It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I hate Bruce Springsteen!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Bruce Springsteen is coming to Philly and not everyone is as thrilled as you might think. One Philly Post writer wrote an article listing all the things he can't stand about Bruce Springsteen.

I found this hilarious rant posted in one of the local newspaper websites and just had to share.

Why I Hate Bruce Springsteen
The earring, the saxophone and New Jersey for starters.

Tonight and tomorrow night, thousands of Coors Light-guzzling people will cram into South Philadelphia’s Wells Fargo Center to see Bruce Springsteen and his E Street Band perform. Both shows are sold out, with tickets starting at around $100 on scalper sites like StubHub.

My friends, knowing I’m a music lover, keep asking me if I’m going. No. I’m not. I’d rather watch the entire first season of Cupcake Wars while being trapped on an elevator with a diarrhetic mule. (No offense to diarrhetic mules.) Yes, I am one of those (apparently few) Bruce Springsteen haters. And here are the reasons why.

Philly Post

Here's the quick list, you can go to the article for the juicy details:

Reason #1: Bruce Springsteen Is New Jersey

Reason #2: The “Oh, You Have To See Him Live” Argument

Reason #3: The Rock-And-Roll Saxophone

Reason #4: “The Streets of Philadelphia”

Reason #5: Maybe It’s A Mary Hart’s Voice Thing

Reason #6: The Earring

Reason #7: Nepotism Isn’t Just for Philly Politics

Reason #8: E Street Drummer Max Weinberg

Reason #9: The Fans

Reason #10: The Christmas Cover

Knowing how the people in Philly feel about The Boss, I hope someone is working on this guy's obituary.

For disclosure's sake, I don't agree with the writer of this article. I grew up in the 80's when Springsteen's music was most popular so I am a fan but, not a rabid not job fan. I posted this article because I thought other members might get a laugh out of this guy's mad rant.

Enjoy.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Fantastic! Really!

My parents want to go see him here in Germany, and I was a bit afraid after your thread-title, that there are serious accusations against Bruce Springsteen.

Well, in fact, NONE of your criticism is compatible to us over here, we simply don't even understand your critics - New Jersey? So what? Is that a problem b/c of this "Jersey Shore"? We simply don't know.

I love my low-detailed knowledge of us-american showstars!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Only reason I don't like bruce... His music duh!!!
All the things listed are pretty stupid reasons IMO.

We take care of our own my ass!!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I've never thought much of Springsteen's style of "singing." In my opinion what he does is scream a song, and usually in a very monotone fashion.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Bruce Springsteen and Bryan Adams.

Usually it's easy to avoid them, but in the good weather listening to the radio, pottering about in the garden my poor ears just get molested by them. Blaring from everyones BBQ, from every shop and car radio. They haunts me they does...

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManFromEurope
Fantastic! Really!

My parents want to go see him here in Germany, and I was a bit afraid after your thread-title, that there are serious accusations against Bruce Springsteen.

Well, in fact, NONE of your criticism is compatible to us over here, we simply don't even understand your critics - New Jersey? So what? Is that a problem b/c of this "Jersey Shore"? We simply don't know.

I love my low-detailed knowledge of us-american showstars!

Yeah but to be fair.... this guy is huge in your country...and not even ironically

'Nuff said really...

:shk: :shk:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
i hate 'the boss'! i have more talent in my little finger than this dude has in total!
i play guitar and have for 30 years. ive seen sheet music for guitar on his music and its a joke.
this guy just entertains millions of idiots that have no idea about how music works,and he is doing me a service with his unbearable noize,because he keeps his fans away from me! mammoth wailing,and dying stuck in a tar pit comes to mind! the only thing good he ever did was let manford mann do a cover of his song,and even the lyrics are still stupid!
how `bout some real music! mozart,pagannini,hendrix,floyd,or even mumford and sons.
these people are creative artists!
i play banjo as well so i`ll add flatt and scrugs,or even the actor steve martin!
next i`ll here new country is real music

by the way,i hate led zepplin too! jimmy page needs a few lessons!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

two different ideas popped up:

first one:

Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Frank Zappa,
quoted in Linda Botts, "Loose Talk" (1980)

in other words, who gives a (act that is used for reproduction) about that opinion of that journalist? as long as it fills a column in a newspaper that can be sold.

first one:

is there a law over there that forces people to listen to certain artists?
Once again, a Zappa-influenced observation. When he was asked if he made albums so people would buy it, we refused the whole notion. Real musicians make music because they have to. If there are folks out there who dig it, fine! buy the album! if you prefer plastic people, go and dig Lady Gaga ;-)

disclosure: I don't like Springsteens rock music (tend to go for the less selling acoustic stuff he made) but I appreciate him using his position to bring messages across.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Just saw the title, and agree, I actually complained to a radio show this week for giving him to much air time, below is the email i sent:

