It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prison officer bashes inmate after being spat on

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

So Hep c is not dangerous??
If my teenage son gets sent to pison then I will tell him not to spit on an officer, but if he is going to prison does he actually listen to his father?
I feel for family member of inmates, The things they go thru just for a few hours visit. However, the little Johnny portrayed to Mom and Dad is a different Little Johnny once out of their sight. I have first hand experience of inmates talking that the only reason for going to visitation is for the beef jerkey out of the machine.
I have seen women come from all over the US and other countries to visit an inmate and we would have to turn his wife and kids away because they are only allowed one visitor per day. Most inmates play the love game and prey on women in letters. The number one magazine delivered in prison is Cosmo cause they want to know what women want to hear.
What I am saying is the public has no idea what prison is like, I can tell you officer brutallity is not rampant.
Most people in prison are there for a reason, how they act in the facility will dictate treatment. You my friend have no idea what actions this individual did prior to spitting. By your words you must have a loved one in prison, I am truly sorry for you. But if he is in for petty things then he would be in trustee camp or G1 areas. If not then he is not that innocent because G3-5 and J1-3 are idiots and want to kill officers on a daily basis.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
LOL! Knowing that he had Hep-C I would have beat him half way to neverland...

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gwampo
LOL! Knowing that he had Hep-C I would have beat him half way to neverland...

Isn't this a case of knowing is equal to not knowing?

Someone spits on you...they either have...or don't have Hep C...just so happens that you were told before you got spit on!

In the general public...if someone spits on you...shouldn't you just assume they might possibly have Hep...and then proceed with your barbaric beating (or whatever you decide to do)!

Of course though...if you arrest me for no reason...haul me off to jail for no reason...shouldn't I have some recourse too?

Just a thought for all you that have already found this guy guilty of something!
edit on 10-4-2012 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by questforevidence

Apparently, there is still a small chance Hepatitis C can be transmitted through saliva. The following links touch on the possibility of transmission through saliva:

1) Link 1

2) Link 2

3) Link 3

edit on 10/4/2012 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

For me, this is isn't about what he is or is not guilty of. It is simply because he spat in the guards face. Right or wrong, that particular action brings out the worst of reactions. Therefore the prisoner knew what he was doing.

Obviously, you cannot condone prison beatings and the like - that is abuse of power and the guard has to face the consequences. However, he should not be pilloried for his actions. I would be prepared to risk a wager on the guard in question reacting differently if he had been faced with violence instead of being spat at in the face.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by hanyak69

So Hep c is not dangerous??
If my teenage son gets sent to pison then I will tell him not to spit on an officer, but if he is going to prison does he actually listen to his father?
I feel for family member of inmates, The things they go thru just for a few hours visit. However, the little Johnny portrayed to Mom and Dad is a different Little Johnny once out of their sight. I have first hand experience of inmates talking that the only reason for going to visitation is for the beef jerkey out of the machine.
I have seen women come from all over the US and other countries to visit an inmate and we would have to turn his wife and kids away because they are only allowed one visitor per day. Most inmates play the love game and prey on women in letters. The number one magazine delivered in prison is Cosmo cause they want to know what women want to hear.
What I am saying is the public has no idea what prison is like, I can tell you officer brutallity is not rampant.
Most people in prison are there for a reason, how they act in the facility will dictate treatment. You my friend have no idea what actions this individual did prior to spitting. By your words you must have a loved one in prison, I am truly sorry for you. But if he is in for petty things then he would be in trustee camp or G1 areas. If not then he is not that innocent because G3-5 and J1-3 are idiots and want to kill officers on a daily basis.

I'm not sure how any of this means anything at all relevant to this issue.

I'm sure I am more familiar with the inside of a jail or prison than you are. I'm positive, in fact.

You also have no idea what actions were committed by the prisoner prior to the tape. Yet you say it's ok for him to get beaten..

This isn't prison, this is jail. This is a holding cell after an arrest - not a permanent home in a penitentary. This is a city or county jail. You can tell because the prisoner is still in his street clothes. He is being processed.

This is a processing cop, not even a legit prison guard. This is the "pogue" of the correctional officer trade. I spent a couple weeks in jail once for failure to appear on a traffic ticket... I'm familiar with what the inside of a jail is like, and what the people are like.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by questforevidence

The Officers do not know what any inmates has contracted. MSRA is the biggest concern. Ask any inmate they are all innocent. So many people want to believe that every inmate is innocent and harmless. In prison that gets you killed. I have been on the recieving end of an attack several times while being an officer. 1 Thing holds true You never know when, how, why, where it is coming from. All of that does not matter all that matters is survival.
I worked in the AD-SEG dept. were we dealt with the worst of the worst and were attacked regularly once or twice a month. Most of the time just so the inmate could gain rank in the system. If they attack an officer the move up in the higharchy. How you handle the first attack determines how many future attacks you are going to endure. It took 3 attacks for me to get an overuse of force case brought against me. It was dropped but only after an extensive investigation. Here is what happened: I start my shift and as I walk on the wing an offender is holding a bag outfront of his cell door, so I walk up and tell him to get his bag back into his cell. With a few choice words he says no. I said if you don't I will have to take the bag and he said "it ain't like there is a cell phone in it." So then I had to take it and search the bag. In it was a radio that he had that was someone elses, because he was showing disrespect I confiscated the radio and wrote him up for contraband. I get called out on rec for an hour and a half, while the inmate that the radio belonged to threatened him when they go out to rec, So, when I returned he wanted to talk about the radio and wanted me to forgive and forget. I told him no and that my job states that we are to do what I did and he knew the consequences for having someone elses radio.
He got a blank look on his face then charged the bars and hit me twice to the side of the head and tried to grab me and pull me into the bars, I leaned to the side bending to get away from the strikes when I saw something in his hand in a stabbing motion so I pulled my gas and sprayed him . He retreated to the back of his cell and from behind his matress was steadily chunking toilet water on me as I was trying to maintain eye contact with the inmate.
Because I gassed him I was reviewed for overuse of force. This is the enviroment that officer's work in on a daily basis.
I keep hearing about rape in prison. In prison we have zero tolerance for sex if anyone is caught we gas on site cause it is viewed as assault. So cell rape is a thing of the past.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

For me, this is isn't about what he is or is not guilty of. It is simply because he spat in the guards face. Right or wrong, that particular action brings out the worst of reactions. Therefore the prisoner knew what he was doing.

