It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Way Also Closed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Today is Palm Sunday and as such

" Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord, Blessed is the King of Israel." John 12:13 NIV

I thought I'd share a few things.

This is believed to be the gate that Jesus of Nazareth entered through into Jerusalem during what is called the Triumphant Entry. Today it is called the Golden Gate and it is known in Arabic as the Gate of Eternal Life. In Jesus' time it was called in Hebrew Sha'ar Harachamim which means Gate of Mercy.

This gate is believed to have been built by Justinian as an expansion (apparently more like those Russian nesting dolls as the former gate is located within the visible one) of the gate that was around during Herod's Temple era.

Today the gate is completely sealed. This was done by Ottoman Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent in 1541. In an effort to fortify the temple mount area and possibly, as many believe, an attempt to block the Jewish Messiah who is according to tradition supposed to enter through the Mercy Gate. This belief is supported by the Arab construction of a cemetery in front of the gate. The supposed prupose of the cemetery stems from the literal interpretation of Elijah preceding the Messiah. Thus the cemetery was built to prevent Elijah from walking through it as Islam teaches Elijah is descended from Aaron and therefore as a Kohen would not be able to enter a cemetery. Apparently this would be ineffective in any case as a Kohen can enter a cemetery if the primary occupants are non Jews which is the case.

I wager if either Christian or Jewish Eschatology are accurate when Messiah comes (or returns) and sees this
1. A cemetery
2. A walled up and sealed gate.
he's gonna be mad.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Your post made me smile

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Josephus

I like that photo,I'm right in to ruins and may appreciate your message....

edit on 2-4-2012 by SarnholeOntarable because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Josephus

the tidbits like this are the best because they have so much historic value, it is quite easy to see why Islam want to do the erasing bit and keeping people off their own land.

I believe Jesus just may walk thru that gate again one day, then they too will know it is Jesus the Christ who is the Messiah. Unfortunately we both have a few hurdles to overcome which keep both of our philosophies in a civilized state... France and England are looking pretty rough and it makes me feel bad because we are so tied with France here in America (our National history) that we vowed to not erect any statue dealing with the American Revolution without it being a joint effort between the two countries.

I think there are around 153.000 Christians in Israel right now? how many of the have converted from Judaism is most likely unknown. I just find the coincidence eerie... and wonder if it is on the decline or incline?

keep it coming, I don't know the full story here... one thing I am quite sure of is we are all God's chosen people.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
He can walk on water, but can't walk around a locked gate. Or fly down past it.

Ok then, merry easter...

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

We'll this wasn't meant as a detterent to Jesus but rather to Elijah and then the Islamic interpretation of a yet future Jewish Messiah. As far as Christians are concerned I beleive when Jesus returns to earth in physical form it is believed that when he descends he will do so onto the Mount of Olives (which is where the person who took the second picture in my post is standing) when he steps foot on the mountain it is supposed to cleave in two; which I believe will clear his way quite nicely.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by PassedKarma

well I'm glad that it did
and of course knowing it made you smile makes me smile.

new topics

top topics

join