It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A real wood stove

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
OK, i was just looking around Facebook and blam... here was this awesome pic of a guy cooking. If your ever in a bind this is one great way to survive.

This link still will work without you having to be logged in to Facebook.

Enjoy

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by texasoutlaw

That is awesome and could probably be done one a smaller scale with a knife and a magnesium starter to heat a snow trench

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Link doesn't work. Asking for acc.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
[mor

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
What an awesome idea! I bet you could get a good hour or more cooking time!

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
texasoutlaw
This is a niffty idea im going to have to try that but i wonder how hard it is to get it going the wood is going to have to be very dry inside to get a flame going..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
A friend of ours makes one similar to that. He uses a really big drill bit thing, an inch or more wide, and goes down about halfway into the log from the end. And then he goes in from the side, and meets it in the middle, and inside there, he puts a bit of fluff, newspaper, anything dry, and starts it up. It has like, a chimney kind of, and burns great!
I like the one that the OP posted tho, because it would be great for cooking, allow more air flow to go through the log for more even heat maybe?
Either way, its a GREAT idea, and works wonderfully!!

Here are pics of the ones Im talking about.. I hope they work! (these worked GREAT for ice fishing!)

edit on 27-3-2012 by Weeeden because: Pics

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Great idea-Love the way the log holds its shape while burning,giving a good surface to put your pan on.
Is the idea to use an axe to chop the wood?
If so,I would probably tie a rope/belt round the base when chopping it,to prevent the axe from splitting the log too much.

Maybe it would help to have a small regular type fire going as well to feed embers into the log to get it going good.
Great design,as the wind will find a way in from any direction.

I love simple ideas like this,that can be done without buying any fancy cooking stoves/fuel etc.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

It shows in the picture on the right that a chainsaw was used to cut the wood....

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Chain saw bad idea needs gas and is loud. But it works. find a hollow log about 2 feet in diameter thats hollow and stand it on end with bricks to hold it off the ground and start throwing dry wood in . It burns like a jet engine. Got pictures some where

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
This is a great idea... I use a technique similar to this to burn dried/ dead stumps in my new pastures... beats trying to pull them up or bull doze them, which I don't have.

Only now the lightbulb goes off... darn, I guess I am not the smartest man in the world after all.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I've seen that before, very nice, something we have to remember when the world goes to sh!t.
From what I know this was first done by the Finnish but what does it matter, great stove

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

I use a 55 gallon metal drum put it over the stump and start a fire in it of course there is no bottom in the drum but it works good out in my pastures and i don't have to sit and babysit the fire this way it doesn't spread..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
ya this is one of my better post
have not tried myself yet but looking forward to it. will post it when i do.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

great idea but I don't have a chainsaw handy!!

really ingenius way of cooking...

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Ok so i was looking on youtube and found another video similar to the one posted above but how to do it without a chainsaw and how to do it. awsome video this kid created

Wood Stove Torch
edit on 29-3-2012 by texasoutlaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   

thx for posting that. I just sent the link to my Son who is is into hunting and camping.

(I liked that part at the end where is was 'transportable')

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
thats what im talking about!

not like all this made in china crap that lasts 3 days

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
This actually works pretty well, make sure your wood is really dry and ready to burn. Seems like you could make a holder for the pans to sit over the log, log tends to fall. I buried mine a bit to keep it steady, it worked well.

new topics

top topics

join