It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Travel-Is it possible to manipulate the fabric of time?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   
In Einstein theory of Relativity and Special Theory of Relativity it is believed to be possible, so does anyone have some scholarly opinions on this?

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
In general relativity, mass and energy change the shape of spacetime. It bends under the influence of mass and energy. This causes gravity. In theory, it is possible to bend spacetime in such a way that time travel is possible.

Wormholes are travelling in time somewhat, because they allow you to reach places faster than the speed of light. You could do a search of wormhole metrics if you want to know the math behind them.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
bin there done that. as stated, youve got mass. ur manipulating it. welcome to time travel.

being really really massive is the eaiest way to do it. if ur a black hole anyway. for us, well, figure that one out and ill personally steal the idea from you

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
The basic argument against time travel is rather trite, but thought-provoking.
Often called the grandfather paradox:
If I go back in time to do something, then in my timeline I will already done it, thus removing the need for me to go back in time in the first place...

There's nothing in general relativity that would prohibit time travel, but physicsist are divided - it depends really on many factors. Your best bet, I think, is to find yourself a cosmic string, or hope that one of the stranger VSL theories are right...

As for wormholes, to keep them stable you'd need something with negative (energy) density, and since that's energy/volume, you're going to need something with negative volume. If you know of some, go get yourself a few nobel prizes, don't worry about time travel...

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   
amen to the wormhole problem. that whole anihilating the universe things kinda sux.

you can go forward in time, just hang near a massive object. thats 'easy' and mathematically possible. as far as i know, aside from wormholes (which, as mentioned above, have their own problems) they have yet to prove tiem travel backwards.

top topics

join