It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two faces of prepping

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I will try not to drag on, but I felt somebody needed to talk about this issue. The two hidden faces of prepping. people prep for a lot of different reasons, but they never give thought to the long-term effects. I want to talk about those effects so a small minority will be aware and can take steps to guard what they are predisposed to any way. I am going to talk about is what I witnessed myself. I knew a fellow prepper who was very get up and go about it. He and his family were doing it with gusto. I watched this for a number of years, then one day it occurred to me some thing was different. I use to see a smile on my friends face every day all day. Little by little day by day it began to be replaced. ware once he was a joy to talk to now people dreaded talking to him. his friends began to jump ship in droves followed by his family. That truly pushed him over the edge. He lost every thing, his home his family and his job. He became so depressed he no longer cared to prep because he didn't care if he lived or died. Yes I know its extreme but it really happened. On the good side after two foiled suicide attempts he is getting the help he needs and is slowly rejoining the world of the living.

Now what happen is this. First off he was already predisposed to depression as many are and have no idea. Second he went to extremes immediately. Third he didn't allow time to enjoy the little things in life. He missed out on so much because of that last one. Add the first two on top of it and its a recipe for a ruined life. I am certainly not trying to scare any body away from prepping. I am trying to get people to think in a direction they may not have seen before. I am sure some have seen it but just not wanted to talk about it. I know each situation is different and you have to weight your personal situation and see how it fits. ask around. Ask people who will be politely honest not hurtfully rude. Once you take that step over the cliff it can be a very long hard climb back up. My friend became so overwhelmed and I have seen others become overwhelmed as well. Its easy to do and not easily undone. I have felt it and don't know of a prepper who has taken the time to time to think about what we are doing that hasn't. The difference is what we choose to do with it.

Now we join the other face of prepping. also a friend of mine who was a depressed vet when I meant him. He had no direction in life and had really given up on every thing. We sat playing a game of checkers one day and some how the conversation of survival came up. I mentioned I was a prepper and he showed a spark of interest so I went on. We ended up talking for 4 hours on the subject. The next week I arrived for our game and noticed he was a bit livelier and had a pad of paper and a pencil with him. He started asking questions as soon as the board was set up we never did get to play that day. We just sat around talking about what it takes to live. The next week I brought my laptop and we went to a restaurant for a bite to eat and free wifi. I showed him the wealth of information available and he was in heaven. That was 3 years ago. Today he is in his own place is engaged to be married and has held down a job and is a die hard prepper.

Both of these are extremes but both are very real and extremes happen every day or we would not have any thing to prep for. You never hear any one talk about how prepping can put you into or depression or get you out of one by giving you direction. Both these issues should be in the least thought about at most talked about. I thought ATS would be a great place for this because of the open minds here.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
The difference I see between the 2 people you wrote about is. One, the first was prepping in hopes of something bad happening within a certain time frame. The second, is prepping in the event of something happening, but living life in a normal fashion.

Those who prep hoping for a disaster are prepping for the wrong reasons.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

The extremist will always be disappointed. We all know the type most of us have dated the type a time or two. they love red hot then there love burns out. Its a perfect example of an extremist. Biggest problem is they usually hurt those around them when they burn out.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I probably freak my family out a bit with my attitude toward prepping. But lately I have taken a more relaxed look at it. I cannot prepare for everything, but it does not hurt to prepare for some logical emergencies (curse you Alien invaders).

What helped me was making a list of possible scenarios in our area, and then eliminating ones that given our budget and current house situation were not remotely plausible. It allowed me to take my fear of the unknown and direct it in a bit more focused way and allow some of the stress out. And by keeping these plausible I see that they could cross-over to some far out theory (Aliens Invaders from Inner EARTH!!! Kidding…this is ATS ok...sheesh).

At some point you have to say "I prepared enough and the rest is in God’s(or fates) hands." I realize too I don't want anything bad to happen to my family but I cannot control or prepare enough if it does. And hopefully any skills, training and being lucky or blessed will pass you through the worst of it.

edit on 27-3-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
The reason its not talked about much is because it is the exception not the rule. Most preppers strike a balance. Also I would not call the guy who found direction in life through prepping an extremist. The idea that he could have some measure of control over his life through prepping after seeing the horrors of war was good therapy for him. Some people would have the same effect through a hobby or a job in something enjoyed etc.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

I agree it is the exception not the rule but it still needs to be at least thought of if not talked about. Prepping should be a change in life style. A slow change IMO if done properly but a change none the less. All aspects should be considered and people should be made aware of every different angel. If done right there should be an opening of the mind for a small trickle of information. A torrent however can just over whelm and turn off or in the case of my friend destroy. Its just food for thought.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I was talking to my Mom the other day and I was telling her about some of my latest SHTF reading, her response was, “don’t get to depressed.” I thought that was odd that she would say that but having read your post, it makes sense. My way of looking at all I am doing is just learning a new way of living.

