It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buck Nelson - 1st Man on Mars

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
reply to post by gortex

There's a saying I like - 'You can't polish s***.'

I think Buck Nelson defeated this by creating a niche for himself, leaving a footprint in history and making a few bucks off people who enjoyed his stories.

Not bad going.

Mythbusters disproved that saying. But apparently Buck disproved it even earlier.
Anyhow, it turns out, you actually can polish a turd quite nicely!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I was tempted to name the thread 'Buck Nelson - Hillbillies in Space' and went for a less flame-bait title. Glad I did now

reply to post by blupblup

Nice to see ya again.

Let's not be too quick to dismiss his claims. After all, nobody could come up with these ideas unless they'd seen them...

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Ah, it's cool. There are certainly some major hillbillies along the Missouri/Arkansas border. Just don't call them Rednecks or Boggy boys. Hillbillies belong to the Apalachian and Ozark Mountains, while Boggy Boys belong in the swamps of Florida, S. Alabama, and Louisianna, and Rednecks are all the Southern Pride country boys in between.

Ol' Buck was a 1st class Hillbilly, and I don't think he take any shame in that label.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
The name Bo is also the name of a giant man-dog in the game Breath of Fire, could be an influence!

Going to mars and venus sounds pretty far out, but his values seemed to be decent enough.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Let's not be too quick to dismiss his claims. After all, nobody could come up with these ideas unless they'd seen them...

Stop... ya Killin' me

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
That's a very enjoyable "early contactee" story. Makes you wonder if it was completely made up or if he based on on some sort of "real experience".

I'm wondering if anyone else remembers reading about a 1950s contactee who had a rather elaborate story of meeting very human-like aliens in the desert on several occasions? (southern California I think) I recall that he was a prospector and he used to get together with the aliens for wonderful sumptuous barbecues/picnics. This was a mixed group (both sexes, all properly and conservatively clothed). I think I read this on the Internet, but haven't been able to relocate.

I'm personally quite interested by some of these "contactees" who described alleged encounters with the "Nordic" blond "Ashtar" (or Astoreth). I know lots of people claim to "channel Ashtar", but I do think there were some contactees who claimed to have met the blond alien being in person.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

reply to post by getreadyalready

I was tempted to name the thread 'Buck Nelson - Hillbillies in Space' and went for a less flame-bait title. Glad I did now

reply to post by blupblup

Nice to see ya again.

That's quite funny. Who knew they had a 17 hour day on Venus. But are the hours made up of 85 minutes?

Its really too bad nobody every made a "Beverly Hillbillies on Venus" movie!!! Lots of potential for Jed shooting Venusian possums for Granny to cook up for dinner. etc.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

LOL. This thread made me laugh pretty good. Poor Buck.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Very well done post! And a pretty interesting story to boot; definitely gonna be telling some people about this guy.

Perhaps he was telling the truth and the aliens were simply playing an intergalactic prank.

"Hey Jim, remember that guy we accidentally hit with the healing beam? What if we invited him to a few bases and convinced everyone to dress up like him? That'd be hilarious, right?!"
"Oh yeah!! I can have the guys down in genetics engineer some giant dogs, I bet that'd blow his mind!"

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
1957. No cgi, no Photoshop, no internet, and hes still a liar.

If this was done for money..can anyone tell me how much he made?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by rabzdguy

"Money" is probably to specific of a term. Maybe he just did it to be the coolest guy at the local pub? Or maybe he did it so the kids would gather around and listen to his stories? Maybe he wanted free ice cream, so he told tall tales so the soda shop owner would keep him supplied with ice cream while the kids listened?

Maybe he is telling the truth? Maybe a UFO crashed in 1941, and then Roswell happened in 1947, and then Buck met the rescue crews in 1954 and became their friends?

I still say a great story beats a mundane fact on any day.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Sorry to have to inform you of this, but John Carter was the first earth man on Mars!!!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Oh, c'mon guys! Anyone can see this whole story is inaccurate reporting at its worse!

A 400 lb. dog is NOT a half ton!

Buck for President!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I love Buck!

We played games and made up crap like this when we were kids! His convention looks like our cubby-house galactic HQ!

Some kids never grow up, good on ya Buck!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Original posted by Kandinsky
...3 naked men and their half-ton dog

Understandable, that's always a nice way to ease the tension in otherwise awkward situations.
Very entertaining little gem you found there, true or not.
Thanks for posting.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
That was the funniest thing I heard all day thank you for that, and good commentary as well, funny stuff...

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Great story i wish they would come and take me for a space cruise that would be a dream come true.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Too illuminating. Gotta love the hick aliens. Wonder what the generation 50 years from now will think of the YouTube and ATS genre of alien CGI and abduction lore of today?

Sorry future...

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by rabzdguy

I've got a review of his 1958 convention that describes '2000' visitors...

In the OP, there's a flyer saying '50c admission and $1 donation.' That would make around $3000 at a time when average yearly wages were $4600.

He made a tidy sum but he could have done it for lots of reasons. In his book, he was making a strong political statement about average men being screwed by taxes. In some basic way, it was like he made up a world were things were better so that maybe people would ask for change.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   

he was also introduced to the enormous dog, ‘Bo,’ which shook his hand

huh? so the dog had hands and not paw

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join