It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foxconn guilty of Labour Exploitation (Apple)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
newslink

Fair Labor Association reports

Chinese workers who often spend more than 60 hours per week assembling iPhones and iPads will have their overtime hours curbed and their pay increased after a labor auditor hired by Apple Inc. inspected their factories.

Foxconn is

The company employs 1.2 million workers in China to assemble products for Apple, Microsoft Corp., Hewlett-Packard Co. and other pillars of U.S. technology.

But the truth is that Apple is simply worried about their image becos

But iSuppli's figures suggest that if Apple were to absorb a Foxconn wage increase that keeps salaries level while cutting average working hours from 60 to 49 per week, it would pay less than $2 extra to have an iPhone made.

But 2$ is too much for Apple!

Apple enormous profits — $13 billion in October-to-December quarter — have made it the world's most valuable company, worth more than $570 billion.

just 2 greedy ...consumers know what is goin on but that's not to stop the sale of Apple's products and so y shud Apple care?

"The report will include new promises by Apple that stand to be just as empty as the ones made over the past 5 years," said SumOfUS.org, a coalition of trade unions and consumer groups, ahead of the release of the report.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Yes, but it looks like Apple manned up, and did the right thing.

Apple, supplier pledge to improve conditions

"We share the FLA's goal of improving lives and raising the bar for manufacturing companies everywhere," it said in a statement.

The US Fair Labor Association (FLA) was asked by Apple to investigate working conditions at Foxconn after reports of long hours and poor safety.

The FLA says it has now secured agreements to reduce hours, protect pay, and improve staff representation.

Apple said it "fully accepted" the report's recommendations.

Apple hit by China Foxconn factory report
Other developing Nations will have to follow up on the model set here by Foxxconn. It's about time.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by atsmem1980

I just started working for foxconn at their HP facility in Plainfield Indiana, it is staffed almost exclusively by illegal immagrants, I have never seen this many in one place at once before, it is kinda...........weird......working with so many people all day that don't speak english. The only interaction I have at work in engish is usually on break or lunch.
I had to submit to e-verify ( to prove I am a legal) a background check, a drug test, and then they checked all references and even verified my college education, just for a temp job. So how is it, I go under the magnifying glass to land the same job, that admittedly illegal workers are at, for the same job, and same pay?

Foxconn.........I always feal like I need a shower after work, and I have never broken a sweat on company property.

I honesty feel like I am just the token white guy, that stands around intimidating the help, my job is pointless, it could be done literaly by a trained monkey. Yet it is my job to "quality" check every comp coming down my line, and then upon finding a problem, I don't fix it, ( that would be below me apparenty.
. ) no, I just point it out wait for them to fix it, tell their teamlead, then write a negative report. Since everyone wasn't yet aware that this worker, made a minor mistake I coulda fixed in less than a second( no harm no foul right?). But alas, no, I was given the tongue lashing I deserved, for showing the "help" ( yes those words were used) any kind of humanity. Can't let them forget their place now can we?

It just makes me sick, then I read this in the news tonight and see this thread. sorry!

Rant off.
edit on 29-3-2012 by reddwhite because: (no reason given)

new topics

join