It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada looks to speed entry of skilled foreign workers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

m.sympatico.ca

Immigration Minister Jason Kenney said the government will modify its Federal Skilled Worker Program,which has been skewed towards professionals,to try to attract trades people and other skilled workers that are in short supply in Canada during the current commodities boom. The new system will also increase the role of employers in the immigration system, allowing them to fill vital jobs faster
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Absolute BS in my opinion.

Ask any Canadian that is out of work right now. It's almost impossible to find a decent skilled trade job right now.
Just another way our beloved govt is treating its natural born residents like second class citizens.

Right now, there are many Canadian cities where there are high numbers of graduate of skilled trades programs out of work. Ontario, Canada's most populated province is hemorrhaging jobs and residents like crazy due to massive job losses and austerity measures.

All the jobs are in Alberta right now butbinstead of helping Canadians connect to jobs across the country nope Lets just bring in cheap labour instead.

Its no secret that the Canadian govt has been trying to boost immigration due to the low fertility rate in Canada. What they don't understand is that Canadians don't want to have children due to the impossibly high costs of raising a family here. Not to mention lack of decent paying jobs.

Also what I find isn't all that fair is the ease of which immigrants can qualify for business grants and loans. The average Canadian under the age of 35 has a near impossible time acquiring start up funding for a business without having a ton of assets or savings but a fresh off the boat immigrant can open a business no problem within months of landing.

Where I live in northern Ontario there aren't many high paying jobs. Nearly 60% of wage earners make below poverty line wages up here. Until about five or six years ago we had barely any immigrants up here and just about everything was a family owned business. Now every second business is owned by new Canadians who literally appeared out of nowhere. These people refuse to hire any locals.

I don't have anything against immigrants however I don't like how natural born Canadians are treated like second class citizens.
I know people who would kill to take these jobs out west but have no access to them due to financial difficulties, moving family. Why can't the govt streamline the process to help Canadians relocate?? Offer a moving grant? Did they bother asking the hundreds of thousands who lost their full time jobs over the last 5 years if they wanted a crack at these jobs??

Come on.

m.sympatico.ca

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Interesting, I just did a contract job that was for the Fed and specifically detailed that every year currently 250,000 new immigrants come into Canada, the majority being skilled workers...if the significantly up the ante on immigrations it will indeed be difficult for more and more people to find work as many of the immigration employers receive cutbacks and bonuses from the Fed ironically which makes them tend to hire a skilled immigrant over a Canadian they have to pay higher wages to.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
immigrants, even skilled ones will work cheaper than any canadian will ever accept.

they probably have a statistic to back it up, that if anyone cared, would case outrage if published in a newspaper.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Just because an immigrant will work for $3/hr and live in what is basically a tool shed with no heat or electricity doesn't mean we should lower our standards and disregard the labor laws our grandfathers fought so hard to get enacted.

I also think this is BS, and am sick of browsing classifieds with so many open positions but only accepting people with 2-5 years of experience. I know a LOT of people who are stuck in dead-end jobs or don't have one at all and would love to pick up a trade, but no trade jobs are hiring fresh guys right now despite everybody saying that "Trades are the way to go!".

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Interesting............they have just done the same here in Australia.

Also opened the gates to USA for the first time.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by metaldemon2000

m.sympatico.ca

Immigration Minister Jason Kenney said the government will modify its Federal Skilled Worker Program,which has been skewed towards professionals,to try to attract trades people and other skilled workers that are in short supply in Canada during the current commodities boom. The new system will also increase the role of employers in the immigration system, allowing them to fill vital jobs faster

I gotta ask, why? Because they won't hire the people that are skilled.

I have 38 years in electronics engineering, software, firmware, encryption and hardware development as well as physics, working for the military, ORDCF, the NRC and universities as a private research and development contractor. I had to open my own business (a couple actually), because nobody will employ me otherwise and it's been that way since 2001. I just designed an entire electronic system in 3 days using Cadence/Orcad/Allegro (it took me 5 days for a microwave weapon system controller) and I'm filing patents next week. Yeah, I shouldn't be hired for anything, especially not my own field.

