It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada looks to speed entry of skilled foreign workers

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Originally posted by metaldemon2000

Canada looks to speed entry of skilled foreign workers

m.sympatico.ca

Immigration Minister Jason Kenney said the government will modify its Federal Skilled Worker Program,which has been skewed towards professionals,to try to attract trades people and other skilled workers that are in short supply in Canada during the current commodities boom. The new system will also increase the role of employers in the immigration system, allowing them to fill vital jobs faster
(visit the link for the full news article)

IT Professionals? If so I am soooooooooooo there!

Then you had better read what I posted above as well. I am no kidding on this, I have dual citizenship, this is a way to find out what I know. Good Luck.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by badconduct

Where did I say they would be beggars or refugees??

I was merely pointing out the flawed logic in this proposal. Look at the facts, real facts.
According to the Globe and Mail:

There’s no shortage of people looking for work. Some 1.4 million Canadians are unemployed, the jobless rate is still above pre-recession levels and youth unemployment is nearly 14 per cent. Despite this, employers across the country say they can’t find the right workers for all kinds of available jobs.

That is a VERY big number, don't you think? 1.4 million... I wonder if it's a conservative number...
The article goes on to say:

Groups with high jobless rates such as aboriginal people, recent immigrants and those with disabilities are struggling to land good jobs, limiting their ability to climb the economic ladder.

So, if recent immigrants and other people we already have living here are having a hard time.. It wouldn't take a skilled laborer to see what would happen if we add more to the mix...

Structural shifts in the labour market mean “workers in declining industries may not have the skills or experience to match immediately the needs of employers in expanding industries,” Mr. Carney said in a speech last week. Unemployment is high, even as the number of job vacancies continues to rise, he noted. Indeed, as of December there were 222,000 vacancies across the country, according to Statistics Canada. The Bank of Canada’s business outlook survey, released Monday, showed a slew of employers are struggling to fill positions. The survey showed 27 per cent of firms reported a labour shortage this spring, near a three-year high, though below levels seen last decade.

So the solution is to bring in new people? Wouldn't it be more logical to retrain or relocate the people already living here? But I digress, I mentioned that point in an earlier post.

Read the article, it's good. Brian Doody, CEO of Teledyne Dalsa Inc. says young people aren't really pursuing a higher education lately.. can you blame them? Have you seen the cost of tuition?

“It is tough to get these professional truck drivers to move from Woodstock, Ontario, to Dawson Creek or Grande Prairie or Fort McMurray where we need drivers and they are paid considerably higher than what they were making in Southern Ontario.”

A friend of mine was a truck driver, he retrained for carpentry. No one told him about these jobs elsewhere, his family helped him look. How he would be able to afford to move his family is another thing, you don't get much from employment insurance.

The Star . com states:

Recent grads can’t get jobs. People can’t afford to retire. Unemployment is up (again) and the latest jobless figures are bleak. ...
Low-skilled but high-paying jobs have moved offshore, leaving either low-paying jobs, or professional jobs that require specific technical skills with too few people to fill them. ...
“About 7 out of 10 jobs require post-secondary education,” he said. The focus needs to be on getting marginalized populations like people with disabilities, Aboriginal populations and disenfranchised young men into post-secondary education.

Recent grads can't get jobs ... and you're still buying the dogma? That fact in it's self is most disturbing. Self-marketing only goes so far if no one is hiring your skill set, you need to relocate.
These people are saying exactly what I was, get our own unemployed people educated so they can fill in these gaps. It also goes on to say there needs to be more employers offering apprenticeships and internships. I knew a cabinet maker who immigrated from Austria. Because no one would apprentice him here, and his education was obviously different from the Canadian system, he drives a school bus now. Employers could also offer on-the-job-training if they're that desperate!

All you have to do is use a search engine and look up some more recent employment stats. (don't forget to -immigrants or all you'll find is the story we're discussing here) Look at the numbers of people needed and the number of people in need.

Get off the whole 'more income taxes' idea, because if these people were making a decent wage, the government would have their money all the same.

Wake up and educate yourself before you accuse anyone else of something they did not do!

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

I'm surprised it took this long for Canada to perpetrate the lie that they need to import foreign workers because skilled ones are in short supply. I guess corporate greed knows no boundaries, and it certainly has crossed the US-Canadian border.
It is not about skill, as most members here know. It is about corporate profits, and maximizing them, at the expense of Canadian workers. Unfortunately, this is what happens when capitalism is allowed to run amok, with no controls on human rights and conditions. We all know that these foreign workers are paid less, live in squalid conditions, but take the jobs because they benefit more from the situation than they would in their own country. The solution is simple. Allow this to occur, but tax the companies that do this at 100% of the wages paid. Watch how quickly this scam stops.

<< 1  2   >>

join