It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh GOD!! It looks as if ATS has started to enter into the the Idiotic plane...batten down the hatche

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Oh, and just to let you know about the "lack" of jobs, at least here in Austin, I called a young man on craigslist to hire him for work. I offered him 15 dollars an hour cash to help me with a light labor job. (Helping shoot a organic gardening video). He was excited on the phone and said no problem, awesome, will be there Friday, 10:30 AM. Well, Friday came and when he didn't show I called and got VM. Quick cash in his hand, right? He didn't even have the drive to pick up that fast cash, how sad is that. I guess he is still living with his parents.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by seentoomuch

My parents were restauranteurs and I was working for them by the age of twelve. By the age of fifteen my rebelliousness kicked in and I began working for my parents competitors, mostly because they paid better. I paid for my own college education through my own effort, which included earning scholarships, and of course, working for others.

I do remember Dust in the Wind and even at an early age was astounded at how such a beautiful melody could be accompanied by such a bankrupted message. It is equally as tragic that you continually assume things about me that have no bearing in any foundation of fact and is really nothing more than a product of your own conformation bias.

Here is the difference between us as I understand it. I understand the awesome responsibility I have to correct the mistakes of not just my generation but those that came before me, and I have little time to focus on whatever inadequacies younger people may have, and I stand by my original post in this thread and still believe that the best I can do for anyone is to continue to impose impossibly high standards upon myself, to live up to those standards as best I can and hope this inspires people, both young and old to do the same.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by seentoomuch
Oh, and just to let you know about the "lack" of jobs, at least here in Austin, I called a young man on craigslist to hire him for work. I offered him 15 dollars an hour cash to help me with a light labor job. (Helping shoot a organic gardening video). He was excited on the phone and said no problem, awesome, will be there Friday, 10:30 AM. Well, Friday came and when he didn't show I called and got VM. Quick cash in his hand, right? He didn't even have the drive to pick up that fast cash, how sad is that. I guess he is still living with his parents.

Did it not even occur to you that he found a better offer? Is that outside the realm of possibility?

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Go for it, I like the plan. Are you on facebook wearing leather and wrecking a ferrari on video? If not I doubt they see you or hear you. Don't you get it? The kids are the future. Remember "The Illustrated Man" that they showed us in school? It's all true, the lions especially oh, and edit to add the segment on the end of the world. If you find a way to fix it, I'll back you 1000%.

Highest regards,

STM
edit on 4/1/2012 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
This is the exact same thing
I was thinking about the occupy
wallstreet threads so meaningless
and never ending..

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by seentoomuch

Go for it, I like the plan. Are you on facebook wearing leather and wrecking a ferrari on video? If not I doubt they see you or hear you. Don't you get it? The kids are the future. Remember "The Illustrated Man" that they showed us in school? It's all true, the lions especially oh, and edit to add the segment on the end of the world. If you find a way to fix it, I'll back you 1000%.

Highest regards,

STM

While in this site I am occasionally confronted by a "TLDR" member, but even this annoyance suggests that a member willing to take the time to post such a thing is in their own way attempting to communicate with me and asking I find a less verbose way to make my point. I tend to bristle at such a thing, but in keeping an open mind, I am also willing to keep trying to find ways to simplify, simplify, simplify. Never dumb down, just embrace the constant of the universe, which appears to be simplicity.

However, I am contacted by younger members on this site fairly regularly, some looking for private counsel and some asking I join their thread and offer my point of view. Many of the friends I have made on this site are people who regularly disagree with me, but in the end recognize that I am on their side and not against them.

Facebook is not my cup of tea. While I tend to frustrate many a moderator in this site, the vast majority of them have gone out of their way to make me feel at home here, so what little influence I may have by simply confining my efforts here is still having an impact. I have no doubt your efforts in this site are doing the same. If you and I only inspire one other person to step up and do more, then that is two more people who will carry the flame. This may not be much of an accomplishment, but it is better than wasting our time making critical generalizations about younger people who deserve more respect than many are willing to give them.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

have you all got memory loss?

I assure you that in 2006 when you were a 'newbie' you were posting repititious twaddle and older Members did not have an ego that puffed up and became 'experts' on subject matter and posted threads about it.

sheesh

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
ATS has always been a good read, the level of off the wall ideas and genuinely interesting/intriguing oddness never fails to entertain. Some of it is worth further investigation and some of it is downright crazy, the latter was always present as long as I have been visiting here (ATS forum, not earth) but lately there does seem to be a growth in the numbers of the lunatic fringe, it's got to the stage where they are taking over.

We need a purge.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Fine, for simplicity's sake I'll say it this way, I almost agree with you. Respect should be earned, remember? I do not respect the majority of young people today. I want to see them prove themselves to me before I respect them. Is that anti-PC? I always have and always will support true endeavors.

