It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble's "UFO" Galaxy an appropriate nickname provided by Brevard Community College

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I found these pictures on line and thought I'd share them with you. Surely with all the stars and planets in the universe we can't be by ourselves and isn't interesting the nickname Nasa has given it, even though they do resemble it. Perhaps a Freudian slip? What do you think?

Alton Parrish III

The NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope has spotted the "UFO Galaxy." NGC 2683 is a spiral galaxy seen almost edge-on, giving it the shape of a classic science fiction spaceship. This is why the astronomers at the Astronaut Memorial Planetarium and Observatory, Cocoa, Fla., gave it this attention-grabbing nickname.

www.spacetelescope.org... 9
edit on 31-3-2012 by 1loserel2 because: add

edit on 1-4-2012 by Byrd because: Edited -- NASA didn't name this one. Brevard Community College astronomers did.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by 1loserel2

Adding comment here since it's well past the time I can edit story.
Well, I guess I was wrong about this, nobody's interest is ok. I bow to popular opinion. Sorry about that.

edit on 1-4-2012 by 1loserel2 because: add thought

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Strange name to give a Galaxy that to my eyes doesn't really resemble a UFO , maybe they gave it that name because that's where our disk flying friends come from

I would say this Galaxy more closely resembles a UFO disk .

These pictures never fail to blow my mind , the Universe is just so beautiful .

edit on 1-4-2012 by gortex because: Edit to add

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Yes, I think they're beautiful too. The name is odd, I agree. Glad you liked it.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

and isn't interesting the nickname Nasa has given it, even though they do resemble it. Perhaps a Freudian slip? What do you think?

No, not really. They pick plenty of nicknames that are funny, and some that make you reflect. Some nicknames are great for when they give school presentations and show pictures of the wonders of our universe with such nicknames (rather than the boring astronomical nomenclature) that at least hold the kids attention. And many astronomers are kids at heart as well, so this kind of thing is fun for them.

No sorry, no conspiracy, no big evil NASA trying to keep a secret but letting it "slip" just so some dude(ette) on the internet can scream "aha! caught you!!!"

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Very beautiful indeed.
www.nasa.gov...
Thanks for the new wallpaper!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Did anyone even READ the article?

The first paragraph tells you who named it the UFO Galaxy and it wasn't NASA

The NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope has spotted the "UFO Galaxy." NGC 2683 is a spiral galaxy seen almost edge-on, giving it the shape of a classic science fiction spaceship. This is why the astronomers at the Astronaut Memorial Planetarium and Observatory, Cocoa, Fla., gave it this attention-grabbing nickname.

I know exactly where that planetarium is because I live in Cocoa
and that planetarium is open to the public
It's located at Brevard Community College

The Observatory/Planetarium is the largest public telescope in Florida. It's also free

There are lectures and programs daily. Some things cost and some things are free. I am thinking about getting a membership. The school is right up the road from me too and it would give me something to do when my fiance goes back overseas.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

That's a beautiful picture. Despite that, it doesn't resemble a UFO to me either

Even going off sheer numbers alone in our own galaxy there has to be life somewhere. It's pretty common thought even among MS scientists, so what does that tell you? Anyone that thinks otherwise is just in denial.

top topics

join