It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guns: The rest of the story

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I see so many negative threads here on guns and gun owners recently so I decided to put this short list together. School shootings, robberies, and other gun violence are always covered and instantly give those in the 'anti gun' crowd more room to say " i told you so. "

Imagine this: Someone is in your home, you have no idea what they are there for, could be robbery, could be murder, could be rape. Now imagine there are children in the house, wouldn't that make this a little more real..are you going to call the police and tell the intruder to hold on while the cops are the on the way and please leave you and your children alone? Imagine in your bedroom you are helpless next to your significant other while the intruders enter, do you call the police and hope they make it in time, before you are subdued and your wife or significant other is raped and or possibly killed?

Below is a short list of stories that are overlooked that involve gun owners actually stopping more violence from happening.

Investigators told 11 News that the female homeowner saw the man as she came out of a bedroom, and she fired her handgun at him. "The burglar also fired several rounds. The suspect was struck by the homeowner," said Baltimore County police spokesman Lt. Rob McCullough.

Police: Intruder Shot By Homeowner Dies

Detroit police: Woman, 38, fatally shoots teen intruder

87-year-old homeowner shoots Baldwin Hills burglar

Homeowner Shoots Burglar During Home Invasion: Police

Father shoots two in home invasion attempt

The shooting took place about 9 a.m. Thursday, when a woman and two men he didn't know burst into his apartment in Hermon, Daniel Williams said. One man came at him with a knife and cut him on the abdomen, he said.

Maine man describes home invasion shooting

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by SGTSECRET

Guns don't kill people, but they sure help.

It's really sad that people need to lock their houses, let alone buy guns in order to protect themselves, we should be seriously ashamed of ourselves that we have even reached such a violent point.

But in regards to self defence using a gun, it's really sickening the amount of people who defend themselves with guns and actually get prosecuted for it.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by BeforeTheHangmansNoose

We haven't 'reached a violent point.' It's not as if murder and violence just started, it's been around forever. People have always had to protect themselves or others throughout history. There are good people and there are bad people, that will never change. If the bad people are the only ones with weapons, where does that leave the good respectable people?

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Flame away, I don't care. I know most people who are not from the states agree with me.

You say its o.k to take a persons life for entering your home and maybe stealing something from you. I find it amazing that people would take a life for such an action. Don't get me wrong, I'd grab a bat and go to work on that person, but shooting them and taking their life is worse evil than the robbery, self defense or not.

And before the crowd of "what so take our guns and let the police/tptb have them" ...No, take all guns from everybody and only people in enforcement who go through training could posses weapons. Special units like Firing Squad only,SWAT etc.

The easy access American have to weaponry is one of the reason why you have the fourth biggest murders with firearms in the whole world. The countries in front of you are under devolved countries like Columbia, South Africa and Thailand.

Taking away the guns from American police may actually curb your well known power trip that they have with authority. It will eliminate the amount of lives lost through bad judgment and the unwillingness not to use any other direction of force other than a weapon.

On a side note: Guns are legal in Switzerland and that country is just doing fine. Maybe its the way American youth are conditioned as well as many other factors that adds to the high crime rates, murders and mass murders we see allot over in America.

edit on 7-4-2012 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

the problem with that is, you cannot take the guns from EVERYBODY. really is impossible, the law abiding people would turn them in, the ones already breaking laws would keep them. we already tried this here in the states when alcohol was outlawed. guess who was supplying the alcohol still? the criminals. it is impossible to go into every home, garage, shack, backyard, and vehicle somehow picking up every firearm.

EDIT: SOOO jealous of that guy in the picture...
edit on 7-4-2012 by SGTSECRET because: saw the photo

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Finally someone who understand.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
The thing is, most of those who want to ban guns, never have anything nasty happen to them, politicians, media nerds, holier than though types, obviasly the police, so its those with the power over the rest of us who will suffer, when enough politicians get shot and ask to carry guns, things might change (big might).

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by SGTSECRET
reply to post by n00bUK

the problem with that is, you cannot take the guns from EVERYBODY. really is impossible, the law abiding people would turn them in, the ones already breaking laws would keep them. we already tried this here in the states when alcohol was outlawed. guess who was supplying the alcohol still? the criminals. it is impossible to go into every home, garage, shack, backyard, and vehicle somehow picking up every firearm.

EDIT: SOOO jealous of that guy in the picture...
edit on 7-4-2012 by SGTSECRET because: saw the photo

Fully agree with you buddy. I cant bring any solution to the table. my post was a fairy tale land post, not realistic - I kind of focused around an "imagine if" kind of direction. In all realness, what you posted as a reply would be the problem, making the problem much worse as the people who committed the crimes in the first place, still have them.

The problem America is facing and has faced is the sub cultures that are created through entertainment and media. A big handful of youths dreams are taken away and put into been a gangsta. The thought of fast money and the loss of real progression in life is a big reason your crime rates are what they are, as well as my countries, England. As well as many other factors as no jobs and no chance of achieving anything "real" (Real in a sense of what media show you, fast cars, million etc)
edit on 7-4-2012 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by pikestaff
The thing is, most of those who want to ban guns, never have anything nasty happen to them, politicians, media nerds, holier than though types, obviasly the police, so its those with the power over the rest of us who will suffer, when enough politicians get shot and ask to carry guns, things might change (big might).

I wish that is what would happen, but when politicians get shot they don't ask to carry guns, they ask for more ridiculous gun laws.

