It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona Passes Sweeping Law Criminalizing Internet Speech

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

Arizona has a massive illegal immigraration problem, being close to the border.

I don't know if that's the reason but it was the first thing I thought of when I read your post.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by SM2
What do they think the first amendment is protecting? Speech that is only polite and courteous? If it was polite and courteous it would need protection. When will these a@$hats in government learn to stop infringing on rights? If you find something that someone says is offensive, or they are harassing you online, it is very easy to turn off or block that individual. These laws are really getting out of hand and people need to stop being to damn thin skinned. What happen to America? Are we just a nation of weak, thin skinned sissies that we cant take a little insulting? Grow up America, we do not need coddling, grow a set already. This politically correct crap makes about as much sense as a football bat and all the little weenies that subscribe to it need to put down the granola, walk away from the drum circle and grow a pair.

People are more concerned with using their "offended-ness" to extract various forms of special status from society than they are with actually making things happen on their own. The cult of victimhood, fueled by a twisted and maschocistic form of guilt, is the new religion of the western world.
edit on 4/6/2012 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Don't worry too much. The cost of funding the bill will end up being too high and it will go by the way side. Just imagine how many people they would have to employ to sort out all of the complaints from whiny children and parents.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Give yourselves an ole pat on the back. This shows that we are doing something right. Although I think the author of the article is going a bit overboard, this, if true shows that people in power are scared. If this is a ploy to censor, or shut down our voices, it may be a blessing in disguise. Maybe people will then choose to interact on a more personable level if they can't do it over a computer. Just a thought.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
It just struck me: Isn't ATS headquartered in Arizona? In Scottsdale, if I'm not mistaken.
If so, I wonder if this law would have a particular effect on ATS. I'm no lawyer but I wonder whether this wold be a factor.

Yes it is. It's not the main office but they do a lot of operations out of Scottsdale I'm sure. And that's what should be taken into consideration here. The main headquarters for any company isn't going to do as much as field offices like the one in Scottsdale does. The job descriptions that each take care of are going to vary, and a law such as this will be able to affect the field office operations more than the main office. If for any other reason it would be geographical.

Now, if ATS didn't have anything physical in the state of Arizona I couldn't see how this law could affect them, and I really hope Brewer see's this as well. I really don't see how law enforcement in this state has the resources in this state to keep an eye on everything that this law would dictate they keep an eye on. They want to rein in speech on the internet. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that short for "international network?"

The only way this makes even a little bit of sense to me is if Arpaio has a hand in this. His head is bigger than a hot air balloon so he's the only person I see who would think he has what it takes to enforce this law.

Maybe he thinks his "posse" will take care of business.

As for me, after I post this here I'm going to send it to Brewers office e-mail. This may be a state law but it could potentially affect everyone here, so might I suggest that everyone do the same with their thoughts.

azgovernor.gov...

Just don't use offensive language, you might end up getting Joe to fit you with pink underwear.
If you want your opinion to be taken seriously you have to speak to them on their level

By the way, this isn't a law until Brewer signs it.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnimositisominA
Give yourselves an ole pat on the back. This shows that we are doing something right. Although I think the author of the article is going a bit overboard, this, if true shows that people in power are scared. If this is a ploy to censor, or shut down our voices, it may be a blessing in disguise. Maybe people will then choose to interact on a more personable level if they can't do it over a computer. Just a thought.

And a very good one too.

That's a very good way of looking at it.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar
Why Arizona I wonder? What speech is comming out of Arizona that thy want to shut up?

Mine.

Actually, there are so many ways to hide your IP address a number of times at the SAME time, if anyone wants to know.....I'm in Morocco right now. Or is it Denver?

Wait a minute, I'm in Honolulu now.

Prove me wrong.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Well, here is AZ, there is alot to this state more than Sheriff Joe. Hes seen here as kind of a freak. Even by law abiding CITIZENS. Hes seen by illegals as Satan himself. Jan Brewer, on the other hand is seen as a Politician with balls, but I.M.O. she doesn't have the brains to back them balls up lol. Napolitano didnt have the brains and look at where she is at. If you are looking for a sign of Brewer selling out, this issue is what you should watch.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple

Why Arizona I wonder? What speech is comming out of Arizona that thy want to shut up?