Helping them gain a step up is always my goal so we do have something in common and I look forward to reading your posts on the board, you do have my respect, but with reservations. In time perhaps we'll work out the small differences. May I make you a friend on my profile? And you can definitely make me a friend, look forward to the future discussions with you. And for the record I have "simplified" my writing for this board for many years now, sorry it bothered you,

Highest regards,

STM

Edit to add: Please watch "The Illustrated Man" on Amazon or Netflix. It will remind you of the situation. Ray Bradbury wrote it and I believe he was prescient in his work. Just fast forward through the rain segment imo.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by seentoomuch

I would be honored to count you as a friend. We do not have to agree in order to recognize that we have far more in common that unites us than divides us.

I have all ready mentioned in this thread that I have spent a number of years tutoring young people. It bears repeating. My experience in tutoring these kids is that they do deserve far more respect than way too many insist on denying them. Not just the kids I tutor, but the ones I've come to know in my neighborhood, my own, and those I have come to know as baristas at coffee houses and other businesses I frequent. The young people today seem to be no different than any other generation. Some are not as bright as others and this is how life goes.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Thank you for being my friend. I shall endeavor to see your point though I must say from where I stand it is a different picture. Maybe over time they will come together,

All my best,

STM

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
There are multiple issues raised in this thread, not only one. We can only hypothesize as to the answers to these questions, but there have been some studies done.

The younger generation today, it is noticed, are attention deficit.It appears the newest generation of adults is on information overload, accustomed to getting all their information in sound bites.In America this results in youth who are unable to focus in their education, hence the less intelligent the appearance of their postings/threads. It is information overload which is causal, the constant contact with the internet... everything in quick bites of information, and not any defect in their brains.

People have two choices when confronted with the millions of choices available on the internet, take in as much as possible in short 'sound bites', or becoming single minded, finding only that which agrees and conforms to your world view to the exclusion of all else. Adults tend toward the latter, youth the former in this scenario. An Adult will be well read, but only well read about what he already believed, being close-minded to any opposing viewpoint on any given topic which he/she has an opinion. On the other hand a youth will get some information from every source, but never enough to make a decision on where they might stand on the matter.

Youth and Adults are all afraid, youths are unsure of what they are afraid of, and adults are sure to be afraid of anything that does not agree with them. This is due to many factors, governments ruling through fear of an unknown/unseen enemy, mixed with the wealth of information on all topics. Everywhere you go you see fear and/or negativity, and everyone shares a portion of their day with it.

While the hive mind may not be noticed to the same degree when you are among friends or with neighbors and/or co-workers, in large part because few will tell you what they are really feeling, thinking, or truly believe in person, for fear of being judged, but the hive mind is there, although not as apparent at times. In order to see it, perhaps you have to step back a few feet. And the more people express their fears, regardless of topic, the more fear itself gets perpetuated.

Part of this is purposeful, to keep the people distracted from fearing that which we truly should be afraid of, and part is a symptom of the times in which we live. But it works together hand in hand.

This is what the OP is noticing, without understanding cause. Once cause is understood, then we realize we cannot change the effects without changing our society itself.
edit on 1-4-2012 by Jameela because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   

I usually don't agree with you but I think this post was well-written.

I too, am tired of older generations slagging my generation (born in '81).

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jameela
There are multiple issues raised in this thread, not only one. We can only hypothesize as to the answers to these questions, but there have been some studies done.

The younger generation today, it is noticed, are attention deficit.It appears the newest generation of adults is on information overload, accustomed to getting all their information in sound bites.In America this results in youth who are unable to focus in their education, hence the less intelligent the appearance of their postings/threads. It is information overload which is causal, the constant contact with the internet... everything in quick bites of information, and not any defect in their brains.

People have two choices when confronted with the millions of choices available on the internet, take in as much as possible in short 'sound bites', or becoming single minded, finding only that which agrees and conforms to your world view to the exclusion of all else. Adults tend toward the latter, youth the former in this scenario. An Adult will be well read, but only well read about what he already believed, being close-minded to any opposing viewpoint on any given topic which he/she has an opinion. On the other hand a youth will get some information from every source, but never enough to make a decision on where they might stand on the matter.

Youth and Adults are all afraid, youths are unsure of what they are afraid of, and adults are sure to be afraid of anything that does not agree with them. This is due to many factors, governments ruling through fear of an unknown/unseen enemy, mixed with the wealth of information on all topics. Everywhere you go you see fear and/or negativity, and everyone shares a portion of their day with it.