Good Afternoon Studio,

I listen to your station every day and so far it has been successful in satisfying my auditory needs, however of late It has come to my attention that there has been a noticeable increase in the frequency at which Bruce Springsteen, Aka Springers has been amassing air time. Whilst I am partial to a bit of Springers, a classic artist to get the foot pump going, I have noticed that the song “we take care of our own” has been played with increasing favouritism over other classics. Be that as it may, I believe today I have been the unwitting victim of this auditory bombardment on no less than two separate occasions, initially whilst enjoying a dry handful of mini max cereal this morning (a future classic) and more recently whilst making a brew in my preferred porcelain liquid vessel.

Anyway that’s my point made, and thanks for listening, as I do to you : )

AND THEIR REPLY:

Hi David,

The reason this is played a lot is because it is his current single. It is not a ‘classic’.

The way it works is that new tracks are played on a high rotation. Just like we might play Coldplay’s new song several times in 24 hours, this is having the same treatment. Classic songs feature on a much lower rotation in comparison.

When this is no longer his current single it will be dropped from our ‘A’ list.

Hope this explains it

NB: Please also add the following to your list:

1) Unnecessary hip moving and forward thrusting of the nutsack
2) We only take care of our own song, too drony and airy, sounds like a talking fart

All that said, you can't beat a bit of springers, just not too much.

edit on 29-3-2012 by Nustle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

And.. this does relate to what? The Huff is/was (dunno) big in Germany, but can you guess which group that is/was?

Me neither, I just learned about it from MSM..

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManFromEurope
reply to post by blupblup

And.. this does relate to what? The Huff is/was (dunno) big in Germany

It's called humour... a joke.

, but can you guess which group that is/was?

Me neither, I just learned about it from MSM..

Nope... Have no idea.. just that he was huge in Germany and made albums in German... because nobody else wanted to hear his crap music

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Me, I used to enjoy his music when I was young and it brings back fond memories but, seeing those old guys on stage trying to do the same act they did way back in the 80's is just embarassing.

The worst is Mick Jagger; he looks like he might break something trying those old dance moves. I wish those old rockers would just fade quietly away so I don't have to be reminded that I'm aging just as badly as they are.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
not a fan and I don't understand the appeal, at all. my roommate in college was a huge Springsteen goon. (he's from jersey). So much so that he drove from New Orelans to Nebraska to see a show and travelled to europe recently, with his wife, to catch a couple of shows. He tried to explain the appeal to me every time he tried to convince me to see a show with him. I never went because I really thought I might kill concert goers, and myself, out of boredom so I never got the chance to study the live show for an explanation as to his popularity.
I think it was Robin Williams who did a bit on Springsteen in concert. He starts talking about the summer he was drafted, how young men were dying, people were protesting, he was shipping out in the morning and he was going to miss his family, his girl, how he was scared but he wanted to do what was right and fight for his country and ....this is a song about my car.

That's springsteen in a nutshell.

and, for you enjoyment, here's a clip of Robin Williams doing Elmer Fudd covering Springsteen

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Vixen~
I've never thought much of Springsteen's style of "singing." In my opinion what he does is scream a song, and usually in a very monotone fashion.

Agreed. I don't *hate* *him*, but I cannot stand him and his band in a musical sense, and I have a wide, expansive range of likes. No soul, no art, in their works; for me at least.. Yelling, yelling, yelling, but with no real purpose as in Mr. Robert Plant--some criticize him but I view him as an artist.

Perhaps I am the minority in the world, though...

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I've never understood the popularity of Springsteen. To me his stuff is so generic.

Can't sing, can't play guitar (Steve Van Zandt and Nils Lofgren do the guitars). I think he's hugely overrated.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I didn't know there we so many people out there who hated Springsteen. To think, I was worried about getting flamed for posting this.

Guess I live a sheltered life here in Philly where everyone worships him like a god. Who woulda thunk there were people out there who don't like his stuff?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I dont listen to much, not a huge fan,,, but bruce springsteen used to kill it...

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Try a cover on for size: (WORTH A LISTEN)

edit on 29-3-2012 by IgnorantSpecies because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I like a bunch of songs by him, mostly from the double album The River. And I admit I love Santa Claus Is Coming To Town. But I don't hold him in such high regard as a lot of others do.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

Wow, thanks for posting this. Apparently, both Springsteen and Mellencamp have had multiple transitions throughout their careers. Interesting.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join