It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latest Studio Ghibli picture: The Secret World of Arrietty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

I recently saw this movie and thought it was great. It's basically a Japanese anime film by a internationally known Japanese animation studio called Studio Ghibli, and it's heavily inspired by the English book "The Borrowers". Personally I'd recommend the UK dubs, rather than the newest American dubs, which are bad in comparison to the UK dubs.

Has anyone seen it? Or any of their movies ? Or am I the only one who's seen Studio Ghibli picture here ? If you guys have only seen this one, I totally recommend Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo. Heck, you can even check out Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away.

edit: for some reason the image ain't showing :/
edit on 24-3-2012 by ZikhaN because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

They are all brilliant movies.

If you ever have the time, watch a movie called "The grave of the fireflies", not studio Gibli, but mate, i gaurantee you will be moved.

I cried like a baby.

vvv

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I've seen it ^^ It is a Studio Ghibli, well, they animated it. It's not by Hayao Miyazaki though, the mastermind behind most of Studio Ghibli pictures.

Have you also seen their oldest pictures, like Totoro ?

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

Oh yes, i am a big fan of their work. The amount of emotion they put into it, and the art they can create is just awesome.

vvv

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
^I totally agree (:

Oh and since it's related, I actually uploaded the only high quality version of the soundtrack on youtube. Guess no one managed to get past the copyright^^

Check it out here if ya want

Arrietty's Song Japanese

Arrietty's Song English

I want to watch all of their movies eventually, I just can't see myself watching all movies in a row, I wanna take my time ^^

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

why don't you try "elfin lied" and "deathnote" they are series but they are not super long ones. I also like ghost in a shell but im a bit of a tech geek so its interesting to me. I saw the movie you posted the thread about i haven't seen grave of the firefly's but i intend to. I highly suggest deatnote its very well done and interesting. elfin lied has one of the most beautiful intro songs in Latin here the link www.youtube.com... ps efin lied is gory plus nudity but its tragically sad and beautiful at the same time
edit on 24-3-2012 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
^Thanks for the recommendations, but I've never been able to watch anime series. I actually have a hard time watching any type of series to be honest. I have tried, and failed usually. I tried with Hunter x Hunter (which I love), but I failed. I tried with The Tudors (not anime) and I failed.

I can only get around watching a good ol' movie (:

edit: Ironically I had some friends and people in general telling me I looked like L from Death Note back when I was into japanese hair styles :p

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I am not a huge anime fan but I love all of Myazaki's works. I agree watch the U.K. dubs or watch it with subs. Ever since Dinsney got their hands on Studio Ghibli, they ruined the English version. Take Totoro for example. The original English version put out by Fox, had voice actors that really captured the spirit of the film. Disney redid it, and used Dakota and Elle Fanning for the voices. So much emotion was lost and it just felt awkward. I choose to watch Arrietty with English subs since I couldn't find the U.K version.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Yea unfortunately. The only good voice in the US dub (Disney version) is Pod's voice (Will Arnett). His deep and awesome voice suits Pod really well. The rest though, are really bad.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I just watched The Secret World of Arrietty about a month ago. I would like to see a part 2 made so I can find out how they end up. Watched Ponyo recently as well. There's something calming about these movies, unlike Western cartoons.

I decided recently I'll have an anime phase for a while so I watched Barefoot Gen too. The full movie is on youtube. The first half hour or so was great and I'm thinking, Oh, the kids will love this, I'll have to get them a copy... and then the bomb dropped. OMG.

top topics

join