protection could do

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Which is why I am trying to find a definitive answer as to whether hearing protection would work or not in this case. I am sure if it is the same "sound" that it can be circumvented. Not sure if this type of sound wave can be blocked, or if it is the kind that gets "inside" your head.

I am going somewhere with this if I can figure it out.

top topics

join