A very smart man said to me, “Preppers are preparing for disaster, survivalist are planning to survive.”

I am a survivor.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AuntB
A very smart man said to me, “Preppers are preparing for disaster, survivalist are planning to survive.”

I am a survivor.

Just don't forget to live at the same time. take some time to smell the roses enjoy a toddler watch a a sunset and rise. In my opinion its those little things that really count.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by angryamerican

EXCELLENT POINTS.

Well taken.

It takes a certain focus on horrifically negative probabilities to do good prepping.

However, I think it is essential to have an optimistic outlook on life.

The contradiction, for me, is resolved by my HOPE IN JESUS THE CHRIST . . . there's no amount of money available for prepping . . . even a Bill Gates class bunker is ultimately vulnerable to unknown forces and factors . . .

imho, at some point, God alone can and will care for those WHO ARE HIS.

Certainly some will be martyred. Their Heavenly reward and glory will be greater.

Hardships will likely be plentiful. Spiritual growth has always accelerated in hardships.

As Viktor Frankl documents in his

MAN'S SEARCH FOR MEANING,

even life in a German concentration camp could be overcome by meaningful focus on something positive--whether a bird's flight; a future new home built in the mind; a relationship to renew . . . God . . .

Certainly if I saw someone prepping without some viable spiritual or other hope, I'd talk quite seriously to them about altering their perspective significantly.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

YES. IT IS the little things that tend to count MOST.

We have today--not yesterday nor tomorrow.

And, Scripture is apt when it says . . . avoid worrying about tomorrow. . . sufficient unto each day is the evil thereof.

It's worth prepping. The Bible also notes that the wise man sees calamity coming and prepares for it.

HOWEVER, WE NEED TO TAKE CARE OF LOVING THOSE CLOSE TO US. Relationships are worth a lot. Not much else is.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I just want to thank the OP for that.

When you consider survival, psychological aspects play a big role and are often neglected by preppers.

Stuff like the OP is talking about is really important.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
There is a third face to prepping. Saw this one myself when I went to visit a buddy. All round he seemed fairly normal. Was orderly and had good discipline for the task. Notebook etc. Generally pretty happy. That way for years. Fast forward to 4 years later. He asked me to pick up some things on the way over to see him. Oil lanterns and wicks, the ubber cheapie type which i didnt understand, but i did. When I got there his home was stacked to the rafters. Just small pathways. I couldnt believe he did that all by himself and also he didnt build a large shed for it. He happily paid for the few things i brought and then added them all to a shorter stack after putting in a plastic bin. I remembered I wanted to borrow a brace and bit for about a week so as not to keep the neighbors up while i worked on a project in the eves and i dont mind the manual approach. So we went out into the garage and I see he now has 4 hanging on the wall. Im impressed. Until I see his smile leave and confusion set in about which one he should loan or as i could see....IF he could loan.

My prepper friend had turned full on hoarder. I could almost see a suffering as he was trying to decide which one he could let out of his sight and then I just told him I forgot and couldnt work on the project due to other commitments and i wouldnt need the brace, at that very second, the light swich came back and so did the smile.

Thats a very real thing. Prepper turned hoarder.

Dont fall in love with stuff. It doesnt float up to heaven too easy.

Live now. Love, share, build good will, and be known as one with a big heart.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

I had never considered that aspect of it just as most prepers/survivalist haven't considered the overwhelming effect I am referring to. Well rare some of these can be real dangers for some people that are predisposed twords them.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

The biggest mistake might be to couple prepping with an apocalyptic scenario (2012 or whatever). Better to prep because it is about freedom and independence. We should be ready for anything.

Fearing 2012 or aliens invading makes us weak, not strong.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Some good points made...

I'd have to think it's all about motivation.

For me, I have something I want to protect. My wife and our future, along with our friends and family.
I'm fortunate enough to now have some of the means to do just that, and actually start this project.

However, I never want to lose sight that while I'm prepping, I really have no wish for anything like a SHTF scenario to happen, and I plan on living life while I'm at it. Prepping is very secondary to enjoying my life now.

But, in any project, you need an end goal in mind. Mine is to be able to have my close friends and family join me on the ranch in the event of any kind of major emergency, whether as temporary as a bad storm, or as permanent as the collapse of society. So, while I check into things, stockpile food, learn about growing my own, and taking steps to reduce dependence on the power company, etc., I still don't want it to become an obsession. Luckily, I'm sure my wife will keep me grounded in that respect.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I have given a ton of thought to this issue in recent days. Every body who has posted has brought up great points. For my one friend it did help but how often in life as we all know it does that happen? In my opinion it boils down to one important issue that I myself had lost track of until recently. If you loose track of the little things and why you are doing what you are doing, you loose track of you and whats important.

new topics

top topics

join