Mine.

Actually, there are so many ways to hide your IP address a number of times at the SAME time, if anyone wants to know.....I'm in Morocco right now. Or is it Denver?

Prove me wrong.

Check my IP. Its AZ, as I'm sure that anyone else from AZ doesn't choose to conceal themselves. You wanna know why? We have the guns.

That was a joke by the way. A very unfunny joke.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Lord have mercy... Arizona does NOT make it easy to get a bill text! Took me a bit but I finally was able to find something that could tell us exactly what the bill says. Mind you, I did not find the version that was eventually passed but copies good enough to at least give us an idea of what exactly this is all about.

Documents for Arizona's HB2549

The LA Times also has an interesting article about this that can be read here: Trolling, A Criminal Offense in Arizona?

According to the article referenced above there is a group called The Media Coalition that is contact with the Governor's office to revise the wording to make it a bit more specific.

The Media Coalition, focused on 1st Amendment issues, has sent a memo to Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, saying the changes expand the the bill to cover more than was probably intended.

As the note points out, nothing in the bill explicitly states that the objectional communication must be directed at an individual, something that could be assumed when it focused on telephone communication.

The group goes on to say, "There is no requirement that the recipient or subject of the speech actually feel offended, annoyed or scared. It is unclear if the communication must be intended to offend or annoy a specific person or if a general intent to do so is sufficient."

Good find, SilentThunder. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This bears watching in all states.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Mine.

Prove me wrong.

Check my IP. Its AZ, as I'm sure that anyone else from AZ doesn't choose to conceal themselves. You wanna know why? We have the guns.

That was a joke by the way. A very unfunny joke.

In all seriousness, so am I. I like what you said about Brewer, she does have a pair and I also think that she does have the interest of the citizens in mind. She doesn't strike me as a stupid woman.

Why do you think she would sell out on this issue though? I think it would not be in her best interest politically to not sign the bill.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Well now that this is law in Arizona, I was going to make what I thought was an insightful comment but since someone on this board may be from Arizona and might be offended by my comments, about the only thing left to say legally is:

I think puppies can be really cute.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

I guess I just don't have much faith in politicians these days. As if I ever have. I could honestly see her signing it and going quiet for a while. I'd watch her on this issue because it is black and white. Does she side with the citizens, or does she drop the facade and go with the good ole boys? I don't have that answer.

Yet.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by metamagic

Well I don't so I think that statement is offensive. They're not cute.....they're expensive. Not only will I turn you in to the authorities, I'm going to sue you for the mental anguish you caused me by making me read that by posting it on the internet. Not only can law enforcement track you down to arrest you, my lawyer can track you down so I can sue you.

See the insanity this bill would cause?

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

I guess I just don't have much faith in politicians these days. As if I ever have. I could honestly see her signing it and going quiet for a while. I'd watch her on this issue because it is black and white. Does she side with the citizens, or does she drop the facade and go with the good ole boys? I don't have that answer.

Yet.

Neither do I, but not every politician is bad. Kathy Gifford was a good case in point as well. True, you have to wade through a pretty big garbage dump to find that one piece of silver, but it is there.

As far as the good ole boys are concerned, yeah, we'll just have to wait and see on that one. It's no secret that she doesn't like Arpaio and he is one of the "good ole boys", but he's not the only one.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by metamagic

Well I don't so I think that statement is offensive. They're not cute.....they're expensive. Not only will I turn you in to the authorities, I'm going to sue you for the mental anguish you caused me by making me read that by posting it on the internet. Not only can law enforcement track you down to arrest you, my lawyer can track you down so I can sue you.

See the insanity this bill would cause?

Well I find your being offended offensive to me. I find anyone who disagrees with me offensive. Gotta go call sheriff Joe now.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join