It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: The Attitude Starts From the Top Down

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I'm posting this in the rant forum because this forum is the only logical place for this thread. However, don't add negative emotional context to what I type because of it being in the Rant forum. I type this calmly and with a clear mind.

When I say the attitude starts from the top down, I mean it comes from 2 main groups within ATS and trickles down to the bottom, usually becoming uglier the lower it goes. The 2 main groups are the "Staff", and the "Respected Top-Posters". I don't wish to over-generalize the people within these groups because not every person within these groups contribute to the problem, not even half.

When respected and recognized top posters on ATS make sarcastic short posts that add nothing to the discussion they are encouraging other members to do so. Factiousness alone isn't a big deal, it can be friendly and interject some welcomed humor into a thread, but what I see these people posting goes beyond factious, it's sarcastic, it's not well intentioned.. its purpose is to insult and demean someone. Not only is it rude and not conducive to civil discourse, it adds nothing to the discussion, or the supposed "denial of ignorance" that we are reminded of.

When the ATS members who respect the "top posters" give stars to these single sentence sarcastic posts, other members see that this behavior is acceptable.. and even commendable.. and that opens the flood gates for everyone to post in this manner, usually becoming even less tactful the lower it goes.

Now there are more people who want to post single-sentence insulting jokes to get stars and high-fives instead of adding to the discussion as a result. Next time you reply to a thread take a moment to think about what you are really accomplishing.

What's even more troubling is when the people who run ATS resort to immature insults. (I had intended to include multiple screen-shots of posts that are prime example of what I'm talking about, but I feel that this thread might be deleted for singling out a member/owner. This behavior is not isolated though, it is intentional and it is consistently repeated. How can people speak out for civil discourse in their community in one post and use immature insults that don't clarify or add to the discussion in another post. It is profoundly hypocritical and perpetuates an attitude of general negativity on ATS.

All of this attitude and negativity starts from the top and comes down, from those who run the website, down to the respected Top-Posters, to the regular members. It would be ideal to fix the situation from the top down, leading by example, but it's not likely to happen. I think we may have to fix this from the bottom up. I myself have even had instances where I posted negativity in the past, but I think we can all put more effort into making ATS an environment that is conducive to honest, open, respectful discussion starting with our own posts now.
edit on 4/4/2012 by Drezden because: sarcasm/facetious

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
You mixed up your words:

fa·ce·tious    [fuh-see-shuhs] Show IPA adjective 1. not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark. 2. amusing; humorous. 3. lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous: a facetious person.

dictionary.reference.com...

sarcasm [sahr-kaz-uhm]   Origin sar·casm    [sahr-kaz-uhm] Show IPA noun 1. harsh or bitter derision or irony. 2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

Otherwise, for the most part I agree. Although I rarely see staff insulting anyone.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
ATS is a discussion site, yes, but sarcasm is a way to make a point by taking something to its logical conclusion.

As for short, humorous posts. I say a joke is joke and while not exactly conductive to a discussion really does not take anything away either. Injecting humor into a conversation is really not a bad thing.

I say if you find yourself not liking a post or suspecting it to be in violation of T&C then Alert it. Let the mods decide if the content of the post is suitable for ATS.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme
You mixed up your words:

fa·ce·tious    [fuh-see-shuhs] Show IPA adjective 1. not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark. 2. amusing; humorous. 3. lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous: a facetious person.

sarcasm [sahr-kaz-uhm]   Origin sar·casm    [sahr-kaz-uhm] Show IPA noun 1. harsh or bitter derision or irony. 2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

Otherwise, for the most part I agree. Although I rarely see staff insulting anyone.

Thank you for pointing that out, I will edit my post so it reads correctly.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Something to realize is that despite what we do on ATS, this is still the cleanest, happiest, most respectful forum in the universe. Spend ten minutes on Godlike Productions if you don't believe me.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Figzer
Something to realize is that despite what we do on ATS, this is still the cleanest, happiest, most respectful forum in the universe. Spend ten minutes on Godlike Productions if you don't believe me.

ATS and GLP are not truly comparable because GLP is anonymous, any anonymous message board attracts trolls, or allows non-trolls to feel uninhibited, and post things they normally would not. I am on many other non-anonymous forums, and I rarely see the level of open negativity and disrespect that I find here on ATS. When it does occur on other forums it is not encouraged. Here on ATS it is.
edit on 4/4/2012 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
ATS is a discussion site, yes, but sarcasm is a way to make a point by taking something to its logical conclusion.

As for short, humorous posts. I say a joke is joke and while not exactly conductive to a discussion really does not take anything away either. Injecting humor into a conversation is really not a bad thing.

In my original post I say the exact same thing "injecting humor isn't bad" I also make a distinction between humor and ill-intentioned insults and demeaning. Re-read that paragraph and I think you'll find we are on the same page.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drezden

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

In my original post I say the exact same thing "injecting humor isn't bad" I also make a distinction between humor and ill-intentioned insults and demeaning. Re-read that paragraph and I think you'll find we are on the same page.

For some reason I thought you said something different. Sorry about that.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I thank you for this thread and I agree. I would say *bending over backwards* that much of what you and also I have noted is perhaps not intended to be received the way it is .

I myself in attempts at cuteness have created havoc and an occasion for myself to eat crow. I do. Disturbing someone unintentionally is still disturbing and taking responsibility matters.

You are right we need to be mindful of what we are saying beyond our words.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
OP is people like TsukiLunar who pollute and inject those type of poisonous confusion and insecurity into threads just like he did in here, as a result derailing the topic with negativity. Again, it helps to proof how OP is right.

I wonder if it's meant on purpose, I suppose the shill influence have already expanded too much and have conditioned the weak mind to emulate it's conduct...

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Also this post
www.abovetopsecret.com...
See if you’re not part of the solution you become the said problem
ATS was a 10 to me at first now it barley a 6 and going down fast .
Just my nickel worth
Remember we just stop using penny here

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I'm relatively new here, but agree with the OP. Snark is not helpful to the learning process and it seems easier to ignore a thread you have no interest in than repeatedly post nasty comments to it. We're all in a different stage of the learning process. It's also annoying to have someone jump on your post demanding you 'prove it' as if any proof of any issues we discuss here is even possible; that's kinda the nature of the beast. It's a discussion forum, not a jury trial.

I also have some quarrel with posters who use famous people's faces for their avatars. It seems pretentious at best, and possibly litigious at worse.
edit on 7-4-2012 by signalfire because: correcting imprecise language

new topics

top topics

join