It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Parkinson’s Disease Treatment Could Improve Lives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
New Parkinson’s Disease Treatment Could Improve Lives
April 13, 2012 5:56 PM -- CBS Pittsburgh

A new gene therapy that re-starts dopamine production in humans has been tested on 15 people and apparently has good results.

Dopamine is the chemical needed by Parkinson's sufferers to fight the disease.

British scientists at Oxford have developed the treatment.

Very good news IMO

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Doctors in Britain say a radical new treatment for Parkinson’s disease could improve the lives of millions who suffer from the disease.

Sheila Roy says she can finally enjoy life at her countryside home in England.

She’s lived with Parkinson’s disease for 17 years, but a team of Oxford scientists developed a treatment that changed her life.

“I can see a glimmer of the person I used to be now, which is really exciting,” said Roy.

She is one of only 15 people in the world to take part in a gene therapy experiment. ....

Parkinson's Background:

Parkinson's disease (also known as Parkinson disease, Parkinson's, idiopathic parkinsonism, primary parkinsonism, PD, or paralysis agitans) is a degenerative disorder of the central nervous system. The motor symptoms of Parkinson's disease result from the death of dopamine-generating cells in the substantia nigra, a region of the midbrain; the cause of this cell death is unknown. Early in the course of the disease, the most obvious symptoms are movement-related; these include shaking, rigidity, slowness of movement and difficulty with walking and gait. Later, cognitive and behavioural problems may arise, with dementia commonly occurring in the advanced stages of the disease. Other symptoms include sensory, sleep and emotional problems. PD is more common in the elderly, with most cases occurring after the age of 50.
Parkinson's Disease

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

As one suffering from Parkinson's, I sincerely thank you for sharing this information so that others may better understand us.

All my best,

~V~
edit on 4/14/2012 by ~Vixen~ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

This is great. May be some hope for Micheal J. Fox, one of my favorite actors. Loved him in "Hollywood Doc".

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

it says COULD. COULD. COULD.

why not try this?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
interesting, xuenchen

makes sense ketones would provide stable energy to the brain from stored fat rather than fluctuating blood glucose levels.

sucks that coconut oil is so high in sat fat and calories per serving. and only like 60% MCTs

luckily there's mct oil and gee i wonder if rasberry ketones would help parkinson's symptoms too?

totally cure though? iunno if coconut oil totally cures it does it?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
This treatment is gene therapy

Apparently gene therapy is not drug therapy.

Gene therapy is the use of DNA as a pharmaceutical agent to treat disease. It derives its name from the idea that DNA can be used to supplement or alter genes within an individual's cells as a therapy to treat disease. The most common form of gene therapy involves using DNA that encodes a functional, therapeutic gene in order to replace a mutated gene. Other forms involve directly correcting a mutation, or using DNA that encodes a therapeutic protein drug (rather than a natural human gene) to provide treatment. In gene therapy, DNA that encodes a therapeutic protein is packaged within a "vector", which is used to get the DNA inside cells within the body. Once inside, the DNA becomes expressed by the cell machinery, resulting in the production of therapeutic protein, which in turn treats the patient's disease.

Gene therapy was first conceptualized in 1972, with the authors urging caution before commencing gene therapy studies in humans.[1] The first FDA-approved gene therapy experiment in the United States occurred in 1990, when Ashanti DeSilva was treated for ADA-SCID.[2] Since then, over 1,700 clinical trials have been conducted using a number of techniques for gene therapy.[3]

Although early clinical failures led many to dismiss gene therapy as over-hyped, clinical successes in 2009-2011 have bolstered new optimism in the promise of gene therapy. These include successful treatment of patients with the retinal disease Leber's Congenital Amaurosis,[4][5][6][7] X-linked SCID,[8] ADA-SCID,[9] adrenoleukodystrophy,[10] and Parkinson's disease.[11] These recent clinical successes have led to a renewed interest in gene therapy, with several articles in scientific and popular publications calling for continued investment in the field.

Gene Therapy

It sounds more like a DNA modification.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

This is great. May be some hope for Micheal J. Fox, one of my favorite actors. Loved him in "Hollywood Doc".

yes i liked him in the sitcoms.

amazing how these actors become champions of various illnesses when it effects them personally,otherwise they would not give a flying .... and rather spend the money on houses,hookers,whores and private leerjets.

also i would not be surprised if many of these disease foundations are little more than a tax dodge.

it would be great if more of these actors become ill and then we could spend some more money on these rich people diseases.

edit on 18-4-2012 by nobodysavedme because: rick people

top topics

join