It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horror Movies Thread

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I thought it would be sweet to make a thread dedicated to discussing horror pictures, and recommending our favourites to eachother.

So right now I'm pretty much looking for good horror movies to watch, and I'd like you guys to recommend some of your favourite ones (:

Let's narrow it down to only 21st century movies (that's what i'm interested in at the moment), i honestly can't be bothered with old school horror, as I was born in the 90's, and anyway don't find them scary or intelligent at all, most of the time (i've seen my share of 20s, 60's, 70s, and 80's horror flicks).

Anyway, any 21st century horror movie recommendations would be awesome (: I'll probably have seen most of the ones you will recommend, but don't hold back, you never know which one I might have missed. I'll skim through your recommendations.

Thanks in advance, and feel free to contribute to the thread in any way ya like !

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I really liked Insidious and Dream House was pretty good, if I think of more I'll add them.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
skeleton crews kinda crazy
www.imdb.com...
not my favorite but it was alright

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Recently, I really liked the movie "Let Me In". It's not very scary, but I think it could still be classified as horror.
edit on 4/2/2012 by goochball because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Recently I watched a British film called Kill List. It came out in 2011. I've watched standard horror movies before but never had any problems with them. The film was great, the first half is roughly boring and slow, but it gets dark towards the end and the last part really gave me a fright. You definitely don't want to let your kids watch it. The film is about two hitmen, one of whom just completely falls apart from doing jobs. If you don't understand the British accent or you don't like "intelligent" movies, I wouldn't recommend it. Kill List is nonetheless a great horror film.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

Has you seen the movie "anti Christ"? Really twisted film

If you like thriller horror, Eden lake was pretty intense

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
There is a lot of different kinds of horror some of my favs
horror comedy- zombieland, Shaun of the dead, dog house
zombie horror- dawn of the dead (remake) (original was good too), 28 days later ( i know not technically zombies), night of the living dead ( ok pretty much all of the "dead" movies by Romero)
slasher horror- Texas chainsaw massacre (remake) last house on the left (remake) American psycho
vampire horror- blade, Salem's lot, from dusk to dawn, near dark, underworld
then of course there is other kinds of horror that are great
Evil dead, aliens, It (i really like Stephen King movies), demons, high tension, the descent,the thing.

wow just to many but a few good ones anyways

happy horror my friend!!!!

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
A personal favorite of mine is A Tale of Two Sisters - Korean film from 2003.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

Ok try splinter the full movie on you tube.
the D.I.Y. arm amputation is very OMG.

Altered about some deep south types getting revenge on aliens that killed they friend.

You prob already seen this but Pandorum really a good one if you like deep space horror.

But if your want to have fun and gore try Tucker And Dale Vs Evil.

Hope that helped.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Not sure if you are into foreign horrors but these are a few of my faves

Three...extremes

Ringu (the original "the ring")

Audition

Battle Royale (also a book)

One missed call (I like better than the American remake)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Spookyjack

Yes! I forgot that one

and "Mirrors" (another foreign one, although i think there is an american remake?)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanna

Audition....gave me chills just remembering that scene.. haha. Good list!

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Hostel 1 and 2

Believe it or not, Wikipedia has some good lists of all the horror movies made by year.

List of horror films of the 2000-2009

List of horror films of 2010

List of horror films of 2011

ranker.com has some good lists

www.ranker.com...

Other sites

10 best horror movies of the last 10 years

Top 100 Horror movies of all time

Top 25 Horror Movies of All-Time

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I really like this thread S and F for you... here are a list of some of my favs that haven't been mentioned

Pandorum.... great scifi horror flick.. one of my all time favs actually

Cube
Cube 2

Friday the 13th

Jason

The Ring.... always gets me

Cabin Fever

Hellrasier

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
What is it that you like about 21st century horror in particular as opposed to horror from other decades? That might be able to help us recommend stuff.

