It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Belgian Malinois: Perfect dog for when SHTF?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Assuming that you already own a rifle or a handgun, I think a Belgian Malinois would be the perfect dog to have around for when SHTF. It has a lot of physical characteristics similar to the German Shepherd but the Malinois is 10x more driven.they are very fast learners, and these dogs will not stop until their job is done or until you are satisfied.

They can also be used for personal defense but they are not as powerful as a rottweiler or the other dogs used for personal protection. In my opinion what makes these dogs the best dogs for a SHTF scenario is that they learn fast, and can do almost any job.

From personal defense/watch dog to a hunter.

The malinois is also the preferred dog for the military.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
That thing frightened me to be honest, but it's no danger if you own a knife...

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaMuslim

Knowing dogs, that is a stupid comment. Even if you have a knife and keep your wits about you to use it, a dog will savage you before it dies. A dog trained to attack will not let go until it is commanded to or literally drops you for itself being dead. It's not going to stop it if you stab it.

I've not given much thought to dog ownership for a SHTF scenario, I have a dog already and he'd be useless for anything really, apart from maybe hunting, though he'd want to eat it all himself i'm sure.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaMuslim

And you will not be a threat when the Malinois alerts me of a suspicious person and you're still some 100 feet away and I have a rifle or handgun or even a knife.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

I'm screwed if the SHTF....I've got 4 Pomeranians and a cat.......A lot of good they'll do.........

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

My GF likes poms, maybe others do too. You could open a petting zoo with entry being exchanged for food and water? :p

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   

haha I hear you, I have a chihuahua/jack russell mix but I hear small dogs are very territorial and will bark at almost anything...so actually small dogs might not be as useless in a SHTF scenario they make good watch dogs

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
To be honest, I would not want any dog when TSHTF.

It is an extra mouth to feed.

I have two great danes, and having them around in such a scenario will not be good.

vvv

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7

haha I hear you, I have a chihuahua/jack russell mix but I hear small dogs are very territorial and will bark at almost anything...so actually small dogs might not be as useless in a SHTF scenario they make good watch dogs

They do indeed bark at anything.....Believe me....I know! I literally have to walk outside to talk on the phone, because my ringtone makes them go crazy!

Good watchdogs perhaps.....but not good guard dogs, considering any decent sized individual could punt one like a football!

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Okandetre

My GF likes poms, maybe others do too. You could open a petting zoo with entry being exchanged for food and water? :p

I think you might be on to something!

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

nah I man I think if you have the right dog, it can be beneficial. If they are hungry enough they will go out and hunt and will go after mice/rats or even foxes.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

I was NOT impressed with this video! At 0:48, he swings the dog around and punches him!!

If you don't know how to properly train a dog, then don't work with them!

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I know a lot of government agencies love their malinois, but I'd stick with my shepherd.
Being a family dog just comes natural to them. All the cr@p he's put up with off the kids over the years and never got mad amazes me and without being trained he just naturally puts himself between the Mrs/kids and any stranger.
Can't imagine a better dog. He's a good ratter too.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
A big Dog will last longer when you need to eat it.
isnt it just another mouth to feed in a hard time when you cant feed yourself?

If i required a dog to help....obviously a hunting dog like a Springer or a decent dog for training like a german sheperd

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Given a near-end times situation, I'm all for having as many dogs for protection as you can possibly feed up until that time. Once that time comes, you allow them to feed of the piles of the dead you have created and then at the very end you can eat the dogs one by one. Just don't let the dogs get too hungry!

I really get tired of these over-the-top threads offering "solutions" to survival that are generated to gets posts, stars and flags and attention to other web sites.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jerisa
reply to post by muse7

I was NOT impressed with this video! At 0:48, he swings the dog around and punches him!!

If you don't know how to properly train a dog, then don't work with them!

actually he did the right thing seeing as how the dog turned on him, I have personal experience training these dogs and the handlers reaction was correct. Schutshund training is typically where this type of handling comes from many police forces (which is where my experience come from) and military training programs use this. also most of the dogs with this type of training are not what you would call "family pets", but that being said it depends on the animal and the enviroment it's raised in. If you wanted to use one for family protection and TSHTF type stuff then this could be done with the right training if you just want a bad ass attack dog this to can be acomplished it all depends on what you want the animal to do.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

I have a belgian and she's no attack dog

But when I saw how those jump and pounch, it made understand where my dog gets it from.

She's a daredevil who jumps into the bed of my truck while I'm pulling away or running fast as the wind next to it. In a SHTF I'm sure she'll be a dear comfort.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by merkej23

Idiot. Don't let your dog run next to a moving vehicle. It's going to get killed or severely injured someday.
edit on 2012/4/5 by SteveR because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Home training these dogs to at attack should only be done with professional trainers. If not you end up with some moron trying to be a bad --- making a mess of the dog, then it becomes aggressive and dangerous. This only ads to the breed hate ignorance and breed specific legislation that punishes animals and not stupid humans. This kind of thing is not a good idea. That said, my dogs are a part of the family and will not be treated like killing machines due to some may or may not happen scenario.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I would choose 1 dog to have in-case of a SHTF scenario.

The Pressa Canario

top topics

<<   2 >>

join