It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Offensive Ads on ATS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I am getting sick to death of being bombarded with ads depicting obese women eating cream cakes, middle aged women in skimpy clothing looking for men, and 'amazing tricks to lose weight' ads. Some of these ads are proven scams, most at best are unscrupulous and offensive.

In the past I have defended ATS use of advertising as necessary to fund the administration of such a great free site, but lately there seems an upsurge in dodgy ads.

C'mon ATS admins, follow your own motto DENY IGNORANCE and stop aiding and abbetting the scamming of your own members.

Rant over...phew...I do feel a little better now

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   

edit on 25-3-2012 by DBCooper71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by MissConstrood

Well this is weird
since posting this thread just a few minutes ago, the ads have changed to bland ads for insurance/holidays etc. Whilst being very pleased about this i'm left wondering...coincidence or conspiracy?

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
You're the second person to complain about these ads, but I haven't seen any of that. The only ads I get are Kohls and Mac ads. Maybe it's just a PC thing or a reflection of websites you frequent.

ATS

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by DBCooper71

Ah thankyou, I didn't know you could choose to stop these things appearing. I'll get right on it

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
i get ads to join the australian army, westpac banking ads and dodgy middle aged womens face cream.

at least infowars has ads that go very well with the website, this is just a bit too much

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

I don't frequent dating or dieting sites, but you have made me think about product targetting. As a middle-aged woman I suppose I am a target for these ads.
What annoys me is that ATS should not promote scam ads, which a lot of these are.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I don't see ads, I just bookmarked the new topics page so I always go there first, I think the ads are placed according to your search on google, but I don't use google anymore if ever if I can help it lol

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazzguy
i get ads to join the australian army, westpac banking ads and dodgy middle aged womens face cream.

at least infowars has ads that go very well with the website, this is just a bit too much

We are seeing the personalification of ads on ATS now, not just on Google.
I'm about ready to send off for one of those cute Russian women on the ads I've been getting in the last frew days from ATS.

The other day I was looking for a large electric motor on the internet. Then ATS (thanks to Google, I'm sure) starts showing me ads for related hardware that not one person in 10k people would be interested in except me.
Such is the internet today. It is not just ATS, however, it is the nature of the beast that we can't refuse. It sucks us in and drives us away (if you care about your dignity and personal identity).

It is getting worse with Google now using your phone's background noise to sell to others (and of course, there will be a feed directly to the security agencies so they can keep better tabs on what you are doing, if not now at this moment, then at some point before you die when you do become a suspect for some reason or another).
edit on 25-3-2012 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
They are indeed targetted advertising. At the moment mine has an ad for a camping destination which we recently booked. As my OH also uses this computer we get alot of the ads targetted at women. What you get depends on your profiling of what it thinks you are.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
The ads you see here are most likely gleaned from the cookies in your browser..

I've noticed that when I shop for, say, a lawn mower, I'll get shown lawn mower ads when I come here.

Tires? I get tire ads.

Underwear? , Yep! Underwear ads...

Empty the cookie jar, and I get a whole different (generic) genre of ads...

So if the ads you are seeing are gross and disgusting, They are most likely your own fault...

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
My son warned me about google a while back...more fool me for not listening

Now, after some very good advice (you know who you are
) I made some changes and i'm a very happy bunny.
Many thanks

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by IrVulture
The ads you see here are most likely gleaned from the cookies in your browser..

I've noticed that when I shop for, say, a lawn mower, I'll get shown lawn mower ads when I come here.

Tires? I get tire ads.

Underwear? , Yep! Underwear ads...

Empty the cookie jar, and I get a whole different (generic) genre of ads...

So if the ads you are seeing are gross and disgusting, They are most likely your own fault...

How could it be her "fault" that because she is a middle aged woman, the ads targeting her are for weight loss products and dating sights? The whole concept that ads "profile" middle aged woman as fat and desperate for a man if single is disgusting!

Recently went to a surprise party for an old friend I grew up with and saw many friends I had not seen in several years and it was my observation in this case that it was my male friends that "put on a few pounds" more than my female friends, lol, we all looked great, in some cases even better than highschool!

Seriously I think the OP brings up an interesting subject that extends even further than ads "targeting" specific age, race and gender groups. Don't even get me started on MSM programing and how sexist, and I would say destructive, it is to both men and women,

As far as ATS goes, I have no idea how the process works when allowing ads on this site, and appears to me that ads I'm getting come more from the internet then this particular site. I do feel you sister as a woman in her 40's...and if i could I might just have to slap that ridiculous, creepy stick lady figure that "reduces" her belly fat over and over...ugh.....

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

I was looking online for a knife I just purchased in a shop in town, now I have house of knifes ads. Was looking for a hydraulic part for our tractor & sure enough an add for a parts distributor showed up.

We noticed this correlation & experimented, we did several searches for chainsaws & clicked links & visited sites...no chainsaw ads have showed up yet....we did recently switch from google search to duckduckgo and this might be why, duckduckgo is a better search than google when it comes to privacy & tracking.

However, I have never visited a dating site yet zoosk shows up in banners all the time. We do find the ads annoying and at times inappropriate, If there was an alternative to ads showing up this would be a great improvement.

Edit: forgot to mention, we tried privoxy for a while and it removed all the ads from all websites...one drawback was some sites seem to not let you sign in or even visit while privoxy is running.

edit on 25-3-2012 by BaZooKaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thebel
I don't see any ads, sorry advertisers and ATS, I have chrome and AdBlock

You might want to check the T&C's. Ad blocking on ATS intentionally is prohibited.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MissConstrood

If you're using Chrome, browse net from Incognito tab, it wont leave cookies and other traces.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I got sick of Devil Inside commercials, wonder is it because I use IMDB a lot. Yeah, obese women and russian wifes mostly.
But nothing will be worse than World of Tanks ad that boomed out of my speakers once, got seriously startled.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

Chrome also has a feature to turn off "Flash player". Most ads use Flash. You can set the browser to only allow session cookies and to auto erase them when you close the browser.

This way the only Flash that works are the ones you activate manually. Like to watch a youtube video you need to click it once before it will display.

I'm getting H&R Block ads.... guess it's time to do my tax return.

edit on 25-3-2012 by SteelToe because: (no reason given)

If you use the Chrome browser, Click "options" menu from the wrench symbol.

Then click "under the hood" then in the privacy section at the top click "content settings"

In the cookies menu check the following boxes

X Allow local data to be set for the current session only

X Block third-party cookies and site data

X Clear cookies and other site data when I close my browser

Farther down on the "content settings" page check the box for plug-ins that says "click to play"
edit on 25-3-2012 by SteelToe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Just install "AD BLOCK PLUS BETA" for Google Chrome. You can find it in the Chrome store its free and works blocks all ads online! A MUST DOWNLOAD FOR CHROME USERS ALONG WITH "HTTPS ENFORCER"

chrome.google.com...
edit on 3/31/1212 by Hawkeyes because: Bad link. had to fix

top topics

<<   2 >>

join