It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh GOD!! It looks as if ATS has started to enter into the the Idiotic plane...batten down the hatche

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

By no means is it a modern phenomenon but it's polarization and number of fanatics has grown larger. And we didn't gave the kind of connectivity we have today with Facebook twitter and other forms of social media used to influence the minds of the weak.

It may be that because of the Internet and modern globalization that it appears that the polarization has grown larger, but the tears of Hypatia that dampened the roads of Alexandria as she was mercilessly beaten and her mangled and broken body drug through the streets of Alexandria only to be burned in the Caesareum by the outraged fanatical Christians suggests otherwise. Hypatia was a Greek philosopher in Roman Egypt during the 4th Century of classical antiquity, and at a time when the polarization between Roman pagans, Christians and Jews was more than just a little dangerous.

Everything old is new again, and I sit and watch the children play games we used to play they think are new, and I sit and watch as tears go by...

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux

By no means is it a modern phenomenon but it's polarization and number of fanatics has grown larger. And we didn't gave the kind of connectivity we have today with Facebook twitter and other forms of social media used to influence the minds of the weak.

It may be that because of the Internet and modern globalization that it appears that the polarization has grown larger, but the tears of Hypatia that dampened the roads of Alexandria as she was mercilessly beaten and her mangled and broken body drug through the streets of Alexandria only to be burned in the Caesareum by the outraged fanatical Christians suggests otherwise. Hypatia was a Greek philosopher in Roman Egypt during the 4th Century of classical antiquity, and at a time when the polarization between Roman pagans, Christians and Jews was more than just a little dangerous.

Everything old is new again, and I sit and watch the children play games we used to play they think are new, and I sit and watch as tears go by...

Well if it "APPEARS" like it has its because IT HAS.

With greater global connectivity ideas fly around the world and influence minds faster than ever in recorded history. So there might have been polarization in the past but nothing like what there is today because its so much easier and quicker to get the message to every tom dick and harry.

if what happened in Alexandria happened now people would be tweeting and facebooking about it and there would be a massive uproar about the even. Then people would take sides as to who they would support and then the slug fest would carry on ad nauseum.

The point is people are so obsessed with being on the right side of the argument they dont stop to see if the point is even worth the hassle of debate.

just to make an observation you seem to have some deep seeded issues with people of authority did someone older than you teach you lessons in a condescending manner? I only ask because you seem stuck on this point that there is nothing wrong with the younger generation and its always been like this.

Well just because things have always been sh!t doesnt mean it has to continue like that. Which is again my point that kids today have access to more complex forms of information than any other generation before it and all they care about is jersy shore or dancing with the stars or nascar or F1 or a myriad of other banal and pointless pursuits. (pointless determined by its usefulness towards society as a whole)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Well if it "APPEARS" like it has its because IT HAS.

The raccoon can APPEAR to many to be a cute, cuddly animal and by its appearance alone can seem to be harmless. The raccoon's APPEARANCE can mask its remarkably vicious nature. No, not everything is as it first APPEARS to be. To assert that what APPEARS to be does so because IT HAS is fallacious reasoning.

The point is people are so obsessed with being on the right side of the argument they dont stop to see if the point is even worth the hassle of debate.

Uh-huh. Well, it certainly APPEARS as if you've fallen into this very same trap. You seem obsessed with the idea that younger generations today are dumber then their predecessors and that polarization between people is at an all time high, which APPEARS to contradict the historical evidence. World War II reflected a great polarization between people of the world, and yet there was no Facebook, MySpace, or even an Internet available to the masses.

My defense of younger people today stems from my experience in tutoring some of them. Many would come to me insisting they felt stupid and helpless about it. They would leave me at their own pace because when my job was done they had learned how to think critically and teach themselves and no longer needed a tutor for any subject. Many of them, I suspect, still text using poor grammatical skills, but they are far from stupid.

I have no problem with actual authority, only fraudulence.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Uh-huh. Well, it certainly APPEARS as if you've fallen into this very same trap. You seem obsessed with the idea that younger generations today are dumber then their predecessors and that polarization between people is at an all time high, which APPEARS to contradict the historical evidence. World War II reflected a great polarization between people of the world, and yet there was no Facebook, MySpace, or even an Internet available to the masses.

Im talking also about the speed at which things are polarized. And the only reason people were polarized during WWII or any other historical time frame is exactly because they had no access to the internet.

