It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Great Easter Chocolate Conspiracy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   

The Great Easter Chocolate Conspiracy

Bare with me here..
Since I can remember I have always thought that most chocolate available around Easter tastes a little bit different to that available at other times of the years.

Specifically I am talking about Cadbury chocolates.

I buy chocolate quite regularly and have always been able to distinguish the taste between my regular block and the eggs available at Easter.

This year sometime around late January I realized my block of chocolate had the distinct taste of Easter eggs, something that I have never tasted in my block before.

Simply put I think that Cadbury have added an extra ingredient or two to get people more willing to buy at Easter.

Easter eggs are a multibillion dollar industry.

We buy so much chocolate at Easter that it would probably make more sense for chocolate companies to try and sell more at Easter rather than at other times of the year.

So could Cadbury (and possibly other companies) be adding an addictive substance to increase Easter profits?

I'm wondering if anyone else here has noticed that change in taste around Easter also?

ETA:
How silly, I forgot to say that the different chocolate around Easter to me is of better taste and quality, more moreish and less filling.

edit on 9-4-2012 by IgnorantSpecies because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Many restaurant chains and packaged foods are filled with addictive substances, so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Why easter & not halloween? Why not all year long?

(PS... I'm not baring anything with you. What a suggestion!)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnorantSpecies

Well according to Cadbury Australia...

Shell Eggs

Making up a large portion of the market are Shell Eggs. These hollow eggs filled with chocolate assortments, including Cadbury Roses and Milk Tray boxed chocolates or the popular chocolate bars: Time Out, Twirl, Flake, Picnic, Crunchie or Cherry Ripe.

www.cadbury.com.au...

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schkeptick
Many restaurant chains and packaged foods are filled with addictive substances, so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Why easter & not halloween? Why not all year long?

(PS... I'm not baring anything with you. What a suggestion!)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I contend the opposite, that the easter eggs taste worse than regular chocolate so perhaps they are scrimping on the ingredients to maximise profits because people will buy eggs regardless. What is up with eggs on easter anyway haha was jesus a fan of chocolate?

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   

might i add that just before easter i read a report(cant remember where)
that chocolate is good for weight loss, me thinks not but they will tell
us anything to sell artery clogging foodstuff
edit on 9/4/2012 by maryhinge because: spell check

i have just asked the family if they think chocolate tastes better at
easter and they all said yes so again me thinks you are on to something

s+f
edit on 9/4/2012 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Finally a conspiracy worth discussing,

Dark chocolate of at least 70% cocoa is healthy, anything less does not have health benefits and milk chocolate no benefits at all. White chocolate is not truly chocolate but left over cocoa waste marketed as chocolate

Chocolate taste is heavily dependent on how its handled and how long it sits in shipping, temperature and humidity. If it sits less in shipping during Easter it will taste slightly different than sitting longer on shelves and shipping rest of the year. If you ever get chance visit any chocolate factory and see how it tastes coming off the line.

Eostre was the Saxon goddess of fertility and her celebrations occurred in Spring. Eggs were used in these celebrations going back thousand+ years, painted and also containing finger foods. in Europe around the late 19th century Chocolate was used as gifts in egg form to celebrate the Easter holiday.

chocolate is a health food and good for you in small daily amounts as long as it is 70% dark.

edit on 9-4-2012 by suntzewang because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Well according to Cadbury Australia...

Shell Eggs

Making up a large portion of the market are Shell Eggs. These hollow eggs filled with chocolate assortments, including Cadbury Roses and Milk Tray boxed chocolates or the popular chocolate bars: Time Out, Twirl, Flake, Picnic, Crunchie or Cherry Ripe.

www.cadbury.com.au...

Pretty sure that's just whatever chocolate egg you buy, it comes with a bar or two of that particular chocolate.

If you got a mars egg, it would have mars bars with it, or smaller individual pieces inside the egg.

It is just saying that when you break open the egg, it'll have those chocolates in it.

I think.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I dont think it is so much as a change in flavour, but a change in texture.
I love egg chocolate, and its best straight out of the fridge.
Due to being so much thinner than regular bars, it has that crisp, crunch that I enjoy from eggs.
I believe that not only the thickness, but temperature also make that difference.
Eating chocolate in the winter months, when a bar of chocolate is likely to be cooler, gives it a texture closer to that of egg chocolate, which could be giving you that "taste" of easter.
Just a thought

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
I really have no knowledge about chocolate production, but the main ingredient is organic. Which means there could be variation in quality depending on weather conditions during the growing season. Also, the time of harvest could also affect the final product. If fresh cocoa beans are available then the final candy will clearly be better. If the beans have been sitting in storage for a while then there will most likely be some degradation of the quality.

An good example that I am aware of is that there is a shortage of pecans. Due to drought conditions, the trees simply did not produce any fruit.