But this is happening and not just to me, I know other people that don't swallow the MSM and government BS that this happening to as well. I've seen math and physics PhD's as well as engineers and architects stocking shelves in grocery stores! I have been doing some research on this from a personal level, sending out the FOIA's to easily piss-off-able government departments. I have come to the conclusion that the government in Canada anyway, has lists of people they consider dangerous for whatever ridiculous reason and they are using the social insurance number system to make sure certain (many) people don't get hired. Call me paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not after me ;-) It doesn't help that they give my history to every ef'ing government department. It got so stupid, I published a book in 2006 to save them some trouble and name a few of them for the sake of posterity.

I think the government just wants to bring in more immigrants to upset the political balance even more so they can continue with the divide and conquer thing they have going on.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

You are right on the money my friend.

Business is only concerned with getting cheap labor. And they complain about things like fuel costs and all the rest but they will spend a million dollars on a lawn mower for their mansions, but want to pay someone minimum wage to ride it.

Let them come and then they will soon be the politicians and those politicians who let them in will be out of a job.

Isn't that what happens? Look at Bill Vanderzalm who immigrated to BC and then sold Vancouver to the Chinese mafia billionaires.

Look at the campaign posters. See a lot of Hindu, Sikh and Asian campaigners in the west? Damn right. The best way to protect their rights such as their right to wear a turban as a police officer is to merely take over the government by being elected.

They come here, eat rice and beans etc, pool their money and buy up all the houses then rent them out to you and import more relatives.

When the Chinese billionaires bought downtown Vancouver, lease space went through the roof. And if it sits empty they don't care. They are infinitely wealthy.

Yeah its a problem.

And it does make people mad.

edit on 11-4-2012 by Rocketman7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Meh, more skilled coloured immigrants from other continents means less refugees from European terrorism.

As a native person I'll say that even if we had enough immigration already the only people standing up for any sort of nationalism are those who want to protect the western set of values that have been holding us back.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Just make sure you know who in government is saying that, then take up a petition to have them impeached and everyone will sign it.

They will be gone for good disgraced as traitors to their country.
But you need to have their names and you need to get a petition started.

They would be gone in a couple months. But if you do not. Then say hello to your new overlords because its a dog eat dog world and they are competing like anyone else and they are more motivated being in a strange land.

They want to make it their home too.

Its not one people one planet. What sort of drugs are those people on?
Everyone has their own country and they are not anything close to one people or similar in any way.

We are a Christian nation and always have been until immigrants said we weren't.
Well now they are in, and now we are no longer a Christian nation, are we?

There are 2 billion Chinese and 1 billion people in India, 1 billion in Indonesia and 36 million poor stupid dumb as sh*t cannucks saying hey everybody! Come and take all our stuff duh uh duh.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
there goes the hood.........

and the middle class.....hello USA of Canada.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Rocketman7

They come here, eat rice and beans etc, pool their money and buy up all the houses then rent them out to you and import more relatives.

Yes, because they aren't stigmatized by living in a household of 20 people. They can all pay off a mortgage in two years and the collective can move to another one and pay that off and so on and so forth. The older ones in the family will be the first to move back into a payed off home when they are all done...

...if generational Canadians just remembered their roots and forgot about chasing the what they think leads to be in the in-crowds they would be in the same position. But most kids are just looking to "move out and be independent" while forgetting that all our ancestors (Save the Natives) came here and did similar to make something for their families.

In mine specifically, they all built houses for each other. It stopped with my Dad's generation who just wanted to party, and I've kept that stupid tradition instead.

Immigrants unfortunately have been outsmarting Canadians because Canadians forgot what it means to be an immigrant. So I don't really knock them.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
This is why Tim Hortons is bringing in foreign labor from countries like The Philippines. The foreign workers end up getting more hours than the Canadian residents. Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely nothing against immigrants. But why should they have priority?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Hi All,

First off let me say that I've seen quite a few of you here on ATS and respect you guys. For those who may not know, I'm a skilled immigrant from South Africa and celebrated my 5th 'birthday' in Canada last week. I also think some of you guys have missed the point here, and let me try clarify what I'm saying.

