It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maranatha, Maranatha, Maranatha....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Wiki...

Maranatha (either מרנא תא: maranâ' thâ' or מרן אתא: maran 'athâ' ) is an Aramaic word occurring twice in the New Testament (see Aramaic of Jesus) and also in the Didache which is part of the Apostolic Fathers' collection. It is transliterated into Greek letters rather than translated, and is found at the end of Paul's First Epistle to the Corinthians (1 Cor 16:22) . The NRSV translates it as: "Our Lord, come!" but notes that it could also be translated as: "Our Lord has come"; the NIV translates: "Come, O Lord"; the NAB notes:

Source...

As "mara-natha," it means "Come Lord," or "Lord Come." As "maran-atha," it means "Lord is Here" or "Lord has Come."

Lets pretend for sake of objectivity, that this is not Christian. Lets also for sake of argument pretend that "Lord" is open to interpretation. Upon those principles try this with an open mind. Let me know how it goes for you....

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice.
Candyman, Candyman, Candyman.
Maranatha, Maranatha, Maranatha.

Nope, not working.

Sorry but I'm not understanding what you're trying to accomplish here. It looks like you're just pointing out that the word has other possible meanings. If so, what's your point?

I am pretending that Maranatha has nothing to do with Christianity and that the "Lord" you speak of is open to interpretation. Now what?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Excellent form of meditation thank you OP will try it soon thanks again

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Noncents

Read the links.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   

I have read the links, you provided them as source info for your points about the language.

If you are asking about using the phrase as meditation then it's as good as any other word, sound or phrase anybody would use. The willful intent and direction of personal energy are what appear to be key in metaphysical/occult/magic meditation/ritual/worship.
edit on 17-4-2012 by Noncents because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Unable to transcend lower mental plane, as mind identifies Maranatha with name of local peanut butter company, organic, Maranatha... peanut butter cookies, sandwiches......dammit! Clear mind... Maranatha.... Peanut Butter Cups!!!

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Chanting similar phrases in Sanskrit is a common practice in various Eastern religions such as Buddhism.

These are usually used to focus the mind on a principle that the specific deity or boddhisatva stand for. It is mental practice.

Christians also chant, so I can imagine there are similiar practices in Christianity. Chanting the Lord's Prayer will also set you into a specific frame of mind. But I think the frame of mind that Christians aim for is obediance and servitude, while buddhists look for compassion and openness.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by fedeykin

As a Christian I chant for freedom and deliverance. Not to Obey. Grave misunderstandings of the bible and it's scripture currently run rampant in the church.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   

And you need that deliverance given to you by a supreme being? Why don't you create it for yourself?

Christianity is the ultimate excuse for an external locus of control.
edit on 18-4-2012 by fedeykin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Buddhism does not have a deity, they do not worship. In fact even the Christian bible says have no idols.
Chanting and matras are used to shut out other thoughts.
However, the manta or chant appear within the silence and it is the silence that is holy.

The whole of creation appears within the silence. The silence is peace yet humans are either not aware of it or are afraid of it. They are afraid of it because it is the death of the mind made self. It is death for the individual. Unless you have had enough of life and are willing to give it up the ego will not want the silence.

youtu.be...
edit on 18-4-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Buddhism does not have a deity, they do not worship. In fact even the Christian bible says have no idols.
Chanting and matras are used to shut out other thoughts.
However, the manta or chant appear within the silence and it is the silence that is holy.

The whole of creation appears within the silence. The silence is peace yet humans are either not aware of it or are afraid of it. They are afraid of it because it is the death of the mind made self. It is death for the individual. Unless you have had enough of life and are willing to give it up the ego will not want the silence.

youtu.be...

Buddhism has beings that can be explained as Deities such as Guan Yin, Amitah or the 28 Arhats. Many buddhist sects take this further, many deny it all together. But they will chant things like Guan Shi Yin Pusa (chinese chant) which means as much as "venerable guan yin the boddhisatva".

This is done for mental practice and the use of concepts that Guan Yin, for example, represents.

Saying the mantras are used to "shut out other thoughts" is a gross over-simplification. Silent meditation is the groundstone of most buddhist practice.

The rest of your post I can't comment on, because I have no idea what you mean with "the silence that is holy".
edit on 18-4-2012 by fedeykin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

The lady in that video creeps me out, and talks a lot without saying anything of significance.

Just so you know.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

As a matter of fact you have not even a clue as to what I believe. I think you should ask more questions to understand what's going on before making assumptions about my beliefs and attacking.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

The whole of creation appears within the silence. So the silence is the container of it all, so it is (w)holy - it is whole.
Everything appears on silence, music has to have gaps of silence, like before you can paint a picture there has to be a canvas before the paint. And pictures cannot be seen on tv unless there is a screen present.

