It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So i just booked a flight to the US - the ESTA

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The ESTA is Electronic System for Travel Authorization, this replaces the information you have to fill out on the plane over (which was not a big deal).

This new system is all online, i have to input all kinda of information (i didnt even have these questions on my driving license application!). It was very complicated and confusing process that left me feeling like im about to have my life history rummaged through quite carefully, i found it all a bit offensive frankly.

Oh and the fun part even thought they already have any info they want from the UK, where im a citezen, i had to pay 14 bucks for the pleasure!!

Do you even WANT ANYONE in your loverly land, ever?

Im only going to stay with some friends for a week, why does it cost me 14 bucks to prove to them with the info they already have that im just a guy and not a threat in anyway.

Ive never been arrested for anything and ive never done anything major wrong morally in my life and i feel worried that the USA will find out i pulled a girls hair in school once and refuse my entry (and ripping up my plane tickets)!!!!!!!!

I dont want to be stabbed or raped or used for drugs as much as the next guy, but Americas got more stuff (including guns everywhere) to be afraid of, its almost funny that someone like me with my history is still feeling so self conscious.

Well i just wanted to bring that up as somone whos traveled to the US twice before ('98, '08) and this time its just insane, even if i do get all the way in the TSA is STILL going to touch up my body and fire xrays through me.

I hope i have a bloody nice time in CA to make up for it!

Biigs.

edit on 26-3-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
if you're going to california you'll have a great time

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Go to Montana.

Run fast from California.

Otherwise, good luck!

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Fist of all the reason it was 14 bucks is because america is trying to steal and collect everyone's money, that's all they really want. then they put you through all that BS so you DO feel insecure, so that instead of getting mad and having a fit when someone tries to put a finger where the sun don't shine you just quietly put up with it. it's depressing how much our government manipulates people. if i were you i'd take my friends and visit canada. i hear they have free health care up there
edit on 26-3-2012 by Bigfoot12714 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Well, you could always travel to northern Baja California, Mexico, and then simply walk over into Cali. People do it all the time and it doesn't cost them a dime, and they aren't hassled by the cops, either.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
My husband has to fill one out every time we go visit his family in Germany, because most of the flights connect through the states. It's brutal because we are in the airport for 6 hrs tops. It's so unnecessary, we aren't even allowed to leave the airport but it has to be done (because they say so). Now we do our best to find a direct flight or go through Reykjavik. I can't stand going through the NY airports or Heathrow, it just starts the trip off badly.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Do you have two legs? Two arms? Walk upright? Do you breath in/out, and have ears? Do you sometimes sleep, or feel like you need to eat something? If any of these things fit your description, you might be a terrorist.

/TOA

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

Oh lordy im all of those!!! i must be a cell leader or something!!!

might as well rip up my tickets now

-
Seriously though, i been a few times and i never had anything but a great time. So providing nothing horrible happens at the air ports (false positive leading to a TSA fingering or something terrifying), i expect everything will be just fine

*calms down*

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Do you want to know why they do this? It's about the money...They want to get more money...Oh...and while they are at it...Let's check into their backgrounds....Yeah, that's a good excuse to get their money!

It's greed at it's finest....

Well, I hope that experience does not put a damper on your time here in the US. Have fun.

Come to Texas! Just because Texas is awesome.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
You better bring some money to spend here lol j/k. Enjoy the country, hate the politicians, eat cheesburgers, watch some football (not my thing)...but apparently a perquisite for being an American.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Texas?!?! I seem to recall only two things coming from there.... Im sure a visit there would leave you feeling violated... JK... Just picturing a short drill sergant screaming about texas.... Guess I watch FMJ too often... such a good movie....

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

It's a shame you have to go through all that. Administration fees should be outlawed. If a business requires someone to process forms/information, they should be paying that person. It's not the customer's responsibility to provide their paycheck.

I've never flown overseas. Can you give a couple examples of the questions that you felt were over the top?

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

I can do you one better.

esta.cbp.dhs.gov...

go and click the first few things to get to the info page (you only need to pay the 14$ after this is all done etc)

Its not TOTALLY outrageous, but CERTAINLY more than they need since all they have to really do is check my passport with the UK databases and pull my entire life up :/

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Thanks for the link. I just checked it out and I'm a bit confused.
It states:

The ESTA application now requires the traveler's country of birth information. This applies to new applications submitted on or after December 22, 2011 and does not apply to applications submitted prior to that date.

International travelers who are seeking to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) are now subject to enhanced security requirements and will be required to pay an administrative fee. All eligible travelers who wish to travel to the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program must apply for authorization and then pay the fee using the following process:

You mentioned that you do have a VISA, so you have to complete this form since they need updated info if you haven't traveled abroad since December 22?
So, if I got a VISA in January of this year, would I still have to fill out this form?

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Texas IS awesome, isn't it?

If people want to see famous Hollywood landmarks and some beautiful scenery, they should go to Cali. If they want to meet some of the coolest, nicest people on the planet, and have one hell of a party, they should go to Texas.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Honestly i haven't a blinking clue mate!!!

I read my emails that came with my tickets and it says on one of them "remember if you are flying to the USA for less than 90 days and do not have a visa YOU NEED the ESTA"... so i just filled it in. Pretty glad i read that email properly and didn't arrive at the airport in a month like a mug and not be able to fly.

Im not good with visas and work permits and such, im just a tourist for all intents and purposes. YOu have to ask someone more clued up, sorry

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Thanks for the info.....sometimes it's easy to miss the various details that many countries impose, and sorting them out can be confusing.

Looking into it, seems the ESTA $14 fee is good for multiple visits, for a period of two years.

Ya know.....might seem a bit Draconian (and yes, the DHS is out of control), but there are lots of little sorts of "details" like this when traveling abroad, too....depending on the State.

And, although working Flight Crewmembers are generally given less scrutiny (meaning, the process through Immigrations and Customs is usually a bit smoother and faster), at least one country (France) used to require U.S. citizen Flight Crewmembers to purchase a Visa....even though regular U.S. citizens do not need one!

(France dropped that requirement in August, 2009)

Source

So.....$14 is a paltry sum, really. (As I recall, the French Visa fee was much more....about $100. [Five-year limit]. And yes, our employer had to cough up the money, to cover the cost. [After submitting an Expense Report...out-of-pocket before that, of course]).

edit on Mon 26 March 2012 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Sorry to go off topic, but I was in Houston for two months a couple of years ago. I hope to never go back.
I'm sure the entire state isn't like that one city, but I have to say that I'm not curious enough to enter the great state of Texas again any time soon. Sorry if I offended anyone. I'm honestly not trying to. I just didn't enjoy my stay in Houston. There was so much trash on the sides of the roads everywhere I went and I've never seen more stray dogs anywhere else I've ever been. These dogs were so stray that they even knew to cross large intersections when the lights changed.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

Thanks for that info, however you are saying that they required a visa because they were landing and technically working? Being airline employees?

Pretty sure you dont need a visa to visit France for a holiday, and besides France dropped that, the ESTA is since '09 as is staying or going to get worse.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Thanks for replying. I have to wonder if they make it intentionally confusing. Hopefully someone will chime in and give more info about this.

In my opinion, I'd think you'd only have to fill this out if you didn't have a VISA, allowed your VISA to expire, or were awaiting a new VISA. At least you've covered your bases. I was not surprised though to see that communicable diseases was questioned on the first page. It does seem as though that is important. I know hoof and mouth disease was a real problem as I'm sure other illnesses are, too.

<<   2  3 >>

join