It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Animals that kill their young....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Have you heard the annecdotes of animals being birthed only to be killed by the parent?
This is a phenomena which seems to occur during times of great hardship for the species..
The fact that this does occur has sent me to thinking that it possible we humans are reacting to outside circumstances, in a similar manner......
The murders of children by parents, for whatever reason seems to be on the rise.......
My question here is this a natural relief mechanism at work much like the animals ?
Is there some switch being tripped in peoples minds lately that is causing them to kill their own?
This psychological mechanism may work exactly the same as other mamals who have been seem to do so when they are under duress of some kind.
Is it possible our mamallian genes are nudging us to act in similar fashion?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Our mammillian genes? Our marmalade genes. The human race is breeding like flies. really fat flies that find it hard to fly. And where are you sourcing your claims(about parents killing their little johhny) from, so those with a tongue more acidic than mine can spit acid at them?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I think animals kill their offspring for the reasons you suggest but with humans it can be more complicated. We can't really talk to animals so maybe we're just assuming that we know their reasons.

With people, some of the time it might be that the mother is very sick after giving birth and not in her right mind. There's also a lot of murders too by parents who want to punish their partner by killing the children. These are mostly men who can't handle that their relationships have split up. Then you get mothers who want to have a good time but the kids are in the way. Mostly it's mental illness.

Maybe the animals are mentally ill too? I dunno. Interesting subject.
edit on 23-3-2012 by wigit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I realise that there are other reasons for murder........the usual suspects hate greed envy lust etc.....
There are murders of these sorts too, but it seems to me that the phenom is a growing one....
The indcations show that there is little hope for a decent future for many in the comming years....
The current fiscal situations of whole countries bode well for a total collapse to occur....
The prognosis for a democratic future gets worse with every passing law....
Food and everything else will get more expensive, and in shorter supply in the short term at least...(decade or so)
The raising of children for cannon fodder or work battallions does not seem all that glorious compared to the parental hopes of generations recently passed......
This topic is in skunkworks for a reason as well so belay the nasty sh&t and move on if you havent anything constructive to add to the discussion......
We are speaking of very deep and very basic animal drives here.... not reason ....
Psychologically , instictively,its possible we are wired up this way.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
The universe/"god" moves in mysterious ways......creatures being born only to die.....those who get away with murder and never see a day in jail, those who are innocent rotting in prisons for crimes they did not commit....."god"/the universe gives and takes away......there are vast wheels in motion, ones we can barely comprehend.....why would a animal kill it's young? I can think of several reasons....all of which or none of which could be correct.

Why would a parent kill their child.....again, there are many possibilities. Sometimes, I think people are so lost in the dark, they know not what they do.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I was always under the assumption that in this context it is the male species that kills and is killed most often in the animal world. I think this mirrors the fears of Kronos of being deposed by his offspring so he ate them.
Is it not about preserving dominance?
I have sensed an increase in parents doing bad to their kids but I don't know if that is statistically accurate as we may simply be more aware of these horrors.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
If you arent able to procreate you are of no use to the species.

If food is a premium and a procreating parent is risking his own ability to procreate by splitting available resources with a non-procreating juvenile then the species loses.

Biologically speaking where survival of the species is the goal non-procreating juveniles are liabilities.

Leave the nest for your own food, your own territory, find your own mate. Or stay here and be eaten.

Humans of course are anomalous given the propensity to thought, hope, mental and emotional disorder, "morality" and other behavioral traits.

It makes sense. What good does it do me to harbor leeches?

Humans seem to like leeches. They go out of their way to farm dependents and jump through hoops to justify an ever-growing dependent class comprising of a variety of human types.

On the other hand, humans have been known to actively rout leeches as well.

What is it about humans and natural processes? They build walls to prevent them then they tear those walls down to force them. Why cant they just let nature take its course?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

If you were to study the issue, I believe that you will find that animals that "kill their young"--most notably, lions, are the males and not really the parent, but a new partner to the female and their act is a typical one of extreme natural selection. We find this also in birds where the first hatchling one some species willl push the yet to be hatched egg from the nest.

However, infanticile and child murders by parents themselves seem to be on the rise. It perhaps is a course of no recourse, an instinct that comes without rational or even crazy thought. How many times have we heard in the last a couple of years that our children are not going to inherent the world we knew? The world is going to hell and that is only one tell-tale sign. Unfortunately, it is the Western world, the "modern" world that will suffer the most in this general decline.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
with humans it appears to be reversed darwination..
not natural selection
EUGENICS

New York, NY, January 5...More than 83,000 abortions were performed in New York City in 2010 - a full 40% of all pregnancies - down from 41% in 2009 - the New York City-based Chiaroscuro Foundation, a not-for-profit organization that supports alternatives to abortion, today said. The 2010 data was just released to the public by the New York City Department of Health. For the first time ever, the abortion and pregnancy statistics were itemized separately as requested by the Foundation one year ago this week.

"We are glad that fewer abortions were performed in 2010, following a national trend over the past couple of decades, but obviously we would like to see much more significant progress moving forward," said Greg Pfundstein, Executive Director of the Chiaroscuro Foundation. "In parts of the city more than half of all pregnancies end in abortion - this is very, very disturbing."
nyc41percent.com...
New York City has the highest abortion rates in the nation - nearly double the national average of 23%.

What we are trying to do here is guarentee that only the retarded socio and phyco paths survive...
so they can eventually kill them selves off when they have nothing better to do
just for sheets and giggles

edit on 23-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
also for a lot of convictions for "Shaken Baby Syndrome"
read "Simultaneously Administered Multiple Vaccine Death"

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
In most of the cases I see in the news,

Jesus told them to do it...

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Holy mother!
I never thought of abortion!
Im a man so.....sorry.....
Anyways, this is a real new to the species, opportunity that , though being precticed in ages gone by, has come out of the "closet"so to speak, and into mass production......
The whole lion thing, is observed in common alley cats too.....but the parent who does it may be just because the other, the mother animal, is too motherly at the time hormonally to do it.....it would be antithesis to her existance sort of....
Whereas the male has no such connections......
The rabbits are another example of this, and a mother will if threatened or hassled at birthing, kill all the young.
and maybe even the deformed ones too, it been a while....but at any rate i do remember this occurring...
We humans have sufficient reasoning powers to forsee the trends even better than the instinctive reactions of wild or domestic animals....we possess a subconscious that does have its own life at times, as well as a set of inherited basic mamallian genes which are common to many species.....
I know it is a nasty thought, and maybe one which i should seek help for,
but it strikes me that with this increase which i seem to percieve in events such as this....
Every time i hear of the senseless killing of innocent children....whether by the deranged or the instinct driven, it still crosses my mind that this is a growing trend, and i am beginning to want to chalk it up to our own instictive aversions to a bleak and foreboding future which is pervasive in society.....

top topics

join