Obviously, you cannot condone prison beatings and the like - that is abuse of power and the guard has to face the consequences. However, he should not be pilloried for his actions. I would be prepared to risk a wager on the guard in question reacting differently if he had been faced with violence instead of being spat at in the face.

If I accept a job as a auto mechanic...I am going to expect to get oil on me before the end of the day!

If I go to work in a jail (where people spit on each other)..well then I might expect to be spit on (coincidently...officers are extensively trained in such matters...including how to respond)!

Jails are nasty...spitting, pissing, throwing excrement, etc...and jailers are trained in how to deal with such things...I doubt that beating the hell out of the offender was part of the training!

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Until you work over 5 yrs in a prison ....shut up!!!
You were in a holding cell for a week........WOW you are harden up.
You sayu you know more about it than me ,,,,,,I doubt it.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

No where did I say this guy deserved to get beaten I said there are 2 sides to the story. The officer's get investigated any time there is a use of force no matter how minor.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Until you work over 5 yrs in a prison ....shut up!!!
You were in a holding cell for a week........WOW you are harden up.
You sayu you know more about it than me ,,,,,,I doubt it.

I spent 13 years in Nevada's finest penitentiaries...so maybe telling people to shut up shouldn't be okay by anyone here Mr. CO if you please!

Thanks for keeping it civil!

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

No where did I say this guy deserved to get beaten I said there are 2 sides to the story. The officer's get investigated any time there is a use of force no matter how minor.

So you were a prison guard for 5 years?

Sorry, you didn't mention that, or I missed it..

I didn't say I was "hardened" I said based on what I knew I had seen more of the inside of the system than you have. Now I know you're a prison guard and that explains the bias.

The guard shouldn't have attacked the prisoner. He did, and he's going to pay for his horrible decisions. Good riddance.

If you ever beat up any prisoners during your 5 years of being a prison guard I hope you pay for it too. Sometimes violence is justified - in this case it was not.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

I agree when you goto worked in a prison you expect certain things to happen. When an automachanic gets a person that is irate with a bill and spits in his face what is he gonna do????
Certain things can be avoided and the person chose to spit thus accepting any and all consequences.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by hanyak69

any and all consequences.

Any and all consequences...you really were a prison guard!

Off to the hole...he now awaits the electric chair!

I can hear your key's jingling from here!

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
As much as I don't condone what the screw did, sure a smack I the
Mouth would have sufficed.

I say this, because I have been on the receiving end of a mouth full of blood spat on my face from someone who had been in a brawl and, he bragged he had hepC ad other nasties, I restrained him and whn the police and ambo's arrived it was confirmed, and te Ambo's wouldn't help me
Clean my self up, I had a lovely blood covered lump from that, and I can't explain to any of you what it feels like waiting 8 weeks for blood results to comeback, luckily I didn't ingest any of his blood and my face wasn't cut so I got the all clear. But not knowing how your meant to "exist" around your family anymore because a disease ridden fleabag spat his disease ridden blood on you, well, that's 8 weeks of torture I never want to endure ever again.

And I've had blood and spit spat at me loads of times, generally at my feet or on my jacket, its a part of the job that's not nice but I get paid to deal with it.

I could have went off the deep end and even killed the guy, instead I held my composure and he was arrested and got 7 years, if I had of belted him he would have walked for all his crimes and received an apology from the police commissioner and a victims of crime payout.

I didn't receive any "benefit" from his attack either, my Boss at the time paid for the medical bills but that's it, I went to court and told my story and was told "thanks" and that's it, I didn't want compensation or need it, but I was offered nothing. Unfortunately being a criminal does "pay".

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by hanyak69

An auto mechanic isn't tasked specifically with the care and welfare of prisoners who are known to act like this.

A prison guard works in a setting where this will happen frequently.

An auto mechanic has no reason to expect this behavior.

A prison guard should expect and be prepared to deal with this.

This prison guard is not suited for the job. He cannot handle the risks and dangers of the job without acting out physically. I think you should understand this better than anyone having been a prison guard yourself.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

I never had to beat an inmate ( the guards actions were not justified) most altercations last only a few seconds.
The first thing we were taught if you can walk away then walk away.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

I was getting my point across. Luckily you were in a softball prison...lol
Glad your out just don't go back.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

I never had to beat an inmate ( the guards actions were not justified) most altercations last only a few seconds.
The first thing we were taught if you can walk away then walk away.

And that's all I'm saying - this guard handled the situation poorly and should be expected to do so again in the future.

The prisoner was in the wrong too, but in the US we don't deal with crime by immediately beating the guy down - we have them arrested and file charges against them, and the courts decide the appropriate punishment.

This cop attempted to deliver instant justice - and while I could forgive your average citizen for this I cannot forgive a correctional officer who should have known better.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Yep it is off to solitary...lol
I am no longer a CO due to the politics of rank so I quit last August. Everyone talks of if the crap hits the fan. I will head straight for a prison and setup for the duration. You have protection, food, generators...etc....

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join