It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City-funded activist group teaches homeless how to invade apartments

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
City-funded activist group teaches homeless how to invade apartments

This is New York City.

A "non profit" group in the Bronx is teaching people how to squat "homestead"
abandoned apartments !!

They describe every step in detail,
including post office address changes and utility set ups.

They then tell "students" that the courts may actually rule in your favor !!!

This outfit has received $240,000 of taxpayer money over a five year period

Last Updated: 9:48 AM, March 25, 2012 -- NYPost

Picture the Homeless, a Bronx nonprofit that has received at least $240,000 in taxpayer money in the last five years, is giving a crash course on squatting — and city-owned buildings are a prime target.

Two weeks ago, board member Andres Perez held a teach-in on how to wrest “control” of vacant apartments. He called it “homesteading.”

“The best time to enter a building is in the late hours,” he advised a group of about 20, who gathered in front of the half-empty East New York housing complex Arlington Village.
VICTIMIZED: Squatters turned Arlington Village in Brooklyn into a prostitution den, according to a resident.
J.C. Rice
VICTIMIZED: Squatters turned Arlington Village in Brooklyn into a prostitution den, according to a resident.
LAW, SHUCKS: Andres Perez is part of a city-funded program teaching people to break into vacant properties.
Photos: J.C. Rice
LAW, SHUCKS: Andres Perez is part of a city-funded program teaching people to break into vacant properties.

“You make sure you have your proper tools. You remove the chains and padlock, and then you go in.”

He then led them through the next steps — including filling out a change-of-address form at the post office and setting up utilities. After that, “nine out of 10 times the courts will allow you to be able to have control of the property,” he said.

Squating or Homesteading ?

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Let them come try that in my neck of the woods...N. Ga.

It's called stealing in my book. I can't believe they got our tax dollars to teach people how to steal.....

Des

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Why are these buildings empty? If they belong to the banks or the city - especially the city- why isn't the money being given to this group being used to make those buildings available for occupancy?

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
I can't believe they got our tax dollars to teach people how to steal.....

The government steals from us, then gives to this POS group of thieves so they can teach other thieves how to steal. You really can't believe our tax dollars are used that way? This is textbook.

/TOA

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Always got a good read xuan!!

I don't live there, don't pay those taxes
but if this is what the people want
there taxes to go then thats on them..

Also, it does seem a little mean to be
*warehousing* thousands of apts.
that no one lives in when there are
homeless people you could put to work
cleaning them up and keeping the property
clean while giving them a place to stay..

I say let them stay there and set up a plan
where they work and clean up the place
edit on 25-3-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

Squatters don't clean up the place, and improve the property. They sell drugs, prostitute, crack crash pads.

What you are talking about has been tried before. The projects. Look what happened to that grand idea.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Squatters don't clean up the place, and improve the property. They sell drugs, prostitute, crack crash pads.

What you are talking about has been tried before. The projects. Look what happened to that grand idea.

Well it keeps them mostly away
from you and your kids hopefully, that
is a good thing though

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem

Well it keeps them mostly away
from you and your kids hopefully, that
is a good thing though

I would rather put the money towards job training programs. In order to get the subsidized housing and welfare, they must attend job training and then work to get weaned off entitlement programs. That would be self empowering for them.

Working towards self reliance is far better than teaching someone how to squat on someone else' property they worked to buy. jmoho...

Des

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I am sorry if I am coming off as too offensive

But is America run by a bunch of retards? no seriously, I am going to pay people to teach other 'homeless people how to break into so called abandoned houses? everybody here seems to complain Irans government being made up of looney evil men and how they want to get those invisible WMD's, but I dont see a Iranian government funded program that teaches beggars, homeless, junkies and maybe thugs or muggers to break into and occupy houses.

They and their establishment are okay funding and supporting this nonsense, but no one wants to either support, fund or even backup a guy like Ron Paul. Instead the man gets ridiculed when when mentioned in the media. and people want to know whats wrong with america

edit on 25-3-2012 by coirener because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-3-2012 by coirener because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

In a nation where there are 24 empty houses per homeless person, something has got to give.

I don't give a crap if some real estate firm tries to sue. If a homeless person happens to cause damage, then sue. Until then, I'd rather see 1,000 bankers and realtors shake there head out of annoyance than see even one family have to suffer through a winter outdoors.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem
Always got a good read xuan!!

I don't live there, don't pay those taxes
but if this is what the people want
there taxes to go then thats on them..

Also, it does seem a little mean to be
*warehousing* thousands of apts.
that no one lives in when there are
homeless people you could put to work
cleaning them up and keeping the property
clean while giving them a place to stay..

I say let them stay there and set up a plan
where they work and clean up the place
edit on 25-3-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

Who's going to want to pick up used condoms and needles?
Nobody I reckon.

As many abandoned buildings as there are it would make sense to utilize some of them for homeless shelters, but of course residential codes get in the way.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't and meanwhile people freeze to death in cardboard boxes.

new topics

top topics

join