The point im trying to make is that given the luxuries we have been afforded in regards to our access to information the majority of the younger generation are not using it to educate themselves but to entertain only. They look upon knowledge as uncool and laugh at intelligence preferring ignorance and even lauding it. If you choose not to believe this thats your choice im just telling you what i see on the streets.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   

The point im trying to make is that given the luxuries we have been afforded in regards to our access to information the majority of the younger generation are not using it to educate themselves but to entertain only. They look upon knowledge as uncool and laugh at intelligence preferring ignorance and even lauding it. If you choose not to believe this thats your choice im just telling you what i see on the streets.

The point I am trying to make is that every generation has been rife with individuals guilty of this same thing. Your generation may want to let themselves off the hook and pretend that in general they were more concerned with education and understanding truth than they were entertainment, but it is a delusional pretense.

It is previous generations that are responsible for the U.S. national debt, not the present younger generation. It is previous generations responsible for the entrenchment of credentialism, not the younger generation. It is previous generations responsible for the steady erosion of protection for unalienable rights not the current younger generation.

When, in 1917, Woodrow Wilson declared that the U.S. must make the "world safe for democracy", very few at that time had the temerity or even the cognition to stand up and challenge this assertion and point out that the U.S. is a republic with a Constitution that is remarkably more anti-democratic than is democratic. However, by 1917 more than three years had passed since the adoption of the 17th Amendment, an Amendment that is arguably unconstitutional, yet to the best of my knowledge this Amendment has not ever even been challenged. With such acquiescence to usurpation it is no wonder that Wilson felt emboldened enough to make his dubious declaration.

Too many people were stupid at the turn of the 19th Century into the 20th, too many people were stupid when Wilson declared we must make the world safe for democracy, and too many people were stupid each subsequent generation and now here we are. This is what I am saying. Feel free to blame this all on the younger generations of today, but blame is wholly irrelevant even if they were to blame.

edit on 1-4-2012 by Jean Paul Zodeaux because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   

As far as I can tell you are totally correct, I don't bother making threads anymore really, not much point. There used to be a point, although now it is just futile and id prefer to put effort in where it is appreciated, which is not the case here anymore.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Too many people think life is a video game and shoot not knowing it kills, too many people think making a living is non-reality and that they should live at home where the "money tree" is, too many people think it's all an illusion whatever they do shouldn't be held against them, too many people are spoilt rotten in the U.S. and should be cut off from the "money tree" so that they can figure out how to make things right with their own brain power. Are they up to it? That's the question? We did our best, let's see you do yours . . . .

How are you going to fix things, what innovative idea do you have? That's the question, it's not the blame game, its what will make things right question.....

edit on 4/1/2012 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by seentoomuch

Don't pat yourself on the back for what ever it is you believe your generation did. If it was "your best" then your best was not good enough and it is way beyond hypocritical to look at younger generations that have only yet begun and pretend as if they are not up to "your" level of mediocrity.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   

If your generation wants to have a nice world (which we did and we were successful at many things) you have to move forward. Spending all your energy on the blame game is a waste of time. Move Forward.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Its not the thread itself that I have a problem with, I believe everybody has the right to their opinion and as such should have the right to speak it.

Mercy, not sacrifice. Who cares what you believe in, in this case, if you are just gonna be mad at them cause their "intelligence" is as refined as yours. Instead of getting mad and upset with those below you, maybe try to inform? Just sayin.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   

the "End of World" Imminent: This WARNING is very real." was very boring and had nothing to do with any new information... same random screaming from fanatics...

the dolphin thread on the other hand, disregarding its otherwise pretty OK title for what happened, was very sad to see, but it WAS important because so many dolphins died, and i call that important ATS material.

there will be "WORLD END IN 3 seconds" threads (that are wrong of course), and there will be dolphins.

don't worry about it, i can tell your stressed and so am i.

been very very anxious lately and i don't know why.

also everyone i see is flying off the handle and acting very illogical and strange.

im actually making a thread about this right now.

edit on 1-4-2012 by SoymilkAlaska because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by seentoomuch

If your generation wants to have a nice world (which we did and we were successful at many things) you have to move forward. Spending all your energy on the blame game is a waste of time. Move Forward.