There is a HUGE difference between a skilled immigrant and somebody who comes here illegally. If you think it get's under your skin seeing people working for $3/hr etc etc, let me tell you, you have no idea how it feels for me. And let me state, it has nothing to do with race, etc. It has to do with my personal experience and all the hoops I had to jump through to get here.

It took 3 &1/2 years for my application to go through. It cost a LOT of money, plenty of paperwork, and I even had a 3hr interview in Pretoria. I had to backup all my claims, education etc, and PROVE that I am who I say, and that I can do what I claim. For God's sake, I had to prove that I'm proficient in English. Now, how do you think I feel when I see people here that can't speak a word of English or French?

It irks me because how is it that I had to go through all the hoops, and yet there are plenty who obviously didn't, but somehow they are here? Well, I've learnt not to worry about it anymore and focus on my life. Those people are not going to earn what a skilled worker can. Hell, if they are illegal they won't have healthcare etc. So it isn't all milk and honey for them.

So let's understand the difference between skilled workers / labour and those you speak of.... HUGE difference. Now, also think of the government as an employer. Are you going to pay someone to get skilled and then eventually hope for the payoff, or are you going to hire someone with that skill already - meaning it costs you nothing but you benefit immediately?? It's a no brainer people.

And speaking of this lack of jobs, I started a new job in January. I travel 70 kilometers one way each day to get there. No problem for me. If it takes that to move forward in life, I will do it. In February we were looking for a driver / packer. Simple job really. Load up a van with a bunch of boxes of fasteners and related products, deliver and unpack into the customers bins.

We hired 3 guys in the space of 3 weeks, all quit. 2 of them lasted 2 days, the other 3 days. I know for sure they were being offered between $14-$16/hr. And let's be honest, you don't need to have a master degree to do what they had to. All you needed was a driver's license, the ability to read and some common sense....right?? I'm pretty sure almost every Canadian has that.

Jobs are out there, but unfortunately people just don't want to get their hands dirty and put in a little hard. What a shame..... what a shame....

edit on 11-4-2012 by TortoiseKweek because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
the same probs with foreign workers in Rossoa

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
i mean Russia

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Well, this country was built on the backs of immigrants ... HOWEVER... my fellow Canadians are right. I am certainly very happy for you, TortoiseKweek but the fact is that if Canadians are already being treated as second-class citizens, where will this new policy lead us? Please don't think me stereotypical, but there are a number of employment issues in Ontario and "new" Canadians are getting preferential treatment based on subsidies the government is currently offering. Some people come here and open businesses and yes, they are more likely to employ their fellow countrymen than others, but this new policy will see an even greater influx of people. Where does that leave those who are already looking for work?
I know plenty of people who can't sleep at night because they have no idea how to feed their kids. I know even more people that are 1 paycheck away from losing everything they own. These people are out there every day almost begging for hire, taking lower wages, looking for employment outside their field.. all just to keep fed and sheltered! I know people who have gone through the second careers program.. what a financial nightmare. They promise a lot and then the story changes, but that's a rant for another time.

The point is, there is unemployed skilled labor in Canada.. lots of it! The assisted relocation of citizens is a good start to solve the problem... there would be even more skilled labor if tuition fees were lowered.

This to me is a bad idea all the way around.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Invariance

Well, this country was built on the backs of immigrants ...

No Canada was built on the backs of a genocide......That was still considered institutionally correct not so long ago...

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
we have a glowballist government
immigration keeps the peeps from unifying
just like was it was done ( i put it politely here ) to the abouriginals
just like they are doing to every country
so they are doing to us now
and will do to the children of today's immigrants tomorrow

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
This is bullcrap, we have so many of us tax paying citizens who are unemployed and they want to bring in outsiders???

My parents were immigrants at some point but when they came here, Canadian population was lower and it invited immigrants.

Im already tired of seeing "International students" like 35% of the whole class..... you know 60% of them are here to get permanent status and they will cheat in exams and tests in order to keep their grade at the required quota, other 40%, who should stay (the actual international student) but they study and go to US or Europe for work.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join