It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayor Corey Booker saves woman from fire.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Mayor Cory A. Booker of Newark rescued a woman trapped in a burning house Thursday night and carried her to safety. Booker was treated for smoke inhalation at a local hospital and released. He also suffered second-degree burns on his hand. During a press conference Friday morning, Booker rejected suggestions that he is a hero for his role in the rescue. "I think that's way over the top. I'm a neighbor who did what most neighbors would do, jump into action to help a friend," he said. In fact, Booker said he thought he and his fellow rescuers might die in the effort. "I felt fear. I really didn't think we were going to get out of there,"

news.yahoo.com...

This guy is simply the model elected official, the kind of guy that I want running my city. This event is interesting, because how many times do we see a politicians morality or bravery tested, aside from the bills they pass or a military past? I think most people when faced with a situation like this would instantly try to help their neighbor or friend. This is just another instance of Cory Booker being that guy. That guy whose intelligent, brave, articulate, educated and empathetic.

I watch his show Brick City, and I've seen him crusade to transform the perception of Newark, New Jersey from a gloomy, ruthless, industrial city to the national model of urban reform. Did you know the last 5 mayors of Newark had been indicted on charges of corruption? Talk about a bad legacy... Unfortunately, the numbers under Booker don't necessarily reflect Booker's dedication, but it's the ambition that counts, and if I was a resident of Newark, I would gladly vote for him again. On the show I see him walking through the hood giving young men jobs, reaching out to the homeless, veterans and the elderly. There's really nothing I haven't seen him do...

I'm noticing this trend lately, that elected-officials have less heart then the average citizen. I don't care what party a person is from, I just want more politicians to be more like Cory Booker.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainNemo

I'd have to agree with him... being called a 'Hero' is a bit over the top, but none the less a great man... or at least a man of a daring deeds.

Lets give this man some face time:

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
That's a great story, and thanks for adding the extra tidbits on the mayor. I don't know anything at all about him, but given the history and environment of the city, he's had a lot to fight against. Hopefully he'll set the model for what's to come for the city.

join