Meditation is about finding the stillness, the silence. because when you find the silence you will be free of all 'things' and will know your true nature.
The lady in the video is showing how to find the stillness, the silence.
The mind won't like what she says and will dismiss it as insignificant because the mind will lose all it's power over you. It is the mind that causes the human condition of suffering and all religions and chanting and meditation are pointing toward the end of suffering.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion

As a matter of fact you have not even a clue as to what I believe. I think you should ask more questions to understand what's going on before making assumptions about my beliefs and attacking.

I don't think I claimed to know what you believe, and I'm sorry if I offended you. I was also not attacking you personally, but rather Christianity.

And since I have been surrounded by Christians, live in a Christian society and studied the religion, I have a good feeling of what they believe.

There are always deviations on Christianity though.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   

The whole of creation appears within the silence. So the silence is the container of it all, so it is (w)holy - it is whole.
Everything appears on silence, music has to have gaps of silence, like before you can paint a picture there has to be a canvas before the paint. And pictures cannot be seen on tv unless there is a screen present.

Meditation is about finding the stillness, the silence. because when you find the silence you will be free of all 'things' and will know your true nature.
The lady in the video is showing how to find the stillness, the silence.
The mind won't like what she says and will dismiss it as insignificant because the mind will lose all it's power over you. It is the mind that causes the human condition of suffering and all religions and chanting and meditation are pointing toward the end of suffering.

According to Buddhism, and what I happen to believe, it is not the mind that causes suffering. It is desire and attachment.

Meditation is about increasing the oxygen levels in your brain to be able to effectively train your mind. There are many types of meditation, and meditating on "emptyness" or "silence" is just one of the methods.

If you are searching for silence, you will automatically move away from the state of mind referred to as Jhana. Since in the silence there is also infinite noise, and in emptyness there is also infinite being.

But I am far from being able to explain this, so I refer you to a short sutra that explains it much better then I can:
Heart Sutra

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   

What is wrong with right now unless you 'think' about it........?
There is nothing wrong until the mind tells you there is and then the mind can try to solve the problem that it created. It is a real distraction from what is really happening.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   

I do not have to search for silence or stillness because it is my true nature, where do i have to go to find myself? The noise appears on me, in me, as me. Appearances cannot appear without a space for them to appear on.
Pictures cannot appear on a tv unless there is a screen present, the screen must 'be' before any 'thing' can appear.
I am the screen existence appears on. If the screen is already full (full of mind) the true picture is not seen with clarity.

Emptiness is form:
youtu.be...
edit on 20-4-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
Wiki...

Maranatha (either מרנא תא: maranâ' thâ' or מרן אתא: maran 'athâ' ) is an Aramaic word occurring twice in the New Testament (see Aramaic of Jesus) and also in the Didache which is part of the Apostolic Fathers' collection. It is transliterated into Greek letters rather than translated, and is found at the end of Paul's First Epistle to the Corinthians (1 Cor 16:22) . The NRSV translates it as: "Our Lord, come!" but notes that it could also be translated as: "Our Lord has come"; the NIV translates: "Come, O Lord"; the NAB notes:

Source...

You are another one who wants to force your "belief" as "gospel truth" onto others.
Wish you all would cease.
You are like the Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses knocking on my door, ad nauseam.

As "mara-natha," it means "Come Lord," or "Lord Come." As "maran-atha," it means "Lord is Here" or "Lord has Come."

Lets pretend for sake of objectivity, that this is not Christian. Lets also for sake of argument pretend that "Lord" is open to interpretation. Upon those principles try this with an open mind. Let me know how it goes for you....

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   

I do not have to search for silence or stillness because it is my true nature, where do i have to go to find myself? The noise appears on me, in me, as me. Appearances cannot appear without a space for them to appear on.
Pictures cannot appear on a tv unless there is a screen present, the screen must 'be' before any 'thing' can appear.
I am the screen existence appears on. If the screen is already full (full of mind) the true picture is not seen with clarity.

Emptiness is form:
youtu.be...
edit on 20-4-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

If you are saying that you are the screen that existence appears on, and you need to be silent in order to see everything in it's true form on the screen, then you are saying that you will never be able to see what is outside of that screen.

You are limiting your depth of understanding by trying to empty the cup so you can see the nothingness in it, but you forget to look at what else is on the table and everything that exists beyond the table and the vastness of the cosmos beyond it.

"Emptiness is form, and form is emptiness" a quote from the link I posted, although in this specific translation it uses the word "void"

edit on 20-4-2012 by fedeykin because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join