It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

take two! quiet please.... it's about swearing. click it i'll explain.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Okay so a few minutes ago I typed a title then pressed "Enter" and it was posted.

A few people thought it was a joke or something so a mod threw the thread down the trash chute. No big deal except at the same time I saw the mistake and was trying to correct my thread.

It was trashed so that's why I did the take 2 thing.......anyway.

What it was about was my observation of how society has recently become much more lenient when it comes to swearing on tv and movies.

A lot of what I said I don't remember. But I remember thinking the msm media wants us to worry about internet censorship while they losen the reigns. I don't know why they would it's just stuff I notice.

For example how the mpaa was bullied by the movie Bully into changing the rating from R to PG-13.
CNN anchors swear all of the time!

Mostly I want to hear what you think. Is it just me am I crazy?
Or is it part of the strange stuff going on all around us? I think someone should look into this more deeply maybe even do a thread on it.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by eyeseaewe

btw... did you see the movie rango??

that movie should have been rated R lol

i was like hmmm this is a good movie HOLY ************

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I've noticed too I think its more about marketing than anything else though. They make more money off it because it triggers an emotional response much like sex or death so they've been pushing things to the limit to get more viewers. A little vulgarity when used in an appropriate down to earth context are ok but some of this garbage makes me sick, and I have the mouth of a sailor so that's pretty bad.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska

btw... did you see the movie rango??

that movie should have been rated R lol

i was like hmmm this is a good movie HOLY ************

Haha that was a great movie. But yes I agree with you I was surprised

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

Yea, my son fell asleep during Rango while I stayed up to watch. It was more adult oriented.

Yes, I have noticed how lenient they've become. With commercials too. Have you seen the shticky commercial?
www.youtube.com...
edit on 15-4-2012 by BrittanyLea because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
i can remember when some programs here in the uk were limited to like 2 bloodys and 1 bugger or something like that from the alf garnett days and even these days its pretty hard to say **bleep** or **bleep** on the tv
before 9pm without good cause

some words are strange as i can ask for a bloody mary but if i tell my mum that the finger i just mashed with a hammer bloody hurts i'll get a clip around the ear for swearing so like everything linguistical it based on meaning which makes it impossible to completely filter out anything offensive

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Your thread was closed because the little schoolboy in some of us can't resist making humourous comments at some things. Catchy titles and zero content threads often seem to work on ATS. The last one ran a couple of days and got something like 70 flags and a bunch of stars while everyone made humourous and T&C compliant comments. The OP came back after 2 or 3 days to discover his mistake and was astounded to see how an empty post had gained so much positive attention. He made a new post much like you have done to explain, apologise and express his surprise.

It happens. Try composing the whole article first in something functional like notepad or an equivalent text editor. It prevents browser crash problems too.

As for your idea, I think it's not just swearing but violence, sexuality, maybe even morals too. To put it simply, what you can get away with on TV today is not the same as in our parent's day. They seem to keep changing the dial, slowly, but surely.

edit on 15/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Grammar

ETA And for my part in it all, I apologise. Sometimes a lure is hard to resist.

edit on 15/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Are you sure MPAA was "bullied" by Bully, or did they just have a good argument? The movie is a serious documentary, not gratuitous entertainment. It's attempting to start a dialog about a very real and upsetting phenomenon. If the movie had been rated "R" then young people could not have seen it, yet these same people are the ones who SHOULD see it to get the message across. Bully simply used this argument to the MPAA and was allowed a reconsideration. I don't really see that as an escalation of profanity. As far as I know, the same rules still apply for TV. They've not been relaxed.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Swear words are a human construct as is language all together. They only denote a negative connotation because we wish to have it, wish to have "good" and "bad",

and you can say plenty of negative things without swearing. The whole thing is a big joke IMO.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I tend to loose interest quickly when I have to weed through the trash language to hear the gist of the story. Some of the worst are the UFO vids from excited witnesses. I will, on rare occasions, use a choice word to make my point, but I would advise anyone who wants their comments heard, to keep it clean. And, for those who remember when to use (who or whom), I apologize for never getting it. (or caring that much about it.)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

I always thought 'bloody' just meant 'extremely' .

join