I just thought of this and it makes sense in my mind....so ive heard that nations having nuclear weapons is more like a deterrent than anything offensive, the same can be said about law abiding gun owners, are you more likely to be robbed if you do not have a gun, yep. The gun is a deterrent

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Flame away, I don't care. I know most people who are not from the states agree with me. You say its o.k to take a persons life for entering your home and maybe stealing something from you. I find it amazing that people would take a life for such an action. Don't get me wrong, I'd grab a bat and go to work on that person, but shooting them and taking their life is worse evil than the robbery, self defense or not. And before the crowd of "what so take our guns and let the police/tptb have them" ...No, take all guns from everybody and only people in enforcement who go through training could posses weapons. Special units like Firing Squad only,SWAT etc. The easy access American have to weaponry is one of the reason why you have the fourth biggest murders with firearms in the whole world. The countries in front of you are under devolved countries like Columbia, South Africa and Thailand. Taking away the guns from American police may actually curb your well known power trip that they have with authority. It will eliminate the amount of lives lost through bad judgment and the unwillingness not to use any other direction of force other than a weapon. On a side note: Guns are legal in Switzerland and that country is just doing fine. Maybe its the way American youth are conditioned as well as many other factors that adds to the high crime rates, murders and mass murders we see allot over in America.

So you don't believe hitting someone with a baseball bat can't kill them?

When the adreneline gets pumping you have just as good a chance of killing that intruder with a bat as you do with a gun.

edit on 7-4-2012 by SecretWeapon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I would rather live in a country that has an armed population.

For some reason I think criminals think twice before committing crimes when they could get a .45 to the skull.

edit on 7-4-2012 by Zaanny because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SecretWeapon

I see what you are getting at, the bat or anything similar is also dangerous, just takes alot more work to get the same result. In my opinion...someone is in a house that does not belong to them, endangering a family, whatever happens to them is their own fault, it is not the home owners fault that someone is snooping around IN their house.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I'm older than most here and I will tell you one thing as fact. When I was a kid we did not lock our homes. We didn't have the need to lock our cars and often left the keys in the ignition. I didn't grow up in some rural area either. I grew up in the suburbs in the northeast. Sure, there have always been bad people but the incidence of home invasions, carjackings, thrill-kills, and the like were some few and far between that we had no reason to fear them. That's all changed now. At some point the lines that existed when I was a kid, the ones that even a minority of 'bad' people dared cross were erased. The 'bad' people seem to have placed a very low value on life.

If someone came on my property to steal something would I shoot them? Of course not. But if they broke into my home I would most certainly put them down. How am I supposed to know their intent when they enter my home? Rob, rape, kill? There won't be time to have that discussion now would there? Unlawfully entering someone's home is a huge breach. Anyone who does that, in my opinion, gives up all rights. In areas where there is a high rate of gun ownership there tends to be a very low incidence of home invasions and other confrontational crimes. The perpetrator is playing the odds. Will I get away with the crime? Is the victim armed? This one is.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   

We haven't 'reached a violent point.' It's not as if murder and violence just started, it's been around forever. People have always had to protect themselves or others throughout history. There are good people and there are bad people, that will never change. If the bad people are the only ones with weapons, where does that leave the good respectable people?

I say 'violent point' because in the big scheme of things, the existence of humanity's birth, up until the potential to live forever, this barbaric stage will seem like only a phase. With intelligence and consciousness comes empathy and with empathy comes peace.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Humans will always be humans. What you think will happen with humanity is very very far away if at all. Even if we get to a point where we can live forever,(Barring someone killing you in a unatural way)there will still be murders. Humans will always revert to their base nature in stressful situations. I wish they would come up with the ability for people to transplant their brain and spine into cyborg bodies one day. I think id like a body that could lift a car or smash a head like a melon. Only if the body looked and felt human though. Humans will always use weapons as well and Guns are the easiest to wield.

edit on 7-4-2012 by yuppa because: forgot a sentence

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

I see so many negative threads here on guns and gun owners recently

Really? I haven't seen many. The ones that are negative about guns and gun owners receive mostly negative responses here, they don't see the light of day.

Someone is in your home, you have no idea what they are there for, could be robbery, could be murder, could be rape. Now imagine there are children in the house, wouldn't that make this a little more real..are you going to call the police and tell the intruder to hold on while the cops are

In situations like this I can fully understand where the need for a hand gun as defense is necessary. My real problem with gun 'rights' is when people abuse their purpose, like Zimmerman who thought himself to be justified in walking the streets with a loaded gun stopping any random person he was suspicious of. People who feel that guns give them authority to police other individuals beyond their own properties, to harass people they don't know, this is my problem.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Part of it - well a LARGE part of it a societal issue. Ok - yeah - this is going to be one of those "back in my day" posts...

But, as a kid, teen and young adult I can't think of a single home in my neighborhood that didn't have at least 1 gun. I can't think of a kid, teen or young adult that didn't have access to guns (and knives for that matter). Know how many shootings and stabbings we had say from the time I was 10 to 25 in my neighborhood? Zero.

Know how many fistfights and disagreements there were? Countless, I can't even begin to tell you. Kids were being rough redneck kids and having at least 1 scuffle a week.

What's the difference. It just wasn't OK to pop a cap at someone or stick a knife in them if they disrespected you.

Oh - we had very, very little in the way of robberies, and other types of crime. Most people never locked their doors. Yes, part of that was societal and the other part was it was pretty well known that entering someone's home with intent to rob or hurt them was one of the situations when the perpetrator was very likely to get shot.

So was there little crime and shootings because society was different or because everyone had guns or both?

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Another example of more 'get rid of the guns' bs. Still wondering how people even think this is a solution, not only that but how can people think it is even possible to achieve? Wake up, the guns are not the problem

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join