While the hive mind may not be noticed to the same degree when you are among friends or with neighbors and/or co-workers, in large part because few will tell you what they are really feeling, thinking, or truly believe in person, for fear of being judged, but the hive mind is there, although not as apparent at times. In order to see it, perhaps you have to step back a few feet. And the more people express their fears, regardless of topic, the more fear itself gets perpetuated.

Part of this is purposeful, to keep the people distracted from fearing that which we truly should be afraid of, and part is a symptom of the times in which we live. But it works together hand in hand.

This is what the OP is noticing, without understanding cause. Once cause is understood, then we realize we cannot change the effects without changing our society itself.
edit on 1-4-2012 by Jameela because: (no reason given)

Thank you for your contribution, You said it better than i could.

Its about the bigger picture and I think some people are taking it way too personally. I was merely making an observation. the truth of the matter is I never said we were any better. I just said that given the gifts they have been awarded the kids of today really are squandering it.

Maybe its because they have always had it and dont really understand what it is they have or maybe its the fluoride and MTV I dont know, all i know is the morons I see on the trains everyday are going to be our future leaders we are in more trouble than we realize.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz

I assure you that in 2006 when you were a 'newbie' you were posting repititious twaddle and older Members did not have an ego that puffed up and became 'experts' on subject matter and posted threads about it.

sheesh

Really? You can assure me, can you?

well by all means please assure me by showing examples of this in my posting please...

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   

No I am not trolling, I was very tired and after reading the OP my mind was going, what is the true essence of this thread?

If it was to vent or rant, it appears that it was well written. To me though it appears that this thread was just about slinging turd about other members interests.

It was overall, IMO, an attack on free thinking people here at ATS! and some people seem not to like that,hmmm.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Oh GOD!! It looks as if ATS has started to enter into the the Idiotic plane...

You might find this plane being repeated on a four year cycle... following general elections here in the US. Afterwards... and in this case, because this is (finally) 2012, that infamous date in December, things will probably settle down a bit. The lights come on and the bugs all scamper back to their nooks in the woodwork, lol.

But beyond that, there is also a repetitive, quasi-generational effect that runs between various other dates and events. A few examples would be the prophetic global warming of doom and Planet-X visitation... with the latter offering more threat for long-term effects here in the conspiratorial underworld.

And then there are threads like this one, which depend on the great idiotic plane for existence. Perhaps there is a kind of symbiotic relationship between that plane and those who look on from the approaches...

Strange days have found us
And through their strange hours
We linger alone
Bodies confused
Memories misused
As we run from the day
To a strange night of stone

"Strange Days" - The Doors 1967

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrspiggy

No I am not trolling, I was very tired and after reading the OP my mind was going, what is the true essence of this thread?

If it was to vent or rant, it appears that it was well written. To me though it appears that this thread was just about slinging turd about other members interests.

It was overall, IMO, an attack on free thinking people here at ATS! and some people seem not to like that,hmmm.

Well that is your opinion and one you are most welcome to.

Keep in mind people rarely see whats in front but what they want to see, The point was to make people stop and think before creating ludicrous threads like the examples I showed.

See thats MY opinion, I'm not saying my opinion is right but its mine so I have the right to voice it. You can try to staunch it by misdirection but at the end of the day the way I perceive things is not going to change because you cant understand what im trying to communicate.

My interest is the betterment of this site, If i hurt your feelings or you somehow felt this thread is attacking you im sorry that was not the intention.

Nobody likes the bearer of bad news it seems.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by adnachiel21
I have been on ATS for a very long time,before signing up.I live in Europe,and some of the political topics here simply baffle me.Most of the topics aren't about conspiracies anymore,they are about politics and they bore me to death.It has become the same whether I go to ATS or CNN.And if a topic comes up having anything to do with something else besides Obama,Trayvon Martin,or Ron Paul,few member(you know who you are) jump right up to debunk it.I'm sick of it,and I'm over ATS so much.But I really appreciate the civil environment.

I couldnt agree with you more

btw I have asked this question before and never got an answer, "how do I delete or close my ATS account?"

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by dadfortruth1

Originally posted by adnachiel21
I have been on ATS for a very long time,before signing up.I live in Europe,and some of the political topics here simply baffle me.Most of the topics aren't about conspiracies anymore,they are about politics and they bore me to death.It has become the same whether I go to ATS or CNN.And if a topic comes up having anything to do with something else besides Obama,Trayvon Martin,or Ron Paul,few member(you know who you are) jump right up to debunk it.I'm sick of it,and I'm over ATS so much.But I really appreciate the civil environment.

I couldnt agree with you more

btw I have asked this question before and never got an answer, "how do I delete or close my ATS account?"

I dont believe its possible to delete an account or close it down. Anything posted on here is the property of the owners of this site.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join