I don't think the last 12 years have produced a lot of good horror but:

The Eye- The original Korean version. There's three parts that I found genuinely frightening, which is pretty good. It's kind of a ghost story type thing.

Mulholland Dr- Not a horror movie, more of a really weird drama/detective story. It does however have the scariest scene I've ever watched in a movie.

The first Ju-on movie has some creepy parts.

House of the Devil- You probably won't like this one since it's modeled on '80s horror films in its pacing and look. Still, an interesting movie.

Session 9- Is another kind of slow one, the horror mostly comes from the atmosphere. Not bad.

There's the Masters of Horror series that was on Showtime where a bunch of famous horror directors direct one hour movies. Most of them suck. The only really good one is John Carpenter's episode "Cigarette Burns." Some okay ones are Jenifer, Fair Haired Child, Sick Girl, The Screwfly Solution, Right to Die and Deer Woman. Here's an episode list with a brief description of each.

Behind the Mask: The Leslie Vernon Story- Isn't scary at all, but it is kind of interesting. It's about a woman making a documentary about a killer set in a world where Michael Meyers, Jason and Freddy Kreuger were real. It's all about the murderer prepping his spree.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I just watched

"Dark Angel the Ascent"

luv it

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Hi guys, thanks for all your replys. I just finnished watchiing Orphan yesterday night, before completely blacking out from the Tramadol I'm taking for my broken wrist
I was really surprised by this one, considering I started watching it with little, to zero expectations. Awesome thriller. That little girl is a badass actor (:

Anyway, I've skimmed through your recommendations, and I'll try to answer as many as I can.

reply to post by thov420

I've seen Insidious and unfortunately didn't really like it. But I'll check out Dream House, the director sounds promising. Thanks.

reply to post by TheGuyFawkes

That movie got a 3.5 rating dude, and you even said it was "alright". I'm specifically asking for favourites, aka good horror movies, not ALRIGHT horror movies
But thanks anyway.

reply to post by goochball

I'm from Sweden, so I saw the Swedish original "Låt den rätte komma in" back in 2008. I think watching the original is enough for now, but I'll definitely check out the American remake at some point (: Thx for recommending though.

reply to post by Burnittotheground

Yep, I've seen it. I downloaded it back in 2009 somewhere, and was going to watch it with my friend. We smoked a joint before watching it, and got a total "wtf" reaction from it at the sex scene. We got through it anyway, and then as time went on we realized how incredibly slow that movie was, I mean nothing was happening, just a bunch of talking. So we gave up, turned it off, and watched another horror. Never watched it since

But thx anyway!

reply to post by Natame

Thx for the recommendations, I'll check'em out, I've seen most of'em though. But thanks !

reply to post by Spookyjack

I've seen it, but thanks ! ^^ And yea, it's great. Koreans make awesome movies, like Oldboy :p (not to mention awesome rap artists, like dok2 and Jay Park ^^)

reply to post by Vanna

I've seen Battle Royale (been listening to the end credits song with Dragon Ash ever since^^). I've also seen Ringu, But I'll check out Audition.

reply to post by IpsissimusMagus

I've seen Hostel 1, the second one I didn't like that much though. Thanks anyway, I'll check out the lists.

reply to post by Doalrite

Out of that list I haven't seen Cabin Fever, might check it out, thanks!

reply to post by rigel4

Wow, a movie from 1994? Is it like... blair with project style or something ? Can I find it on youtube ? I might check it out, even though it didn't get an amazing rating on IMDB.

@SaulGoodman: I'll try to answer your question as soon as I can, but right now I'm too lazy to type anymore !

Thanks all ! (:

reply to post by TheGuyFawkes

Dude, it got a 3.5.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

honestly can't be bothered with old school horror

BLASPHEMY!!!!!

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
No but really though ^^

I just cba with old school horror, I've seen it before, and while it can be good at times I just cba right now

CX

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Some good suggestions there.

Can't beat a bit of Asian Extreme.....Ichi the killer is one of my faves.

CX.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join