It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Poll - 69 percent of Americans thought that the US should not be at war in Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

The survey found that more than two-thirds of those polled — 69 percent — thought that the United States should not be at war in Afghanistan. Just four months ago, 53 percent said that Americans should no longer be fighting in the conflict, more than a decade old.

The increased disillusionment was even more pronounced when respondents were asked their impressions of how the war was going. The poll found that 68 percent thought the fighting was going “somewhat badly” or “very badly,” compared with 42 percent who had those impressions in November.

The Times/CBS News poll was consistent with other surveys this month that showed a drop in support for the war. In a Washington Post/ABC News poll, 60 percent of respondents said the war in Afghanistan had not been worth the fighting, while 57 percent in a Pew Research Center poll said that the United States should bring home American troops as soon as possible. In a Gallup/USA Today poll, 50 percent of respondents said the United States should speed up the withdrawal from Afghanistan.

Look how much those numbers went up since just a few months ago. On how bad the war is going, it is 68% today, to 42% in November.

The article also goes into Republicans and Democrats views today, compared to a few months ago.
Republicans - 60% say the war is going badly, compared to 40% in November
Democrats - 68% to 38% in November.

But the poll found that Republicans were more likely to want to stay in Afghanistan for as long as it would take to stabilize the situation: 3 in 10 said the United States should stay, compared with 2 in 10 independents and 1 in 10 Democrats.

My view....get out of Afghanistan now.

The article also mentions this...

The poll also follows a number of high-profile killings of American troops by their Afghan partners — a trend that the top American commander in Afghanistan suggested on Monday was likely to continue.

All the more reason to get the heck out of that place.

Here's a video discussing the same article if anyone wants to watch.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
So those are polls. They asked the people.... And you know, honestly, you don't count. You may havea democracy, but most of you "people" are scared of your gov't, scared.

They should poll the ones fighting this "war" (one sided-battle). Tell me those digits.... Bet it'd come back 69% love it, 29% need a pay-check, 2% have no idea what.

I could be wrong, however... I hope I am.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FearEater

Even if the number gets higher and higher, I doubt the government would really even listen to us.

They should poll the ones fighting this "war" (one sided-battle).

Ive searched for a polls of active duty soliders, but the latest I could come up with was from April 2010. Here's what it said.

www.politicsdaily.com...

The military's confidence that it will win the Afghan war is declining, according to a new tracking poll showing only 60 percent of active-duty military personnel believe the U.S. can triumph.

The poll, conducted by the Military Times newspapers, which are not affiliated with the Defense Department, showed the percentage of respondents who believe the United States is likely to win in Afghanistan has dropped from 77 in 2008 to 68 in 2009 to 60 percent in late January and early February of this year.

Military Times, a subsidiary of Gannett, publisher of USA Today, publishes weekly newspapers that cover each of the military services. The poll was an online survey of subscribers, including some 1,800 active-duty military members. More than 200 responded while deployed in or near a war zone, the Times said, mostly officers and non-commissioned officers.

The Times said 72 percent said they would re-enlist or extend their commitment to military service if they had to decide today, with "job security'' being the number one reason, followed by retirement benefits and patriotism, the Times reported.

That was around 2 years ago.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I don't get it though. What did Afghanistan do to cause you to attack her?

100% should be against this, seeing as how billions of cash supposedly go to (nothing) this war. Keep "fighting the terrorists" ... yeah, all but the ones who fund this slaughter. Afterall, some people need a pay-check.

I have a picture to sum it all up, let me try to post it. This is my first try...

ETA; Hope this shows.

edit on 2-4-2012 by FearEater because: (no reason given)

ETA2; I did not make this picture, so don't accuse me of jack.
edit on 2-4-2012 by FearEater because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
ok so first of all every time I see the word "poll" or "survey" I always take it with a grain of salt because whoever is in charge of these can make the numbers say pretty much whatever they want, based on how the question is asked, what the answer choices are, and who the questions are asked too. Also while I don't think we should necessarily be at "war" in afghanistan we do I feel IMHO we kinda owe them a debt after sending in loads and loads of weapons to help them fend off the russians in the 80's and then when they really needed us to help rebuild everything we just abandoned them I can't really say I'm suprised things turned out they way they did. And yeah I know "it's not up to us to run everyone else's country" and all that jazz but if we had had made any sort of effort to help them out AFTER their counrty was destroyed maybe alot of this today could have been avoided. Like I said that is my opinion and regardless of wether or not I believe we should be there I still support all the men and women risking their lives for us and their meger govt paycheck. Because lord knows if they were to leave the military and come home theres not very much in the way of opportunities waiting for them here.

top topics

join