It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

government hacking game systems, and built in cameras almost here

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Gamers may want to be careful about what they say when jumping onto their consoles for an innocent bout of slaying dragons or killing zombies -- the government will be watching.

www.dailytech.com...

are government probably has been spying on us all along and Xbox kinect is a great tool for them. right know you can watch TV play games with kinect camera and microphone. always on just talk to it and find what you want on Netflix all the wile the camera is on you can here what you say. i hardly use my kinect for this reason so I unplug it. only my kids use it.

what really bothers me is the Ne Xbox to be coming out! kinect built in always on and cant play anygames unless you are on line. and with Xbox live getting more and more cable companys runing threw the Xbox and hulu Netflix HBO just to start. its scary camera and mike always on as you sit infront of your TV.

www.vg247.com...

Xbox 720 will require an always-on internet connection as an anti-piracy measure.

We’ve also been told that the next generation of Kinect will be built into the device as standard

put the to links together and scary! hope to here some thoughts pros cons ore if this will stop you from getting one ore using one.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
The issue has been brought up before regarding the upcoming Xbox and I'll say here what I said there: If this really is the case, that MS will be building the Kinect inside the Xbox, then I'm going to say "no thank you". Granted, you could just tape over the cameras, but that won't send the message to MS like NOT buying their consoles.

I've had four (4!) Xbox 360's. They all either ruined my expensive games or went RRoD on me. I'm on my LAST 360 now and won't be buying anything else from MS in the future. Thankfully, both my NES and SNES works great. Anyone up for a co-op game of Dixie Kong Double Trouble? I can't get past that one octopus. -_-

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
A lot of people would think that this wouldn't be such a bad thing because its just gaming and what information could they get from you while your gaming?

I've been thinking about this and I think they could use this to draft really good and enthusiastic BF and COD players into the real Army, they could even draft Ace Combat players as drone controllers.

It might sound crazy but why wouldn't they? They already use many of those games for subliminal army recruitment, so why not take it a step further?

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Fishticon84

thare starting already

kotaku.com...

British Government Agency To Run Xbox Live Recruitment Ads
This morning, British publication The Guardian reports that Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ) is going run ads in Xbox Live "including Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed, to attract quick-thinking 18- to 34-year-olds to its ranks

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I have always been a little uneasy about all the cameras and microphones we set up in our homes and then just connect them to the internet. I hate lap tops since they all come with built in cams. I hate the xbox kinect and all that crap since it is really a dangerous concept. Oh, let me set up multiple cameras and microphones in my house and then expect them to only be used when I turn them on.

I only use PC's with a camera I can pull a blind over and microphones that I can physically shut off. I don't even say the government will use it against me, I think anything is possible and some one might learn how to collect information on us against our will. The whole "I have nothing to hide" argument is lame. We all do and even if we didn't, why would you do that. Internet ready cameras and microphones everywhere, OK. Would you like that concept even 10 years ago? No. Why is it OK now?

I say shut off your modem when not using it. I used to unplug my phone line from my PC back in the day just in case. Am I paranoid? Maybe, but I sleep better knowing I try to have privacy. If we allow that sort of thing it will create the abuse of it. It it too tempting to just leave alone.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
What about the cameras and mics on your laptops and desk tops? these have been around for decades.

What about the mics and cameras on your smart phones?

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

I don't like smart phones. You can't remove the battery and they all have built in GPS. That sucks IMO. I like things I can turn off off. I hate things that stay kinda on even though I don't want them too. I don't know. They give me the creeps. I use phones to call people, not everything else we use them for now a days.

Oh, and I know people that used to hack into PC's and use the web cam without the person knowing. It freaked me out.
edit on 7-4-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by BIHOTZ
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

I don't like smart phones. You can't remove the battery and they all have built in GPS. That sucks IMO. I like things I can turn off off. I hate things that stay kinda on even though I don't want them too. I don't know. They give me the creeps. I use phones to call people, not everything else we use them for now a days.

Oh, and I know people that used to hack into PC's and use the web cam without the person knowing. It freaked me out.
edit on 7-4-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

samsung galaxy s2 has a removable battery. Iphones and a few other phones have build in batteries. But i dont use them.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
The more technology that people have like this the more the assorted governments and security agencies will exploit and abuse it to keep an even tighter control on what you can or can't do. Give it 20 years and the security forces may come knocking on your door asking why you don't have one of these or why you have taped over the mic and camera's? It's coming my friends, big brother and the surveillance state is here to stay...

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Fishticon84

If that's all they'd be using it for, I wouldn't be too worried. But think about this, your gaming system sits square center in your living room/bedroom. Think of all those conversations you've had with your buddies, those conversations you are glad no one but your friends heard. Well, with the new Xbox, Big Brother (I don't like using that term, but it fits) also has the ability to hear you.

That's what worries me, not that it'll be used to recruit me into the armed forces. (Plus, I've already done my time.)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I found a camera in my DVR.

And no that's not the IR receiver, there are 2 of those visible on the extreme left/right of the glass in the last 3mm. The Camera is under the word "Messages" in this video. And it still works with a piece of tape over it.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by reitze

I'm sorry, but that doesn't look like a camera and in fact, looks like an IR receiver. Sometimes, devices will have more then one IR receiver. I'd suggest opening that box and take pictures of the insides and post them. Make sure they're high resolution and steady images. (And as long as you're careful, no one will ever know that you voided the warranty!
)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Auricom
reply to post by reitze

I'm sorry, but that doesn't look like a camera and in fact, looks like an IR receiver. Sometimes, devices will have more then one IR receiver. I'd suggest opening that box and take pictures of the insides and post them. Make sure they're high resolution and steady images. (And as long as you're careful, no one will ever know that you voided the warranty!
)

That box has 2 IR receivers, one each on the extreme left and right side of that glass. And covering them makes the remote stop working.

The device I focused on (under the word "messages") IS a camera and it IS covered and the box works fine. And no, its not an LED for "messages" either. That LED is to the right of the camera and clearly visible. Its directly above the green LED that's not labeled but seems to be a power-on indicator. The Messages LED lights up when the box gets reset.

But hay go ahead and dance for the spooks naked in front of your TV box. Someday there's gonna be a "nude bomb".

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
now tvs also, remote's mic always buy your side so thay can really here what you are talking about.

reviews.cnet.com...

hope all tvs dont go this way!

top topics

join