If you represent "your" generation then it is arguable that "your" generation is woefully lacking in the paying attention department. You have willfully ignored my own assertion that blame is irrelevant in order to now pretend that I am playing some kind of blame game instead of simply pointing out that today's youth do not seem to be any more stupid than any previous generation, and ironically, you seem hell bent on proving my point.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I would argue that today's youth is not innovative to the level that we were. They are limited to what they see on a screen and are losing personal communication skills as in face to face. All that counts to them is screen to screen and when they are faced with real life situations they are lacking and pretending its some sort of virtual reality. Instead of dealing with situations and learning from them they have "escaped" into cyberland and don't have the brain muscles to handle things in the here and now, no magic swords, just blame 'cause "it isn't fair".

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   

I would argue that today's youth is not innovative to the level that we were. They are limited to what they see on a screen and are losing personal communication skills as in face to face. All that counts to them is screen to screen and when they are faced with real life situations they are lacking and pretending its some sort of virtual reality. Instead of dealing with situations and learning from them they have "escaped" into cyberland and don't have the brain muscles to handle things in the here and now, no magic swords, just blame 'cause it isn't fair.

I would argue that you are transposing your own reality on youth you make no attempt to engage in reality. Your presumptuousness is so bad that you deem to lecture a 51 year old man and treat him as if he were just a child. Presumption of knowledge is the very definition of arrogance.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska
been very very anxious lately and i don't know why.

also everyone i see is flying off the handle and acting very illogical and strange.

At least for me, this appears to be a uniquely ATS-related phenomenom. No one I know out there in the real world acts like the collective hive syndrome I observe here on this site.

You're all riling each other up with all this awakening/consciousness shift/I Can Just Feel A Big Change Coming horse#.

Take a week off from this site, and I guarantee you will feel a weight lifted. I enjoy ATS for the entertainment, but if you get swept up in the fantasy of it all (and 95% of it is just that) the effect is similar to a bunch of sorrority sisters who've synchronized menstrual cycles.

Of course, when I say "you" I don't mean you specifically, Soy. I mean the royal "you." All of you.

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Arrogance? It would be ignorance to believe the age people state on the internet.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Arrogance? It would be ignorance to believe the age people state on the internet.

It would be even more ignorant to assume that that person claiming to be 51 just simply has a gift for writing and has not spent years working the craft and that his research abilities are also just some magical gift that was granted rather than being earned. It would be ignorant to ignore this and arrogant to presume that man is lying about his age. ignorance coupled with arrogance is a recipe for disaster.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Okay, I believe you, kinda. I'm enjoying this actually. I've been wanting to get this out for quite a while, so thank you for the opportunity.
How is it that you have escaped having relatives or friends complaining about kids never leaving home, or constantly wrecking cars and needing a new one, or kids telling off parents, etc..... Do you have children? My son is a psychologist and I hear these stories all the time. He works with the schools to recruit them into community college for free! Most don't accept, their parent's rarely show up for the meetings, what's up with that? He's says they're into looks and being famous and being cool and being a gangsta, etc....

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by seentoomuch

I am not clear why you believe the break down of the family unit is an accomplishment. I am not clear why you believe the corporatist society that has been forged by several generations is the same land of opportunity that existed before the creation of this corporatism in a time when individuals could start their own businesses without anything near the bureaucratic nonsense that exists today. I am unclear why you believe that this nation that has accrued a national debt nearing 15 trillion, has undermined their own currency to the point of collapse, while simultaneously suppressing interest rates to remain dramatically lower than inflation is an accomplishment. I am unclear why you believe the sorry state of affairs that exist today are really just "your generation" doing the best that they can, but you believe that future generations are incapable of accomplishing the same nonsensical disaster that is American society today.

In short, I am unclear why you think the wildly unstable nation that was once a great and shining beacon to the world is a product of "your generations" accomplishment and that some how younger generations are incapable of such monstrous and inexcusable lazy sloppiness and unethical behavior.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Okay, here we go: for one thing we are exactly the same age, the same generation. When you were 14 did you have a job? If not, were you thinking about how to get a job or get money or more education? I did and was and have accomplished much. And I recall back then we were in the midst of MIA bracelets and hearing "Dust In The Wind" constantly. Remember? It was a horrible time. All generations have to make what they can from what they are given evidently. I'm looking forward, (unlike you) to alternative methods for our problems. If you can't look forward what future do you have?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join