It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA Won't Ban BPA Chemical in Packaging

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

FDA Won't Ban BPA Chemical in Packaging

abcnews.go.com

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced today that it won't ban bisphenol A (BPA), the controversial chemical that is widely used in food packaging.

The agency rejected a petition by the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) that called for a ban on BPA as an ingredient in food packaging saying in a statement the council didn't have the scientific data needed for the FDA to change current regulations on the chemical.

But the FDA stressed it would continue to review the safety of BPA.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
theintelhub.com
www.denverpost.com

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Why doesn't this surprise me,Just after recently rejecting over 1 million signatures in a petition against GM foods now the FDA has rejected the petition of banning BPA chemical packaging.

FDA claimed that the findings could not be applied to humans while independent studies have proven otherwise

Right
...Basically the petitioners are not the ones in the FDA's back pocket but I imagine someone has a good bit of money that they are shoveling over that allows criminal chemical elements to remain in our food supply.

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

If you are not aware concerning what Bisphenol is exactly and the negative effects it is known to cause...On humans here you go -

Bisphenol A is an endocrine disruptor, which can mimic the body's own hormones and may lead to negative health effects.[34][35][36][37] Early developmental stages appear to be the period of greatest sensitivity to its effects,[38] and some studies have linked prenatal exposure to later neurological difficulties. Regulatory bodies have determined safety levels for humans, but those safety levels are currently being questioned or are under review as a result of new scientific studies.[39][40] A 2011 study that investigated the number of chemicals pregnant women are exposed to in the U.S. found BPA in 96% of women.[41]

In 2009, The Endocrine Society released a statement citing the adverse effects of endocrine-disrupting chemicals,including BPA.[42]

In 2011, the chief scientist of the United Kingdom's Food Standards Agency commented on a study on dietary exposure of adult humans to BPA performed by the EPA,[43] saying, "This corroborates other independent studies and adds to the evidence that BPA is rapidly absorbed, detoxified, and eliminated from humans – therefore is not a health concern."[44] In the study 20 subjects were tested for BPA every hour for twenty-four hours while consuming three meals consisting of canned food.[43]

In 2012 a paper was written in response to this study, however, criticizing the study as lacking data and having flawed assumptions

Source

I posted a thread a while back on the chemicals found within pregnant women,BPA being one of the main culprits - 99% of Pregnant Women in US Test Positive for Multiple Chemicals

BPA was the most abundant trace chemical with 96% out of 268 patients that were examined,Prenatal exposure to BPA has been linked to adverse health outcomes, affecting brain development and increasing susceptibility to cancer later in life.

Additional information and evidence:
- An Extensive New Literature Concerning Low-Dose Effects of Bisphenol A Shows the Need for a New Risk Assessment
- Chapel Hill bisphenol A expert panel consensus statement: Integration of mechanisms, effects in animals and potential to impact human health at current levels of exposure

Crimes against humanity.

edit on 1-4-2012 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
well im sure this has something to do with the moneys that the FDA receives for looking the other way, as they do with sooo many other chemicals that are in things we consume

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I agree with you. Leaving BPA in our food supply IS a crime against humanity. From the cradle to the grave, they are trying to shorten our lives, and the lives we do live are filled with chronic diseases and pain, so we are easier to control.

The FDA has proven itself, time and again, as our ENEMY. They are not our friends, they do not work for us. They are bought and paid for by Big Pharma and Big Industry. Ever since Donald Rumsfeld came from Searle as their CEO into high government and suddenly allowed aspartame into our food supply, against the protests of just about every doctor on the FDA panel, they have been the official cover for these crimes.

1981 marks the year in which the FDA went from being the watchdog of our food and drug supply, to the open gate for every poison and garbage drug that stands to make money for a few scumbags.

www.rense.com...

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Females today get their periods much earlier than they did even as late as the '30s and '40s. It used to come on around age 16. Now it's as early as age 9. How is this possible if it's not used in baby food packaging? Because it's used to line the inside of cans for canned food.

The FDA and EPA need to be sued, defunded and disbanded for allowing the poisoning of Americans.

/TOA
edit on 1-4-2012 by The Old American because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Why am I not surprised

I guess until it kills people in large enough numbers......

I have read that Campbell's
has stopped using it....let's hope this government announcement doesn't change their minds

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Yes but they frown on certified raw milk which is essentially needed for absorption of calcium into the bones and teeth and they know it, perfectly well. They demonize foods you need and promote garbage and toxins.

They need well informed citizens watchdog committees and private investigators sent forth by these groups to criminally prosecute many of them, for I really suspect their positions are not natural or given by merit of service to others, and srident recommendations for overhauls.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Petitions to corrupt organizations are useless. Vote with your dollars, might cost you a little more but if you're worried about this issue there are products and stores that aren't using BPA(some were listed in the youtube vid in this thread), buy them instead. The FDA doesn't do crap. It takes a change in the populace, don't wait for those fools to do anything for you. Same with pink slime in meat, once companies decided that it would effect their bottom line, they pulled it.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by PerfectPerception

Needs a public outcry. Where are the petitions?! ...Oh yeah. They don't count.

Any chance Occupy Wall Street might work for this? [I am SO PO'd. Again. These guys have NO shame.]

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

I don't trust the FDA any more than I would Hitler. They are the most corrupt government agency out there. We went the all natural holistic route. I have dropped 140 pounds. My wife has dropped 40 and that is since she got pregnant 7 months ago. All because we are getting healthy by the love and grace of God using holistic health to get us there. Something the FDA really dislikes. We try to stay away from packaging that has BPA in it but that is not always possible.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Then....BPA is ot the problem, FDA is the problem.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
Why am I not surprised

I guess until it kills people in large enough numbers......

I have read that Campbell's
has stopped using it....let's hope this government announcement doesn't change their minds

They already make us dumb with MSG anyway, why add BPA when we get intoxicated a plenty from other foods!

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Related thread:

Puberty Before Age 10: A New ‘Normal’? by Puterman, ATS quake guru.

Along with so many other things we find in our environment, this is yet something else which is much more detrimental than not.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
28 hours and a whole whopping 12 responses? On a site like ATS? For an issue this vital? What, is everyone watching bread and circuses or something? The FDA is 4,000,000 times as evil as Qaddafi was, you know. At least four million times. It's more destructive to our health than ObamaCare could ever be, but THAT'S what everyone's on about? The FDA is PURPOSELY MAKING OUR KIDS STUPID by mandating which poisons are shoved into them, and all anyone cares about is who "wins" in Wisconsin??

America deserves what's coming to it. It really, really does.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
There you go. It is safe to consume plastics, but beyond toxic to consume milk straight from the cow. Blessed be our benevolent dictators and their infinite wisdom. Forgive us for thinking we what's best for us.

top topics

join