It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama-Supporting Teacher Assigns Students to Dig Up Dirt on GOP Candidates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Let me open by saying that I don't normally read this source, but I was sent the article by a friend and it is well worth sharing. That being said..

This has ABSOLUTELY NO BUSINESS in the classroom. There are much better ways to teach government and politics to 8th grade students. There is no need to try to mold the young minds into the teachers on values and beliefs.

This is EXACTLY why I will be homeschooling my children (should I choose to have any)!

A Virginia middle school teacher decided to give the Obama campaign a little help by assigning his eighth-grade class the task of digging up dirt on the four Republican candidates seeking their party's nomination.

Michael Denman, who teaches at Liberty Middle School in Fairfax County, divided his class into four groups and told them to find vulnerabilities and negative information about Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum, Newt Gingrich and Ron Paul.

How incredibly wrong is this? I'm sure we'll be hearing support from the Obama fans on this forum, but I don't there is any argument that can be made on how this can be a good thing for a supposed democracy.

Students were assigned the task of finding "weaknesses" and information that could be used to discredit the GOP presidential candidates. Two students were assigned to write a paper outlining the group's findings, two other students were to construct an attack strategy and two others to locate contacts within the Obama campaign where they could send their findings.

A couple comments from students and parents alike (visit the article for more):

"My classmates don't actually know a lot, but a few of us tended to agree that the most recent instruction on this project just didn't seem right," said one student to The Daily Caller. "Mr. Denman didn't tell us where to find the information, just to research on them."

"I was shocked that a school teacher would so blatantly politicize the curriculum of a middle school classroom," the parent, who describes himself as a conservative, said. "I asked [my child] if a similar assignment had been handed out to examine the background and positions of President Obama to see if the teacher was at least being bipartisan."

This is completely outrageous. I hate what this country has become and I hate what the public school system doles out to the young ones that will make up the next generations.

Source

Let me leave you with the school's policy:

The Fairfax County School District's policy on political activities says, "employees shall not involve their schools in political campaigns, distribute political literature on school property, or attempt to indoctrinate students with their personal political beliefs."

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I'm guessing if the assignment was to dig up dirt on Obama and his status as a US citizen no one here would have a problem with it.

And you're going to home school your kid? Are you unemployed?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I believe I can say with absolute confidence that had this been a teacher in my district, they would rue the day for years to come that they chose to make my kid a political pawn of a National Political campaign. Oh Indeed...

Would that mean violence? Something untoward or nasty? Oh course not...and it's scary that everyone first thinks that. No.. I'd just observe that these days virtually every public agency, department or organization has plenty they'd prefer not be made public for gossip around the 'ol water cooler. Schools are not only no different, they are MORE vulnerable than most.

Use my kid to serve Obama in digging dirt on Political enemies? Cool.... I can play too.
Citizens can spend as much or more time digging dirt on the individual teacher and the school she's employed by. Lets see how this whole dirt digging concept feels to them when it's being done TO THEM and not something they gleefully do to other people. I'll just bet is isn't half as fun.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I am far from an Obama supporter. I support Ron Paul.
This is a great exercise in critical and logical thinking.
Too bad, the teacher didnt include Obama, but since he is holding office, I can understand why.

It is good for the younger generation to do their own research and form their own ideas and thoughts, instead of just taking the word of an adult or a t.v.

I find nothing wrong with an assignment like this.
But then again....I know they couldn't find any dirt on Ron Paul....so what am I afraid of, right?

The Fairfax County School District's policy on political activities says, "employees shall not involve their schools in political campaigns, distribute political literature on school property, or attempt to indoctrinate students with their personal political beliefs."
reply to post by freakjive

Like I stated above. This assignment is not an attempt to indoctrinate students with anothers personal beliefs. This is an assignment that would give each individual student/group information in order to form their own beliefs.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I don't even know where school children would get the resources to find "dirt" on the candidates! I would have no problem with a teach that would put students into groups to explore the weaknesses of ALL the candidates. It would be a good civics lesson, IMHO.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
This is beyond wrong. Children are already brainwashed by their family what political beliefs to have, the last thing they need is a teacher teaching them what their beliefs should be.

I encourage political research in the classroom, but it needs to be unbiased and carefully supervised. I would disapprove of this project even if a 5th group was added to research Obama's faults. At age 13, children should be researching the types of issues that are involved in a political race and which candidates share similar viewpoints to them. And even then is it appropriate for 8th graders to be talking about gay marriage and abortion in the classroom? I would say absolutely not.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by DIDtm

I am far from an Obama supporter. I support Ron Paul.
This is a great exercise in critical and logical thinking.
Too bad, the teacher didnt include Obama, but since he is holding office, I can understand why.

I saw yours come up just as I was about to click off and go do something else for awhile when I stopped and read it. You know, having done so..I really have to amend my own post with once major exception... Had the teacher have set this up to dig dirt on both sides without particular bias or focus...it would be a great exercise in critical thinking as opposed to free labor for the Obama re-election machine. She'd have been a teacher then, not a political pawn. A world of difference..Indeed.

edit on 23-3-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
You are all raising a great point.

IF the teacher had chose to be fair and include EVERYONE in the assignment I wouldn't take issue, but this is simply a conscious choice by the teacher to indoctrinate the children to his own belief.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking
I'm guessing if the assignment was to dig up dirt on Obama and his status as a US citizen no one here would have a problem with it.

If Obama was included with the other candidates in the assignment...you're absolutely right. I have no issue. I take issue with the molding of young minds to be set a certain way. 8th grade is a very impressionable age when it comes to these types of belief systems.