There is also a world wide shortage of cocoa. Here is a link.

*Warning link contains foul language and disturbing information

www.cracked.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ragsntatters
I contend the opposite, that the easter eggs taste worse than regular chocolate so perhaps they are scrimping on the ingredients to maximise profits because people will buy eggs regardless. What is up with eggs on easter anyway haha was jesus a fan of chocolate?

Guess its a matter of opinion, at least you realize there is a difference.

Easter eggs have no bearing in Christianity, I think its pagan.
Even the christian idea of easter is based on pagan ones

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by djyorkie
I dont think it is so much as a change in flavour, but a change in texture.
I love egg chocolate, and its best straight out of the fridge.
Due to being so much thinner than regular bars, it has that crisp, crunch that I enjoy from eggs.
I believe that not only the thickness, but temperature also make that difference.
Eating chocolate in the winter months, when a bar of chocolate is likely to be cooler, gives it a texture closer to that of egg chocolate, which could be giving you that "taste" of easter.
Just a thought

You may have a point.
But I have tasted the difference in blocks, it was an instant realization because its a taste I know so well.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by maryhinge

might i add that just before easter i read a report(cant remember where)
that chocolate is good for weight loss, me thinks not but they will tell
us anything to sell artery clogging foodstuff
edit on 9/4/2012 by maryhinge because: spell check

i have just asked the family if they think chocolate tastes better at
easter and they all said yes so again me thinks you are on to something

s+f
edit on 9/4/2012 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)
Thanks for your response.

Yeah very misleading report.
Its point would have to have been that some ingredients are good, forgetting to mention the tonnes of sugar, salt and so on which would far outway any good benefit.

Thanks for doing that, I was hoping people wouldn't say they don't notice a change.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Well, to follow up my theory, try eating buttons, or the thin kiddie bars in late summer, just out of the fridge.
They are thin chocolate which give the same thin texture as egg chocolate.
You will find they are pretty much the same, and the time of year being the furthest you can get from easter.
An experiment to look forward to lol

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
arent the Cream Eggs loaded with high fructose and a permissible trace of MERCURY?

nuf said

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture
arent the Cream Eggs loaded with high fructose and a permissible trace of MERCURY?

nuf said
Do you have a link to back this up?

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by djyorkie
Well, to follow up my theory, try eating buttons, or the thin kiddie bars in late summer, just out of the fridge.
They are thin chocolate which give the same thin texture as egg chocolate.
You will find they are pretty much the same, and the time of year being the furthest you can get from easter.
An experiment to look forward to lol

I get what you mean but it doesn't explain why I was tasting it in my thick block of chocolate..
Perhaps it could be a different method of production?

They need different techniques to create thin eggs and its cheaper to just make the blocks like that as well around Easter.
It would make sense because I imagine they would have started making eggs around the time I first tasted it in a block.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
The cadbury cream eggs (long with other bars of chocolate) are getting smaller and at the same time more expensive. The same thing can be said about alot of products in general - there is some tweaking in the various weights products that are available and their cost.

I cant say I have noticed a difference in taste at easter compared with other times in the year. There is a difference between the brands and producers of chocolate. Som taste better than others. the cheaper ones to me taste more sugary and I dont like them.

The best is dark chocolate, the stonger the better if you can tolorate the bitterness, but this can easily be sweetened up. We like to melt dark chocolate and dip/drizzle strawberries, blueberries and bananas etc. At halloween a particular favourite is to pour melted dark chocolate into drained/dried tinned lychees and refridgerate. The contrast between the soft wet lychee and the hard chocolate is delicious. We call them chololate eyeballs!

I would agree that there might be lots of factors if there is a difference and I wouldnt be surprised if they are scrimping on ingrediants to reduce production cost and increase profit. Maybe the taste is better due to less of the other artificial stuff like preservatives as they do not need to prolong the shelf life of easter eggs.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
If you pop one of those eggs or anything like them besides fair trade chocolate in your mouth you are either:

A) Ignorant of your true self

B) Have a deep motivation to cause harm to your body

or

C) Don't want to face the true reality of things/foods on this planet at the moment.

that stuff is pure poison to your body.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I haven't noticed anything different in Easter candy but there is a different Pepsi and Coke formula made this time of year.

Did you know that for Coke and Pepsi to be kosher for Passover they use real old fashioned cane sugar instead of high frutose corn syrup? It has to do with legumes not being allowed to be consumed during Passover.

You can tell what formula has the cane sugar by the bottle cap being yellow instead of the normal white.

I don't know if this is only sold in certain areas of the country (world?) or only in locations with high concentrations of jewish consumers?

consumerist.com...

The Jewish holiday of Passover is coming up, which means that Coca-Cola and Pepsi put out special versions of their signature beverages that contain regular old sugar and not high fructose corn syrup.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join