It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians NAILED to crosses in gruesome Good Friday re-enactment of Jesus

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Christians NAILED to crosses in gruesome Good Friday re-enactment of Jesus

www.dailym ail.co.uk

Three Filipinos are nailed to crosses in a Good Friday crucifixion in Barangay Cutud, San Fernando. The event attracted a crowd of around 10,000 people

'This is not just for fun or for money. This is a calling,' he told Filipino website Tempo.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 6-4-2012 by MrRamblinRose because: Added picture

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Stumbled upon this earlier today and thought it was a bit out of the ordinary as far as celebrating Christ goes. Apparently this is a tradition in the Phillipines, They have things to stand on so they don't die, but they actually do get nails through the hands and are crucified. I find it a bit extreme but still a very unique way to celebrate Good Friday

Just thought i'd share

Happy Good Friday and Easter everyone!

Ramble On ATS.

www.dailym ail.co.uk
edit on 6-4-2012 by MrRamblinRose because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Just a flesh wound.

Least we can do for our Lord Jesus Christ.
edit on 6-4-2012 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I keep hearing Bill Hicks say, "do you think Jesus really ever wants to see a cross again!?"

ETA: No disrespect meant for Jesus, just a knee-jerk reaction.
Happy Good Friday and Easter wknd to everyone, and thank you Jesus for your sacrifice.

edit on 6-4-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Well, I can't say I understand the level of devotion to their Faith which makes this a worthy thing for them to do to themselves. However, I don't have to, do I? I absolutely DO respect their level of Faith and belief that they would do such a thing in the name of it.

If that doesn't show total commitment, nothing does. I honestly can't think of a cause I'd lay down on a cross and get hammered to it for...even knowing I wouldn't be experiencing the full terminal event.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I watched an episode on this a couple years ago about a tribe (not sure if it's the same one) that does this every year on Good Friday.

It said what their failing to realize is the Bible states it's strongly against it.

link   
This is just ridiculous.

What the crap is wrong with these people? Hey every one has the right to believe what they want.

But what do you hope to accomplish by nailing your self to a cross? Most people, I would imagine are going to think the same thing I did when I saw this, "Freakin Idiots".

I believe this display shows these individuals to be a danger to themselves and others. Nobody wins when you engage in fanaticism.

Hopefully these people don't have children.

link   
These people obviously have a strong devotion to their faith. To actually crucify yourself, to understand what Jesus suffered....well, its not for everyone.

Happy Easter to All, ATS!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
This has been done for years.

I believe that is is done in certain parts of Mexico also.
This one has been done for 160 years. This particular one doesn't use nails, but the actor is lashed with whips and bleeds from the crown of thorns. I have read about some in Mexico that use nails.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Wow another sign of the twisted mental state religion puts people in. Don't get me wrong I know plenty of respectable people of christian, muslim, buddhist, etc faiths but some people take it way to far. I think its sick that someone would do something like this to show off how much more religious they are than others.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
It is thought among certain native peoples that severe physical pain makes one stronger and is also a religious experience, like the Native Americans who put hooks through their pectoral muscles and would hang like hunks of meat.

I mean, I wouldn't do it, but if they choose to celebrate their faith by re-enacting an ancient murder, then more power to them.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin
Wow another sign of the twisted mental state religion puts people in. Don't get me wrong I know plenty of respectable people of christian, muslim, buddhist, etc faiths but some people take it way to far. I think its sick that someone would do something like this to show off how much more religious they are than others.

I really don't think the people who do this are trying to show off. I believe they are seeking and experiencing a genuine religious experience.

This is not new to Christianity. In the middle ages, there was a sect who used self-flagellation as a means of atonement and as a way to draw closer to God. For example, some of the members would use leather whips or scourges (one type of whip was known as "The Discipline") and beat their own backs bloody. Another popular method was to wear a hair shirt. These shirts, usually made from horse hair or similarly abrasive materials, would irritate the skin to the point that it caused boils and sores.

A couple of famous folks who practiced self-flagellation: Catherine of Aragon and Thomas Moore. Catherine, daughter of King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella and wife of King Henry VII, was known to be extremely pious and to constantly wear hair shirts under her clothing. Thomas Moore, who wrote "Utopia," was also known to be devout. He supposedly used both "The Discipline" and the hair shirt.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MrRamblinRose

Nothing new OP, Christians have been doing this since the 2nd century to commemorate Christ's crucifixion. They do it a day late, but have been doing it nonetheless. I saw a person on the cross when I was taking my mom to work tonight, snapped a pic on my Droid.

edit on 6-4-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
I really don't think the people who do this are trying to show off. I believe they are seeking and experiencing a genuine religious experience.

I agree with you. I'm looking at the story and these guys and one image comes to mind whether I like it or not. It's of self immolation as has been seen by the Bhuddist Monks. I don't think this has much if anything to do with being the object of attention or the center of the "show". The process here looks FAR too rough and painful for vanity to explain the motivation.

There are actually times I envy people like this. Oh..they aren't often..and it's a short time when it comes.
The envy is what it must be like to believe in something positive in their lives with SUCH total focus and Faith that THIS is something they're willing to endure in it's name.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrRamblinRose

Stumbled upon this earlier today and thought it was a bit out of the ordinary as far as celebrating Christ goes. Apparently this is a tradition in the Phillipines, They have things to stand on so they don't die, but they actually do get nails through the hands and are crucified. I find it a bit extreme but still a very unique way to celebrate Good Friday

Just thought i'd share

Happy Good Friday and Easter everyone!

Ramble On ATS.

www.dailym ail.co.uk

Well, it's symbolic. They don't go through a scourging with a cat and nine tails first, beaten with reeds, have a crown on thorns placed on their heads, don't have their shoulder joints pulled out of place to stretch the arms, and the standing stool is tall enough that they don't slump in the inhale position which would force them to lift themselves up and down on the foot nails to exhale and grab another breath. The stool to stand on is also perpendicular to the stake instead of a 45 degree angle so the foot nails don't rip through their metatarsal soft tissue, and neither is their beard pulled out.

But other than that it's basically the same.

edit on 6-4-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
Just a flesh wound.

Least we can do for our Lord Jesus Christ.

Yep, if that's what they wish to do in honor of Him, more power to them. Even if people are mocking it, people still think of Christ on the cross.

Win/win situation.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
I keep hearing Bill Hicks say, "do you think Jesus really ever wants to see a cross again!?"

Do you think Peyton Manning likes looking at the Colts SuperBowl trophy or his SuperBowl ring?

I'd think so.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
This isnt new. They have been doing this for 100 years. Every year.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Well, I can't say I understand the level of devotion to their Faith which makes this a worthy thing for them to do to themselves. However, I don't have to, do I? I absolutely DO respect their level of Faith and belief that they would do such a thing in the name of it.

It's not about them doing it for their glory, but for His.

If that doesn't show total commitment, nothing does. I honestly can't think of a cause I'd lay down on a cross and get hammered to it for...even knowing I wouldn't be experiencing the full terminal event.

It's severe, I agree there, that's a noble undertaking. I don't know if I could do it for fun. Props to them.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

I could argue that point, but arguing about this is not my intention friend, I was just expressing my initial thoughts, and thought it was a moment of fitting satire. Jesus is quite alright with me

top topics

<<   2 >>

join