What the hell does my employment status have to do with anything? I have been under a constant state of employment since I was 14 years old (some part time some full time depending on what school allowed). I have been in my current position for just over 5 years. My position allows me to work remotely at any hours I choose, as that's the nature of the business.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I can see doing it -- there's no controversy in the Democratic race, and right now the candidates are running against each other. I think it's a great political science exercise.

Let's face it -- the Republican campaigns are out there busy digging up dirt on each other. Many of the accusations against the candidates have come from the other candidates. I suspect they'll be using Republican sources for a lot of this.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Seems like a easy A considering the political environment around the GOP.

I agree with Byrd.

Perhaps if the Republican party stopped attacking people, groups of people and each other maybe others would stop attacking them.

edit on 25-3-2012 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-3-2012 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by freakjive
Let me open by saying that I don't normally read this source, but I was sent the article by a friend and it is well worth sharing. That being said..

This has ABSOLUTELY NO BUSINESS in the classroom. There are much better ways to teach government and politics to 8th grade students. There is no need to try to mold the young minds into the teachers on values and beliefs.

This is EXACTLY why I will be homeschooling my children (should I choose to have any)!

A Virginia middle school teacher decided to give the Obama campaign a little help by assigning his eighth-grade class the task of digging up dirt on the four Republican candidates seeking their party's nomination.

Michael Denman, who teaches at Liberty Middle School in Fairfax County, divided his class into four groups and told them to find vulnerabilities and negative information about Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum, Newt Gingrich and Ron Paul.

How incredibly wrong is this? I'm sure we'll be hearing support from the Obama fans on this forum, but I don't there is any argument that can be made on how this can be a good thing for a supposed democracy.

Students were assigned the task of finding "weaknesses" and information that could be used to discredit the GOP presidential candidates. Two students were assigned to write a paper outlining the group's findings, two other students were to construct an attack strategy and two others to locate contacts within the Obama campaign where they could send their findings.

A couple comments from students and parents alike (visit the article for more):

"My classmates don't actually know a lot, but a few of us tended to agree that the most recent instruction on this project just didn't seem right," said one student to The Daily Caller. "Mr. Denman didn't tell us where to find the information, just to research on them."

"I was shocked that a school teacher would so blatantly politicize the curriculum of a middle school classroom," the parent, who describes himself as a conservative, said. "I asked [my child] if a similar assignment had been handed out to examine the background and positions of President Obama to see if the teacher was at least being bipartisan."

This is completely outrageous. I hate what this country has become and I hate what the public school system doles out to the young ones that will make up the next generations.

Source

Let me leave you with the school's policy:

It's not wrong at all actually. they can't vote, who cares.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Wow. Some of the responses in here blow me away.

You are ok with indoctrination and brainwashing of 8th grade students so you can "get an edge"?
wow.

First it was the Obama 8th grade military force, now its indoctrination camps- all at public school.
Wonderful.

"dig up dirt". I think he just dug his own grave with that assignment.

Want a critical thinking assignment? Have the students figure out how government is supposed to work, not teach them how its not supposed to work.

No school or teacher should be allowed to let their Political beliefs influence their students grades.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
All they have do do to get a passing grade is turn in the assignment on an
Etch A Sketch.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
The way to balance out this assignment would be to assign a fifth group to look into "weaknesses" of President Obama which could be used against him as well.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoolStoryMan

I believe that is naivety speaking on your behalf. They cannot vote YET. However, these years of their lives help mold their way of thinking for the rest of it. How do you not see that?

I actually think a poster above (Common Good) stated it best:

Want a critical thinking assignment? Have the students figure out how government is supposed to work, not teach them how its not supposed to work.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by freakjive

Originally posted by CoolStoryMan

I believe that is naivety speaking on your behalf. They cannot vote YET. However, these years of their lives help mold their way of thinking for the rest of it. How do you not see that?

I actually think a poster above (Common Good) stated it best:

It's a school project, most kids hate this crap it's not going to mold their thinking, to them it's homework and nothing more.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by DIDtm

Like I stated above. This assignment is not an attempt to indoctrinate students with anothers personal beliefs. This is an assignment that would give each individual student/group information in order to form their own beliefs.

employees shall not involve their schools in political campaigns

I've very slightly enhanced the pertinent part of the school's policy for you.

The teacher needs to be suspended. He has abused his teacher/student relationship, and has broken the trust of the students, parents and school by willfully breaking school policy.

/TOA

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

Okay this teacher gives her students assignments to dig up dirt on some of the worst politicians in American history but god forbid they see a nipple on TV. Shes a hypocrite if she values censorship. Why not just let Newt Gingrich go on a tour across the country teaching sex ed to our children?

Oh yea and there is the massive question of if it's okay to brainwash 8th graders toward a party affiliation, I'm sure their parents are doing a good enough job already.

Instead shouldn't they be... you know, learning something useful?
edit on 27-3-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking

I'd have a huge problem with a teacher doing either was you said or what the OP is about. The teacher's job is not to brainwash their students - meaning: encouraging the student to support one party over another. The teachers job is to encourage the student learn to think and develop their own perspective based on their own ideas and contemplation of unbiased material, not propaganda.

I'd be calling the principal, either way.

One thing I'll say is that the unethical teacher mentioned in the OP was dumber than a brick to try to pull that off and think it would be acceptable. The more I think about it, I would not want that person teaching my kid and I'd make arrangements for that to happen.

top topics

join